When enough is enough?

Comments

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,032

Torquinox said:

If you have stuff and you can do work with it, do that work. Hundreds of figures and thousands of items might be too many or not enough. I think it's both at the same time.

The organization issue is real. The more stuff you have, the worse it is. I've forcibly tamed a lot of mine. There are still pockets of resistance, but they are all falling into place. Problem is, not everyone wants the same organizational structure. Also, items from other stores have to be carefully managed. Generally, it's easier to manage newer items that live in the Daz file structure. Poser file structure is more of a nightmare. My management of those products is only good for Daz. Nothing to do for it!

I don't have to buy anything ever again, but I like a lot of the stuff I've seen. Plus, I've got some items that are made from bits and pieces of many other items. You can't do that if it's not in your library. And yes, I've got stuff I don't know I've got. That's always interesting.

Ironically, budget shortage is not especially a limitation to accumulation. Perhaps enough is never enough.

Budget is shortage is not the issue but space shortage is. I have my hard drive filled with most DAZ stuff, an external drive completely filled with DAZ stuff and now I'm filling up a second external drive. I have no more USB ports to hook up a third drive to.If I don't put a brake on things, my next step is going to be going to larger external drives.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,548

Drogo Nazhur said:

Budget is shortage is not the issue but space shortage is. I have my hard drive filled with most DAZ stuff, an external drive completely filled with DAZ stuff and now I'm filling up a second external drive. I have no more USB ports to hook up a third drive to.If I don't put a brake on things, my next step is going to be going to larger external drives.

I read that. So, the more painful question: In gigabytes and terabytes, how much material are we talking about?  Maybe a new, bigger drive would hold it all?

For comparison, I have a 4Tb drive that I use for data storage. I have a directory that contains zipped and unzipped folders of material from Daz and other sites. That's about 443Gb. And I have my DS library that contains all my ready-to-use Daz materials. That is another 420Gb. And I have a download cache of material I've gathered and haven't really ssorted yet. That's another 18Gb - So almost 900Gb all told. Seems like a lot, but more than half of it is backups, duplicates - Stuff I haven't even looked at yet. It's too easy to be a digital packrat.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,456

Torquinox said:

I read that. So, the more painful question: In gigabytes and terabytes, how much material are we talking about?  Maybe a new, bigger drive would hold it all?

For comparison, I have a 4Tb drive that I use for data storage. 

4TB's is a good start... I'm at 25TB's across 15 drives cheeky
    Not just DS though... 

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733

I have an 8TB hard drive, and so far am only using about 2TB.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,436

i used to buy from several stores, not just DAZ, so I have as much from DAZ as the other ones ... overload. It was really bad whenb I used Poser and DS, especially when DAZ cut off the G series being usable in Poser, Otherwise I could stick with one program and use all stuff. 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,227

Would it be enough when you ask a question like this?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

Oh My!? decisions decisions?, $2000 for a new graphic card that only good for about a year before its obsolete and you need a a new and improved one., or $1500 for a new DJI drone that flies for years to come?

Don't y'all think computer hardware cost is ridiculous?

I think its time to slow down buying 3d content when you have so much stuff that any thing new is released it's very similar to what you laready have purchased in the past only been upgraded or refreshed so that you have to upgrade your (pick-one)computer/gpu/monitor/hard drive. every time there is a new version of daz laugh 

I'll take the new drone for $1500  http://www.ivysdomain.com/Gallery/Drones/Drones.html

• Practically speaking: Enough might be enough when you spend more time shopping for and testing new stuff than you do actually doing creative work; when acquiring stuff not only becomes its own end but also supercedes the original practical, stated purpose of the exercise. I speak at least for myself in saying that I flirt dangerously with that edge.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Drogo Nazhur said:

Torquinox said:

If you have stuff and you can do work with it, do that work. Hundreds of figures and thousands of items might be too many or not enough. I think it's both at the same time.

The organization issue is real. The more stuff you have, the worse it is. I've forcibly tamed a lot of mine. There are still pockets of resistance, but they are all falling into place. Problem is, not everyone wants the same organizational structure. Also, items from other stores have to be carefully managed. Generally, it's easier to manage newer items that live in the Daz file structure. Poser file structure is more of a nightmare. My management of those products is only good for Daz. Nothing to do for it!

I don't have to buy anything ever again, but I like a lot of the stuff I've seen. Plus, I've got some items that are made from bits and pieces of many other items. You can't do that if it's not in your library. And yes, I've got stuff I don't know I've got. That's always interesting.

Ironically, budget shortage is not especially a limitation to accumulation. Perhaps enough is never enough.

