[Solved] DAZ, Blender, Substance Painter and tile workflow

arthenicsarthenics Posts: 138
edited February 2023 in New Users

Hello,

I wanted to create some textures, using Substance 3D, for a custom figure modified in DAZ but when I import the obj in substance, the tiles (1001, 1002, 1003, 1004) are not grouped as they are supposed to be. I tried several things in Blender, as changing material names, recreating UDIMs but with no avail. Does anyone know the process to create custom skins from DAZ to Substance (and go back from Substance to DAZ)?

Post edited by arthenics on

Comments

• Make sure you are not selecting the Collapse UVs option in the DS OBJ exporter options.

• I've tested again, the tiles are not collapsed, for head, body, legs and arms, there are the 1001,1002,1003,1004 UV tiles but Substance keep them separated. I can't manage to group the tiles in order to paint over.

Where, in tutorials and samples, I should have a group "body", with tiles 1001,1002,1003,1004, each groups remains a 1 UV group.

The left column shows how it appears in Substance, and in Blender you can see the tiles are not collapsed (the 1001 is dark because it shows eyelashes, mouth etc. UVs too).

I've tried to rename materials the way they suggest in Substance, no changes.

Tile_Workflow.png
    2286 x 1002 - 496K
  • I kinda fail to understand the issue...  and to be honest I also wonder if this issue is actually related to Daz Studio.

The main issue wrt texturing in Painter are the UV maps. You mentioned a custom model which immediately points at the software where this model was created; what did that do with the UV maps?  Another issue to keep in mind is the Painter project, in specific: which UV Tile settings were used when importing the mesh? And was auto-unwrap used? If so: was the layout customized and/or optimized?

There are a whole lot more factors to weigh in here besides Daz Studio.

As for your question wrt texturing Daz figures with Painter and bring these customizations back... I actually made a Steam guide for that. This guide goes into detail on how to export Genesis figures from Daz Studio and import them within Painter (2022) in order to texture them. Maybe that can give you some ideas? Of course I'm focussing on Genesis figures which already have a specific UV map assigned to them.

Hope this can give you some ideas!

• arthenicsarthenics Posts: 138
    edited February 2023

The problem is solved.

In Substance tile workflow, the way they explain things, we can come to think that tiles are grouped/allocated by name. That's not the case, they are grouped by materials only.

In other words : in Blender, I had to change the materials allocation and use one common material for head, body, arms and legs and re-export the obj, in order to be able to use tile workflow. Instead of using "head", "body", "arms", "legs" materials, I only have one material "body" (but keep the UVmaps and seams).

Post edited by arthenics on