DAZ Studio impossibly slow in editing

Hi,

I use DAZ Strudio 4.21 on a Core i7 8700, extremely fast SSD, 96GB RAM, RTX 3090 mit 24GB GRAM.

But when editing, it can be extrremely slow. e.g. when I try to pull a hand to another posistion in a scene wit 1 character and envirunment, it takes about a minute to just react. Also loading characters takes at least 30 seconds - which I dont understand when a SSD can transfer 3GB/s and a Quadcore CPU and High-End GPU are processing.That even happens when I use a fast preview like cartooin (in iRay mode I would understand halfway).

What can be done to edit faster? What is this caused by? Do you experience the same effect?

Thanks

Comments

• Both are likely due to a large number of morphs - when loading DS has to check for links between morphs so that everything is hooked up correctly, and when adjusting the pose it has to check to see not only which joints have changed but also which morphs may be linked to the joints and need changing in their turn.

If that is true here then it may be worth using something like Turbo Loader to manage the morphs sets and characters installed, or have a second content directory set with a more limited set of add-ons and use that for posing (this is easiet installing content through Daz Studio itself, at least for the reduced set), then save a preset and apply it to the fully loaded figure from the other content directory set.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727
    edited February 2023

By using Turbo Loader as Richard mentioned, now I have 9500 morphs of G8.xF,Base Figure loading time is 38s with cache which I'm pretty satisfied (zero warning / zero error in log).  You may check how about the related situation at your end, and DAZ log as well.

But pulling a hand takes 1 min to react as you said, it's really terrible. You may try ALT SHIFT + P to use ActivePose tool to drag and push the body parts, see if there's still same lagging ~

BTW, are there many wearables with Smoothing modifiers on your figure? But normally mesh smoother is applied after a pose change... strange~ Pls use parameter to bend your figure's arm for example, see it's slow or not~

Post edited by crosswind on
  • I was going to suggest it's probably a smoothing issue.  I have also learned over time to position/pose characters without any clothing, in an empty scene (or if furniture is involved, just the bare minimum), with base subdiv.  It's pretty fast and interactive if you do that.  If you have a scene full of stuff, including clothing, and everything is high res, it's very slow to get going.

edited February 2023

It may also depend on your hardware... For a bare base figure, even if I give it a Level 4 SubD + Smoothing modifier, the performance of manipulation is still pretty good. Only 2 - 3 secs lagging when using Universal tool to drag the body parts. While using ActivePose tool, nearly no lagging so it's my routine tool for quick posing.

I have a pretty strong PC but lots of my friends have been complaning about such a similar performance issue in DAZ so I believe hardware is one of the reasons. But indeed, if the figure have many wearables with smoothing modifiers, performance might be getting worse. Besides, some 3rd-party geograft products will also delay the pose manipulation~~

I've seen no impact coming from the environments even if there're lots of HD objects as they're not involved in figure's pose change. But when switching to other view mode like wire texture.. and rotating the view, the performance significantly goes down. That's normal in DAZ...

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

In my experience, the killer for posing is Fibre hair. Even making it invisble doesn't help much. That's why some PAs add a Viewport Preview version of the hair which limits the number of fibres in the viewport but not in the final render. I wish that could be said for all fibre hair products but, sadly, not.

edited February 2023

marble said:

In my experience, the killer for posing is Fibre hair. Even making it invisble doesn't help much. That's why some PAs add a Viewport Preview version of the hair which limits the number of fibres in the viewport but not in the final render. I wish that could be said for all fibre hair products but, sadly, not.

Yeah, PR preview with high tessellation value for some strand-based hairs, terrible~~

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,417

The times I have noticed lagging in viewport on my DS 4.15 + 3060 12GB + W7 ultimate + i7/X99/64GB, is when a male character has dense body hair.
    I usually don't use fibre hair

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209

Just a quick FYI on this subject, when I discover things that disrupt my workflow like that - I save them as a Scene Subset (object or environment) or Wearable (cloth, hair, prop, all of the above....) and only load them in after I'm done animating/posing/working with my character. 

Character animators generally never work with their characters while they're "In their environments". Environments and characters are normally kept separate until the end.

If the character must interact with the scenery, only the essential portion of that is kept with the character, and often just a proxy of the (whatever it is the character is interacting with) instead of the final, higher resolution version. 

You'll be amazed at how much smoother your workflow becomes. 

When I need Rosie to sit, I give her a chair - not the whole room that has the chair in it. When she's hacking into a terminal, I might include the terminal or I might just add some lights after i'm done with the animation and add the terminal in post (my preferred method).

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209
    edited February 2023

In this animation, her arms are purposely ignored because they'll be hidden on our left by the person operating the computer and on our right by part of the foreground scenery. The blank background is transparent - like a green screen shot that doesn't need a green key in post.

RT7CPT_IdleBentOverScreen01a132.png
    1000 x 1000 - 965K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Thanks to all for the information! So I know which wheels I can use to influence the editing speed.

My hardware is definitely very high end, this should not be the reason. But I have installed a lost of G8 content in the meantime.
    I will try Turboloader as workaround.
    Is it possible to identify content that may cause hig calculating time? Is there a tool to measure it, like e.g. a plugin time measurement tool in Wordpress?

The environmet in my understanding should not interact whith characters in Daz3D. It has no collission detection in the editor which would interact with a character move. Of course it can allocate graphics RAM and therefore cause the system to exchage data on limited RAM in the GFX card. Some users may see that effect but in my case, 24GB should be enough to hold the complete scene.

The clothing and smoothing modifier of course is there normally when using a character. To remove it and add it at the end would be a strange process. And in the end, clothing must be adjusted in poses, so loading it only for rendering would hardly work. Or does somebody have an idea how to do that in a practicable way?

edited February 2023

NewVision said:

Thanks to all for the information! So I know which wheels I can use to influence the editing speed.

My hardware is definitely very high end, this should not be the reason. But I have installed a lost of G8 content in the meantime.
    I will try Turboloader as workaround.
    Is it possible to identify content that may cause hig calculating time? Is there a tool to measure it, like e.g. a plugin time measurement tool in Wordpress?

The environmet in my understanding should not interact whith characters in Daz3D. It has no collission detection in the editor which would interact with a character move. Of course it can allocate graphics RAM and therefore cause the system to exchage data on limited RAM in the GFX card. Some users may see that effect but in my case, 24GB should be enough to hold the complete scene.

The clothing and smoothing modifier of course is there normally when using a character. To remove it and add it at the end would be a strange process. And in the end, clothing must be adjusted in poses, so loading it only for rendering would hardly work. Or does somebody have an idea how to do that in a practicable way?

I haven't seen any tool to calculate the assets loading time but just DAZ log.

Smoothing modifiers are only applied after figure's pose change, they do not interfere with the course of  'dragging a body part'. If there're many garments with modifers, I normally turn them off when posing the figure. Especially when using memorized pose or timeline for dForce clothing, smoothing modifiers with high iteration values will result in a long time of simulation. Then turn them on before the final render ~  

BTW, have you tried ActivePose tool to do the same draging?  Any lagging there?