When enough is enough?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited March 2023

daveso said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Ron Knights said:

WendyLuvsCats, around 2007 I emerged from some difficult times, and arrived on the YouTube scene. I attracted the attention of some YouTube celebrities. Soon I had hundreds of YouTube videos. I was featured in an artice by one of the online "publications." I was called the King of YouTube (or something like that.) They said I just kept on shooting out videos, In awhile I was doing 3 live shows a week. In their earliest days, Telestream gave me a free copy of Wirecast. I started with vlogs, and then went on to interview other YouTube contributors live on my show.

Things went on for 3-4 years, then the Trolls drove me out. That was maybe a decade ago?! I'm slowly convincing myself to start making videos again. I just need to find my equipment again. Everything has been chaotic since I moved to a new apartment a year ago.

well I missed you because I got my first internet computer in 2009 

(I did have an Atari one I played games on with floppy discs and cartriges before that)

you mean like an Atari 800? 

I have forgotten the model but it was an ST something, I think this one or one after https://musictech.com/reviews/vintage-rewind-atari-st-computer/

it was colour and I even rendered fractal terrains with a freeware program I got

like a primitive Bryce

I bought magazines with programs on floppy discs

I made videos which I recorded with my Beta video recorder (my cathode ray TV was my monitor)

and it had a midi plug I used it as a sequencer, I also bought a small midi piano keyboard to use with it

(This was actually the reason I bought it)
    I had a Michael Jackson Sleepwalker game and another popular arcade game I forget the name of, I played endlessly

( you were a wizard, elf or valkarie and killed lots of grunts in maze like dungeons, collected keys and escaped through a trapdoor, the characters were always saying they needed food, the arcade version 4 players could play, I later got it for my Sega megadrive too and had 4 controllers)

I also used the painting program that had animated textures

I had at least 10 years if not more between last using it and getting another computer

a Win98 in 2007 given to me I also got freeware on magazines for but at least DVDs

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,436

WendyLuvsCatz said:

daveso said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Ron Knights said:

WendyLuvsCats, around 2007 I emerged from some difficult times, and arrived on the YouTube scene. I attracted the attention of some YouTube celebrities. Soon I had hundreds of YouTube videos. I was featured in an artice by one of the online "publications." I was called the King of YouTube (or something like that.) They said I just kept on shooting out videos, In awhile I was doing 3 live shows a week. In their earliest days, Telestream gave me a free copy of Wirecast. I started with vlogs, and then went on to interview other YouTube contributors live on my show.

Things went on for 3-4 years, then the Trolls drove me out. That was maybe a decade ago?! I'm slowly convincing myself to start making videos again. I just need to find my equipment again. Everything has been chaotic since I moved to a new apartment a year ago.

well I missed you because I got my first internet computer in 2009 

(I did have an Atari one I played games on with floppy discs and cartriges before that)

you mean like an Atari 800? 

I have forgotten the model but it was an ST something, I think this one or one after https://musictech.com/reviews/vintage-rewind-atari-st-computer/

it was colour and I even rendered fractal terrains with a freeware program I got

like a primitive Bryce

I bought magazines with programs on floppy discs

I made videos which I recorded with my Beta video recorder (my cathode ray TV was my monitor)

and it had a midi plug I used it as a sequencer, I also bought a small midi piano keyboard to use with it

(This was actually the reason I bought it)
    I had a Michael Jackson Sleepwalker game and another popular arcade game I forget the name of, I played endlessly

( you were a wizard, elf or valkarie and killed lots of grunts in maze like dungeons, collected keys and escaped through a trapdoor, the characters were always saying they needed food, the arcade version 4 players could play, I later got it for my Sega megadrive too and had 4 controllers)

I also used the painting program that had animated textures

I had at least 10 years if not more between last using it and getting another computer

a Win98 in 2007 given to me I also got freeware on magazines for but at least DVDs

YES..nice. We're OT a bit, but they were great computers. I never stepped up to that, went a different direction, but for what they were you could do a lot. I used Vista Pro for a long time before Bryce. Its too bad DAZ let Bryce rot on the vine. I moved to Vue, but they got wonky with their pricing and wouldn't allow upgrades on lower versions, even one back,  so I dropped that too. 

