When enough is enough?

Unless you are independely wealthy, you can't buy every package that comes out. At what point do you decided that you have enough characters, clothing, footwear, hair styles, etc.

Comments

• backgroundbackground Posts: 358

Just before you give up and start a new hobby.

• Or slow down and be more selective about what, if anything, you buy. It would be nice to reach that point.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

When you have everything you need/want to tell the story you're telling. Also, when you've left 8,000 items uninstalled because they are no longer needed.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,238

Drogo Nazhur said:

Unless you are independely wealthy, you can't buy every package that comes out. At what point do you decided that you have enough characters, clothing, footwear, hair styles, etc.

I think this is a terrible hobby if you are a collector or a completist; I look though my roughly 350 pages of products and follow a very Marie Kondo outlook about what I purchased.  Pretty much everything "sparks joy" as a purchase and I have very few regrets.  Buy what you love and leave your worries behind.

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 234
    edited March 2023

Eventualy you realize that DAZ releases new content daily and you only have 2 kidneys... :D

Post edited by Tomhip on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

there are always drives with more terabytes you can buy for storing more content

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Drogo Nazhur said:

Years ago! 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

I don't know.  I own over 3/4 of the items in the store and still buy...

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Cybersox said:

I don't know.  I own over 3/4 of the items in the store and still buy...

I'll never get itwink 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Tomhip said:

Eventualy you realize that DAZ releases new content daily and you only have 2 kidneys... :D

LMAO! I am more selective now that I have a specific idea on things I need for my personal projects based on my time and experience with DS and DAZ content. Luckily I also do some commercial work which allows for getting products I wouldn't normally use. I also model many of my own props and other things I need when I can.

• When you see something you think is cool, add it to your cart, then realize you bought that item two years ago and have never used it. Time to stop...

• The hardest thing to resist is feeling like you need to buy something JUST BECAUSE it is "shiny and new". There is ALWAYS a sale and anything you buy for twenty-five bucks right now could be purchased for $2.99 at some point in the future. If you don't NEED it RIGHT NOW there is nothing stopping you from buying it later.  <takes a deep breath> Later.

<panic breathing> Unless they remove it from the store like they sometimes do! In that case you need to buy it MOMENTS after the store updates each night!  "Hurry! Hurry! I just KNOW it is going to disappear, but I'll get MINE!" <gasping and frantically processing the shopping cart>

Serenity now.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,723

I've struggled with this issue for 22 years. I've never done anything significant with any of my DAZ stuff. I've stepped away for months or years, only to come back for awhile. I think the final Death Knell came with the arrival of Genesis 9.

I bought a couple morph packages, and had to hunt for the items I'd purchased. They were tucked in a "DAZ Originals" folder. I never look for a PA's name when I buy my stuff. I don't like enduring a guessing game to use my stuff. I finally admitted this problem will never end. I stopped buying stuff months ago.

• nemesis10 said:

Drogo Nazhur said:

I think this is a terrible hobby if you are a collector or a completist; I look though my roughly 350 pages of products and follow a very Marie Kondo outlook about what I purchased.  Pretty much everything "sparks joy" as a purchase and I have very few regrets.  Buy what you love and leave your worries behind.

This, actually. It's funny that someone says it specifically, but I suffer from this: I'm a collector, and it was all too easy for me to switch focus from buying enough stuff to reasonably do a scene for the story that led to me to this hobby, and becoming obsessed with buying everything I might ever need to do any scene in any of my stories, ever. I'm still new enough to Daz that I remember when I had the stock stuff that comes with Daz, and a few items I had bought, and every horrible, klunky Daz-newbie scene I did at that time had these characters in one of a couple of hair items I had at the time, and various items of clothing from the one "mega" set I bought in my first dabbling purchase. A year and a half later, I have so much stuff that I constantly run into something in the store that I already had and forgot that I bought. Not healthy, or useful.

Ron Knights said:

I bought a couple morph packages, and had to hunt for the items I'd purchased. They were tucked in a "DAZ Originals" folder. I never look for a PA's name when I buy my stuff. I don't like enduring a guessing game to use my stuff. I finally admitted this problem will never end. I stopped buying stuff months ago.

