Fastest PC/Video Card for DS Studio

Still looking for the fastest PC for DS Studio.. Something I can buy all together, or per piece. 
Is there a maximum memory that DS will use?

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

memory is dependent on the OS, not the application.

Most everyone appears to be good with 32GB RAM. 

AMD or Intel CPU appears to be a matter of preference, more cores is better for rendering when the GPU limits are reached, less cores at higher speed is better for navigating. Avoid overclocking, it's an unnecessary strain on voltage when most modern CPU's will

approach OC speeds on their own as the application demands

An Nvida GPU, preferably one with 8 or more GB of DDR5 RAM, thats the 2xxx,3xxx and 4xxx series cards although I use something less and it's still snappy.

you can use this link to put parts together and it will suggest what else you need, power supply, etc.

https://pcpartpicker.com

Posted 15:16 UTC-5

• skyeshotsskyeshots Posts: 148

inspired_art_86a3f09735 said:

Still looking for the fastest PC for DS Studio.. Something I can buy all together, or per piece. 
    Is there a maximum memory that DS will use?

I guess this depends on your budget. A fast consumer grade build would probably be an intel i9-13900K with a RTX 4090, figure around $3500. You can do well though with a basic setup for about $1500 USD.

Daz will rarely exceed 3x your VRAM. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

32 GB RAM and 8 GB GPU memory are closer to minimum requirements than fastest.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

the fastest computer will only be as fast as its slowest component. I have 64 GB RAM but I dont think I've ever tipped 32 even when I forget to quit out of Blender and Photoshop before I click render. . If its a question of investing in a better GPU or upgrading from 32 to 64 on the same budget I'd personally take the GPU, then do the RAM later if it's needed. Despite what we are told is a crypto mining decline GPU's are prices are still all over the place My 1660ti is going over what I paid in 2019. 

• Also looking around at new system.  Have been using iMac (late 2015) for years with AMD graphics card with 4GB VRAM.  Just started using Daz this last year (switching over from Poser) and have been told recently that the mac doesn't even use the GPUs on the AMD when rendering in Iray. True or false?

If true, looking to move back to PC (something upgradeable, unlike my Mac).  Any idea how much difference in rendering time I would see between my current system and the minimum stated above? (32 GB Ram and 8GB GPU)

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,095

teechurz_7c41d96282 said:

Also looking around at new system.  Have been using iMac (late 2015) for years with AMD graphics card with 4GB VRAM.  Just started using Daz this last year (switching over from Poser) and have been told recently that the mac doesn't even use the GPUs on the AMD when rendering in Iray. True or false?

True. Iray only works with NVidia cards. 

• butterflyfish said:

Also looking around at new system.  Have been using iMac (late 2015) for years with AMD graphics card with 4GB VRAM.  Just started using Daz this last year (switching over from Poser) and have been told recently that the mac doesn't even use the GPUs on the AMD when rendering in Iray. True or false?

So all the renders I've been doing to date have all been using the CPU only? Or have all my renders not only been very slow but also very lacking? 

• teechurz_7c41d96282 said:

butterflyfish said:

So all the renders I've been doing to date have all been using the CPU only? Or have all my renders not only been very slow but also very lacking? 

Yes, they have used the CPU only if your mac has an AMD GPU.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,147

butterflyfish said:

There's no difference in quality between a CPU render and a GPU-accelerated render, only a difference in speed.

• That's what I thought, because the renders sure look good.  They just take forever!

Thanks for the info!

• skyeshotsskyeshots Posts: 148

That's what I thought, because the renders sure look good.  They just take forever!

Thanks for the info!

Even the best CPUs will only render 1/10 the speed of a good GPU. If you are building specific for Daz, I would say go heavy on the GPU & RAM and go light on the rest of the system.

• edited March 2023

I'm currently eyeballing a used gaming system that has 64 GB Ram (expandable) and an Nvidia card with 10 GB VRAM.  I'm looking mostly to cut my rendering time down a lot since I don't really do animations.  From what it sounds like, this will be a hefty improvement over my iMac. Comments?

Post edited by teechurz_7c41d96282 on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

What's the specific model of nVidia card?

• edited March 2023

GeForce RTX 3080

Post edited by teechurz_7c41d96282 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,025

It will definitely be an improvement over your iMac, providing your scenes fit in the VRAM of the GPU.

• Leana said:

It will definitely be an improvement over your iMac, providing your scenes fit in the VRAM of the GPU.

I can't imagine they wouldn't.  I rarely use more than maybe a G9 and 2 G8s (fully clothes and textured with hair) in a scene with a surrounding environment (usually a room of some kind).  I'll check the actual sizes of some of my scenes when I get a chance later today.

Thanks for the feedback!