edited March 2023

don't think the topic is that set in stone cheeky

was trying to work out when I last used that computer and am pretty sure it was before I bought my own house at 33

as I never had it there

so pre 1995

so wow 13 years before I had a computer again

WendyLuvsCatz said:

don't think the topic is that set in stone cheeky

was trying to work out when I last used that computer and am pretty sure it was before I bought my own house at 33

as I never had it there

so pre 1995

so wow 13 years before I had a computer again

laughthat's awhile. M first computer was an Atari 800. I bought a copy of Deluxe Paint. Very cool program. Then I think I bought a Tandy 1000, followed by a very expensive Gateway. Huge tower system. I think it was a 286 or something. Mostly did gaming for quite awhile. 8 bit grpahics... just like Minecraft and all those other pixel games that are out now. A lot of text adventure games.  It was Poser that got me into this place. Bryce right along with it. And at the time,  Raydream ... which eventually became Carrara. It was all so much fun back then. Infini-D, Metacreations, Kai Krause, and all. Dan Farr, Chris Creek. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

N-RArts said:

To be honest, I think enough now HAS to be enough - But that's down to income, and personal circumstances. Which means there's no money on the horizon for a new PC either.

Maybe that will change for you. I've been adding new Windows/osX/FreeBSD/Linux computers to further split out use cases and my income is quite tiny. Splitting those compunting devices out keeps things interesting for myself personally as well. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Tomhip said:

Eventualy you realize that DAZ releases new content daily and you only have 2 kidneys... :D

Or you realize other people have at least two kidneys... and everyone has to sleep at some point...

• inception8inception8 Posts: 280

Faeryl Womyn said:

LOL Inception, too bad it's illegal according to Daz rules.

Wow man. You mean you can't buy something for someone similar to gifting. Oh well. Surely, instead, you could buy a gift card thru Daz to give to someone for the same purpose.

I was actually joking anyway because it was just funny to say in line with the topic.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,501

FSMCDesigns said:

While I can appreciate the comments here and I am in similar situations with limited purchases as of late, to answer the OPs question, it's never enough. DAZ is a business afterall and it's main goal is to make money off of 3D content (unless they have a side gig and are just doing this for the fun of it or a hobby which I highly doubt) I wonder how many here would be upset if DAZ just vanished like my fav coffee shop that went out of business due to poor sales. Imagine being left with DS version 4.21 with no chance of ever getting an upgrade or it not working due to newer windows or drivers and no support or being stuck with undeveloped G9 and no new content for any figure, or no forum or gallery for those that use it. So spend what you can, or better yet, try to others involved in this 3D spending madness, LOL

That would only be an issue if the older software stopped working. It's not like it's getting any better. Just slower. But maybe that's just how it seems to me. I still use Macromedia Fireworks because it does some things Photoshop doesn't do. It doesn't matter how old it is if it works. And I really think if DAZ disappeared completely, people would find very creative ways to get Poser to do what they want. There would definitely be forums and galleries. Just whichever ones became the main ones, would not be controlled by DAZ. And that would be amazing.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited March 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Or slow down and be more selective about what, if anything, you buy. It would be nice to reach that point.

...I've been doing that for years.  

G8.1 and 9 has only reinforced that.

Same for this year's MM sale which often requires buying 2 ore more new themed release items instead of just one. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569

Sven Dullah said:

Drogo Nazhur said:

Unless you are independely wealthy, you can't buy every package that comes out. At what point do you decided that you have enough characters, clothing, footwear, hair styles, etc.

Years ago!  

...yes 

Gauntlet!

the name of the game I played on my Atari and later Sega eluded me for 24 hours!!!

I am going senile

DAZ content hoarding the least of my worries cheeky

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,150

I didn't know Gauntlet was on Atari; I only know it from arcades and NES.

edited March 2023

Gordig said:

well this was before the Sega Genesis I believe it was called over there existed 

I was still playing it in the arcade at the bowling club

was only B&W on my TV with the computer sadly  needed a monitor for colour

was a computer NOT an Atari console! 

it was on floppy discs you had to change each level too FFS blush

• backgroundbackground Posts: 359
    edited March 2023

I had an Atari ST back in the day,. It was quite a powerful home computer for it's time, comparable to the Apple Mac. The ST could run a version of The Mac desktop. It was very popular with Midi users, as Wendy notes, because it had Midi-In and Midi-Out built in so it could record and playback Midi files to keyboards and synths, and store the files on disk ( 3.5 inch floppy unless you went for the very expensive Hard disk option. )

The disk file format was compatible with the IBM PC which was useful. It's main competitor was the Commadore Amiga, which had better built in sound but a completely bespoke disk format.

btw my first computer was a Nascom 1 which was 8-bit and supplied as a kit which had to be soldered together. Data storage on that was a 'hit and miss' link to an audio cassette player.