Content Library / Products / 0-Z

Simply knowing the name of the product finds it for you. Abandon the Poser legacy folders. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

I have very little money for content these days, so I don't buy much in general, and when I do, it's almost exclusively things that will fit into one of the two ongoing projects I have.

• kwerkxkwerkx Posts: 105

Everything I buy get's put on a list and eventually rendered.  It's a throttle, that slows my buying when the list is too long.  The downside is that I get into a test render rut.. just matching stuff up to render and cross off my list.  Upside is I get a render of the object as I percieve it.  Also, like to render like clothing items next to each other every so often.

Recently, my "to render" list has gotten shorter and I've started focusing on characters and clothes.  This is probably more to your point, I have a collection of characters I like (favorites) to render; so, I've slowed down on those.  Clothes.. I have some interesting outfits, most of which don't work with the casual settings I like; so, I'm more picky now.

tl;dnr: (1) know your collection and (2) discover your style 

• oddboboddbob Posts: 347

Is it something I'll use a lot?

Do I have anything similar?

Is it much better than any similar items I have?

Is it at least 80% off?

Is the price dependant on a ridiculous sales gimmick?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982

After undergoing extensive therapy for shopping addiction. wink

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,460

I stopped when Genesis 9 came out... with the $30 to $60 characters whose only selling point was something about the eyes being better. And I had learned from Genesis 8.1 that not everything is a significant upgrade. It's gotten to the point that the stuff you already have looks as good as anything new that will show up. This won't change unless they come out with one of the major features people have wished for in vain for a long time now. Like the "soft body physics" and whatnot. Also, any time I see a new outfit I like, I look in my archive to see if I already have one just like it. I almost always do.

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,024

Richard Haseltine said:

Or slow down and be more selective about what, if anything, you buy. It would be nice to reach that point.

I have over a hundred PAGES in my library and that's only from here not counting the packages from other sources.

xyer0 said:

When you have everything you need/want to tell the story you're telling. Also, when you've left 8,000 items uninstalled because they are no longer needed.

I have three drives dedicated to DAZ -- my hard drive is filled with only DAZ stuff and an external drive is also filled with DAZ stuff and I am not on a SECOND external drive.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

there are always drives with more terabytes you can buy for storing more content

I'm up to three drives devoted to DAZ

wurger said:

When you see something you think is cool, add it to your cart, then realize you bought that item two years ago and have never used it. Time to stop...

I'm discovering that I have a lot of stuff that I haven't used yet

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

My problem is that whenever I look at a product I like in the store, I imagine in detail what I'd do with it, buy it then forget about it because in my head I already created what I wanted. Or I buy a bunch of $1.99 or super discounted items just in case I'll need them later because they may not get this cheap again. But by now it's really hard to find things to buy that aren't very similar to what I already have and then I buy something super weird like some of Oso's stuff to spark my imagination and do something different and still never get around to doing it because I've already done it in my imagination. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I've taken to still looking when the store changes over, adding to my cart and then going to bed and sleeping on it. 8 times out of 10 I either forget about it completely or clear the cart. LOL

• The WORST is when you JUST GOTTA have some new thing and then don't get around to using it until after you notice it in the deep discount bin.

I think I have only bought something at full price three times in the last 14 years, and only because I needed it for a render that I needed to complete that same day.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,723

xyer0 I don't see what you're talking about. I can tell you I don't find so many things because things are scattered all about.

Ron Knights said:

xyer0 I don't see what you're talking about. I can tell you I don't find so many things because things are scattered all about.

In Daz Studio: Click on the Content Library tab. Look at the folder structures Daz3D, Poser, etc. There should be maybe five. Products is at the bottom, I think. Click on Products. A Numero-Alphabetic vertical list will open. Click on a number or letter, wait, and it will open to a list of products. (The wait could be a minute if your drive is slow, full, or if you have a lot of products under that alphabet; numbers are quick).

• When the characters you have created in Daz Studios tell you to stop.yes