Sounds like you could use a USB hub. LOL Been there, done that ;)

I think it was a year ago that I finally got a more powerful PC. I literally loaded and rendered everything I had with incredible ease. In the end I had maybe 100 images that no one will see. I just dont have any outlet or fans to see my stuff.

I don't know when I'd have enough money for another PC upgrade. But I don't really care. I'm bored and frustrated.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited March 2023

As far as realism goes, the clothing and the hair both have soooooo far to go to get me back into buying it. The tech just isn't there for it, not to be insulting to the artists, sorry. I've got more than enough of the various 3D cartoon looks, including realistic but not quite really. 

I have about 500GB DIM install files and those DIM install files are about 1TB installed. They are on an internal 2TB SSD but in Apr - Jun I will be buying a half dozen or so 3.2 USB SSD drives and split my Windows and osX Documents folders according to functionality. DAZ, Blender, & 3D app work on one SSD, Unity development on another SSD, UE4 on another SSD, general compilations on another SSD, DAZ, Unity, UE4 asset store purchases on another largest external SSD. Yes, it's going to run into some money but not excessively so if I can actually afford to be doing that.

I will not be buying not nearly as much at DAZ or the other 3D places in the future but working on utilizing the parts of the DAZ 3D Store I've bought that I've been accumulating for. Obviously, I'm not going to be utilizing over 7000 DAZ 3D products but I bought with an eye to having enough to aimlessly wonder through my runtime and makeup up scenes by the seat of my pants. A few years back, I was finding myself regularly having to buy things in the DAZ Store to do a scene that had got in my head because I didn't have the proper models to execute the scene ideal.

I've actually very happy with what I've purchased and have no regrets, particularly in hindsight seeing current pricing and my need to spend what little extra money I have more consistently on other household projects and get them to completion.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

To be honest, I think enough now HAS to be enough - But that's down to income, and personal circumstances. Which means there's no money on the horizon for a new PC either.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

hoarder mentality

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558

While I can appreciate the comments here and I am in similar situations with limited purchases as of late, to answer the OPs question, it's never enough. DAZ is a business afterall and it's main goal is to make money off of 3D content (unless they have a side gig and are just doing this for the fun of it or a hobby which I highly doubt) I wonder how many here would be upset if DAZ just vanished like my fav coffee shop that went out of business due to poor sales. Imagine being left with DS version 4.21 with no chance of ever getting an upgrade or it not working due to newer windows or drivers and no support or being stuck with undeveloped G9 and no new content for any figure, or no forum or gallery for those that use it. So spend what you can, or better yet, try to others involved in this 3D spending madness, LOL

Ron Knights said:

I think it was a year ago that I finally got a more powerful PC. I literally loaded and rendered everything I had with incredible ease. In the end I had maybe 100 images that no one will see. I just dont have any outlet or fans to see my stuff.

I don't know when I'd have enough money for another PC upgrade. But I don't really care. I'm bored and frustrated.

Too bad about no outlet. I'm curious to see what you did.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

It was actually easy. With interest rates so high, I'd rather pay down credit cards than add to my library of "sitting there" products. I'm even passing up 70 percent off deals, and not touching Genesis 9 stuff is easy to do. I like Genesis 8 just fine.

• inception8inception8 Posts: 280

Well hey if anyone feels like they've bought themselves too much stuff you can always buy me stuff.laugh

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,293

LOL Inception, too bad it's illegal according to Daz rules.

I rarely buy anything, over 75% of what I have is freestuff, either permanently so or the weekly, monthly and holiday stuff. Oh forgot winning art contests for gift cards to stores. I only have 58 pages in my daz library, rendo only has 11 pages and most of the items on those pages I got for free.

As for storage, I invest in DVD's, much cheaper then harddrives, and I take very good care of the disks. I recently have adopted a new look at items, won't grab anything that is non commercial, doesn't have a readme or a way of finding an artist to see if it's commercial or give proper credit (something most don't do these days). That new outlook just deleted 700 gigs off my drive. I don't need someone coming after me for TOS violations.

And finally, if it's something really simple, I make it and slowly venturing into doing more complicated things

• skyeshotsskyeshots Posts: 148

Drogo Nazhur said:

Unless you are independely wealthy, you can't buy every package that comes out. At what point do you decided that you have enough characters, clothing, footwear, hair styles, etc.

Deciding when you have enough characters, clothing, footwear, hair styles, and other assets in your Daz library is a personal choice that depends on your budget, preferences, and specific project needs. It's kind of like building a LEGO set. Sometimes, you have all the pieces you need to create something amazing, and other times you need to buy a few more pieces to complete your vision.