The thing that amazes me is that you could get a functional word processor, or spreadsheet, or complex game in just 32 Kilobytes of 8 bit  memory. These days just the icon for a program  probably takes more memory than that.

Post edited by background on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,924

Dammit, this site is worthless if you're trying to save money, bought 2 products this month totalling $28 and while it didn't set me back too much, this store kills your wallet with one thousand little cuts as I really had to hold myself back from spending another $30!

Stay in the forums and keep away from the store, as that's where your wallet is the most safe! :P

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321

First game I played on the commodore64 was Loderunner. It had a 5 1/4 floppy peripheral.. still have it sitting on a shelf.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,548

takezo_3001 said:

Dammit, this site is worthless if you're trying to save money, bought 2 products this month totalling $28 and while it didn't set me back too much, this store kills your wallet with one thousand little cuts as I really had to hold myself back from spending another $30!

Stay in the forums and keep away from the store, as that's where your wallet is the most safe! :P

Why are you doing that? Are you using the stuff you buy? Do you know what's in your library? Perhaps you need an intervention. cheeky

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,032

Torquinox said:

Drogo Nazhur said:

Budget is shortage is not the issue but space shortage is. I have my hard drive filled with most DAZ stuff, an external drive completely filled with DAZ stuff and now I'm filling up a second external drive. I have no more USB ports to hook up a third drive to.If I don't put a brake on things, my next step is going to be going to larger external drives.

I read that. So, the more painful question: In gigabytes and terabytes, how much material are we talking about?  Maybe a new, bigger drive would hold it all?

For comparison, I have a 4Tb drive that I use for data storage. I have a directory that contains zipped and unzipped folders of material from Daz and other sites. That's about 443Gb. And I have my DS library that contains all my ready-to-use Daz materials. That is another 420Gb. And I have a download cache of material I've gathered and haven't really ssorted yet. That's another 18Gb - So almost 900Gb all told. Seems like a lot, but more than half of it is backups, duplicates - Stuff I haven't even looked at yet. It's too easy to be a digital packrat.

I have a 1-tb solid state hard drive in my laptop. And two 4-tb external drives. My problem is that I create a lot of unique looking charcters by blending heads and bodies from several other characters giving my characters a unique look that my subscibers identify as uniquely my own. The characters and saved scenes account for about half my space problem.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,924
    edited March 2023

Torquinox said:

takezo_3001 said:

Why are you doing that? Are you using the stuff you buy? Do you know what's in your library? Perhaps you need an intervention. cheeky

Most of what I buy are tools and utilities, so I use them religiously, but yeah, I still find myself forgetting whether it was a freebie or an actual product that I bought!

Thankfully, I'm on a fixed income, so pre-purchases sometimes give me pause before blowing what little money I do have! :P

Drogo Nazhur said:

I have a 1-tb solid state hard drive in my laptop. And two 4-tb external drives. My problem is that I create a lot of unique looking charcters by blending heads and bodies from several other characters giving my characters a unique look that my subscibers identify as uniquely my own. The characters and saved scenes account for about half my space problem.

Lol, I can fit your entire collection on ONE of my externals... So yeah, I have at least 91.9 TB, with only 26.426 free space left!

So yes, my name is Takezo3001 and I am a data hoarder...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,032

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Practically speaking: Enough might be enough when you spend more time shopping for and testing new stuff than you do actually doing creative work; when acquiring stuff not only becomes its own end but also supercedes the original practical, stated purpose of the exercise. I speak at least for myself in saying that I flirt dangerously with that edge.

I think I am also at this point.