To build up a useful toolbox of assets without breaking the bank, I suggest taking advantage of the 20% gift card sales that Daz often offers. This way, you can stock up on credits at a discount and then be more selective when making purchases. It's important to find a balance between having enough assets to work with and being cost-conscious.

Ultimately, everyone has their own sweet spot when it comes to their Daz asset library. Some people prefer to have a smaller, carefully curated collection, while others enjoy having a vast array of options at their fingertips. It's all about finding what works for you and your specific needs, while also supporting the artists and creators behind these assets.

• When is enough really enough? I don't know, but I think I am probably getting close. Searching through my content is taking longer, and poses are harder to find. It's becoming easier to make poses/props than find ones I'm fairly sure I have, I think that may be an indicator. Regards, Richard.
  • ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
    edited March 2023

Drogo Nazhur said:

Unless you are independely wealthy, you can't buy every package that comes out. At what point do you decided that you have enough characters, clothing, footwear, hair styles, etc.

First things first... "old stuff" is more than often still easily usable with "new stuff". For example, I'm still to this very day a huge fan of Genesis. So, the very first generation, and I got plenty of stuff for it. Sometimes it may need a bit of tweaking but I can make a lot of the "G1 props" work with Genesis 8 easily.

However, the main aspect for me was focussing on how stuff gets made. Eventually I ended up purchasing licenses for ZBrush as well as Substance Painter & Designer. I also decided that I wasn't going to bother with Genesis 9 but instead focus more on G8 (esp. with all the discounts) and use my new tools for everything else. I no longer buy much stuff, I make it myself (or make a valiant effort).

Also noteworthy: Substance Painter (+ Designer) are seriously useful here. I've made plenty of G1 clothes become fully "Iray compatible" without too much effort. More effort was put into using Designer to actually create some generic Iray materials which I then used as well.

That's my answer: focus on the source!

I've been using ZBrush for 3 or so years now, it's my #1 (and also only) 3D editing tool. I still got a lot to learn but... also making progress.

(edit): Hair?  Fibermesh! ;)  Or... editing existing hair and then using that to create something more. I can only share deep respect for Daz Studio because despite being free... it provides so much options. Like, say, rigging hair ;)

Post edited by ShelLuser on

In my younger days I disccovered Poser and DAZ Studio & DAZ3D. In the early days I gleefully splattered my art and words all over. It took me a long time to get past my weakness and mistakes. Now, after 20+ years. I am quieter and wiser.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Ron Knights said:

What do you mean with "no outlet"? I mean, I can understand the "no fans" part, I don't have them myself, so I know it's frustrating if you get zilch hits, feedback, likes, or whatever the place does where you post. smiley

You could post your images in the forum without much of a hassle setting up a page or something: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/art-studio

Or the DAZ Gallery, which is a bit more trouble than the forum attachments.

There's also the new use contest section, which is really great if you want to challenge your creativity and post the results, no matter how "seasoned" you are: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/new-user-contests-and-events

If you're ambitious, you can always use Deviantart, or one of the other "fancy pants" sites.

Or, if you want to go "real life", get one of those portable jpeg photo frames, put some images in the memory card. You could then place it in a common area (if it doesn't get napped there). Or ask some unsuspecting shop keeper you know if they'd add your "little art exhibition" to their shop window.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited March 2023

Ron Knights said:

In my younger days I disccovered Poser and DAZ Studio & DAZ3D. In the early days I gleefully splattered my art and words all over. It took me a long time to get past my weakness and mistakes. Now, after 20+ years. I am quieter and wiser.

just make slideshows for Youtube with audio library music

it's still better than all the ones with a single rightclick stolen image, a game screenshot etc with some sparkly particles I mostly see

we are getting AI art slideshows now which I even watch if it's nice art shown in some coherent order

I often watch the Donghua AMV compilations too

grab this, it has nice FX and music too

https://www.capcut.com/

you can sign in and remove the watermark for free also

the music though copyrighted is allowed by the creators for use on Youtube, you will get a content match often saying this

yes it's Chinese but so are most of the components of electronics we buy, our clothing etc

virtue signalling gets tiring after a while

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 635

WendyLuvsCatz said:

ColinFrench said:

Maybe they'll release DazGPT so we can chat with our characters! laugh

probably where that chatbot product is heading  

https://www.daz3d.com/d-talks--realtime-talking-chatbot-for-daz-characters

Well how about that, I didn't know that product even existed. Must have missed it on release. Thanks for the link.

WendyLuvsCats, around 2007 I emerged from some difficult times, and arrived on the YouTube scene. I attracted the attention of some YouTube celebrities. Soon I had hundreds of YouTube videos. I was featured in an artice by one of the online "publications." I was called the King of YouTube (or something like that.) They said I just kept on shooting out videos, In awhile I was doing 3 live shows a week. In their earliest days, Telestream gave me a free copy of Wirecast. I started with vlogs, and then went on to interview other YouTube contributors live on my show.

Things went on for 3-4 years, then the Trolls drove me out. That was maybe a decade ago?! I'm slowly convincing myself to start making videos again. I just need to find my equipment again. Everything has been chaotic since I moved to a new apartment a year ago.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

Ron Knights said:

WendyLuvsCats, around 2007 I emerged from some difficult times, and arrived on the YouTube scene. I attracted the attention of some YouTube celebrities. Soon I had hundreds of YouTube videos. I was featured in an artice by one of the online "publications." I was called the King of YouTube (or something like that.) They said I just kept on shooting out videos, In awhile I was doing 3 live shows a week. In their earliest days, Telestream gave me a free copy of Wirecast. I started with vlogs, and then went on to interview other YouTube contributors live on my show.

Things went on for 3-4 years, then the Trolls drove me out. That was maybe a decade ago?! I'm slowly convincing myself to start making videos again. I just need to find my equipment again. Everything has been chaotic since I moved to a new apartment a year ago.

well I missed you because I got my first internet computer in 2009 

(I did have an Atari one I played games on with floppy discs and cartriges before that)

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,436

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Ron Knights said:

well I missed you because I got my first internet computer in 2009 

(I did have an Atari one I played games on with floppy discs and cartriges before that)

you mean like an Atari 800? 

Ivy said:

Oh My!? decisions decisions?, $2000 for a new graphic card that only good for about a year before its obsolete and you need a a new and improved one., or $1500 for a new DJI drone that flies for years to come?

Don't y'all think computer hardware cost is ridiculous?

I think its time to slow down buying 3d content when you have so much stuff that any thing new is released it's very similar to what you laready have purchased in the past only been upgraded or refreshed so that you have to upgrade your (pick-one)computer/gpu/monitor/hard drive. every time there is a new version of daz laugh 

I'll take the new drone for $1500  http://www.ivysdomain.com/Gallery/Drones/Drones.html

One year? Really? I don't recall ever getting less than 3 years out of a piece of computer hardware. Usually, stuff lingers long past its use-by date, still working just fine. No, I don't think computer hardware cost is especially ridiculous now. Graphics cards cost too much for a while because of the crypto-miners. Even so, computers were more expensive years ago. Imagine $6000 for a 286 box (car money back in the day!) or $5k for a P90 box, or the ridiculous cost of awful RIMM RAM chips in the early 2000s. And count inflation over time. In today's dollars, those prices might be expressed as double or so. I think you want to buy a drone. You should buy your drone and enjoy it.wink

FSMCDesigns said:

While I can appreciate the comments here and I am in similar situations with limited purchases as of late, to answer the OPs question, it's never enough. DAZ is a business afterall and it's main goal is to make money off of 3D content (unless they have a side gig and are just doing this for the fun of it or a hobby which I highly doubt) I wonder how many here would be upset if DAZ just vanished like my fav coffee shop that went out of business due to poor sales. Imagine being left with DS version 4.21 with no chance of ever getting an upgrade or it not working due to newer windows or drivers and no support or being stuck with undeveloped G9 and no new content for any figure, or no forum or gallery for those that use it. So spend what you can, or better yet, try to others involved in this 3D spending madness, LOL

I think N-Rarts had a point. Forumite spending is not determining Daz's fate. I also think you're conflating what's good for Daz as a company with what's actually good for us as customers. The coffee shop analogy might be prescient. You might miss the old coffee shop; but you're probably going to a different coffee shop, and it's all fine. Will it be different if Daz closed? Well, I doubt Daz is closing any time soon.

I'm mostly using DS4.15, so 4.21 is not a thing. I want to see what gets fixed before DS5 arrives. I suppose I'll grab the final 4.x build as DS5 seems likely to break backward compatibility with a lot of scripts and tools. It will be a different ball of wax after that. As for G9, I haven't downloaded the G9 freebies - Still no reason to do that. Plenty of stuff fun at my fingertips!

Eventually, it will all stop working. Digital is disposable. Nature of the beast! Can't begin to express how much digital work I've lost to the sands of time. Even if Daz disappeared tomorrow, I would still have plenty of stuff - And I doubt I'm alone there. And I suspect I could still sort of use that one way or another until the end. Or not. We'll see!