McGyver said:

Tomhip said:

Eventualy you realize that DAZ releases new content daily and you only have 2 kidneys... :D

Or you realize other people have at least two kidneys... and everyone has to sleep at some point...ca

Plasma can be donated with much more frequency although it's been a long time so I don't know what it sells for nowadays. I know back then if my weight dropped below 160 lbs I'd only be given $13 instead of $15 so I'd weigh myself before going, drink plenty of water, and wear my heavy coat as the walk to the plasma center could take a bit of weight off me.  I sometimes put rocks in my pockets. And sometimes I just had to accept I was only getting $13 for that particular donation. They never did ask me to take off my jacket! surprise laugh

edited March 2023

Drogo Nazhur said:

I understand! A lot of my characters are dial-spun as well, and I've been developing custome textures too. That will eat up the drive space! So far, it hasn't been too bad, but it will only get worse over time. surprise

Post edited by Torquinox on

takezo_3001 said:

Lol, I can fit your entire collection on ONE of my externals... So yeah, I have at least 91.9 TB, with only 26.426 free space left!

So yes, my name is Takezo3001 and I am a data hoarder...

OK you win that! surprise

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,150

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Gordig said:

well this was before the Sega Genesis I believe it was called over there existed 

The NES also predated the Genesis/Mega Drive.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733
    edited March 2023

You got my memory working again! It was about  1986-87 when I bought an Atari 520ST. I had a "windfall" of a little less than $1,000. I chose the 520ST, rather than the 1040ST because I wanted enough money to buy a Hayes 300-Baud (wow!) external modem, and a printer. These were the days before the Internet, when I frequented local Bulletin Boards (BBSes.) We connected via telephone lines (dial-up modems). Many generous System Operators (SYSOPs) provided a host computer for us to connect and socialize. I was in the Minneapolis Minnesota area at the time. A popular hosting software was called Citadel.

Yeah, so I'm old. My first computer was a joyfully useless Commodore VIC20. I went to a Commodore 64 and Commodore 128 and then onto the Atari 520ST. I didn't really have a useful computer until I built my first PC. That was before Windows!

Post edited by Ron Knights on
  • sterlenejcsterlenejc Posts: 178

you don't have to buy every asset, as there are many that look quite similar... Also, no need to buy them immediately when they come out. For example, now genesis 2 and 3 items are quite cheap. There are also other websites that offer (often) higher quality content for way less than here. daz's store used to be so good, but now it's only beautiful white women and sexy clothes... it's too comercialised and that is dangerous for a business. they should focus on other issues. but each to its own...

edited March 2023

My character, I don't have any to hear the teachers say, laugh, is straight out of the DAZ 3D/PA box. I just use it as a sort of avatar sometimes. I've not developed any characters at all. I did try some FaceGen Artist Pro morphs to test the product a few years back as I was interested in integrating that product's capabilities into games for players to customize the protagonists and antagonists in games to themselves & their friends but felt that the results were not instantly recognizable once exported into DAZ so I lost interest in using that. I will check again when the product is released for an update to Genesis 9. With the higher number of polygons in Genesis 9 I think the DAZ exported results will be more likely to be instantly recognizable. I'd have to save a lot of money to license that code and though it's a lot, it's not an insurmountable amount I'd need to save.

I've not tried to develop any unique characters with morph dials really since 2016 - 2017. A few of the results there are in my earlier DAZ Gallery. They are similar to Pedro Furtado's Cartoonized products and the DAZ 3D Girl 7/Guy 7/Girl 8 products but were made only using the DAZ 3D Head & Body morph products for Genesis 3. I think they are good and was happy to find that was possible when I did that using those DAZ 3D morphs.  Also, I used some morph freebies from a generous 3D artist at ShareCG to make toon morphs of TV show characters a long while back.

Nowadays, I strictly just use what DAZ & the PA do. I don't have any subscribers and don't offer anything to subscribe to. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for subscribers without a regular release schedule of high quality output. And I don't produce such. Until I get serious developing again, if I ever get motivated to, that is, I personally don't have sufficient incentive to morph dial to create a bunch of unique DAZ characters. I am content to slowly plod along in the meantime with my Blender skills tutorials and keeping on the back burner some ideals for the DAZ content I've bought because I will need it. The Blender tutorials are slow going and difficult but I've found I do learn them. If I get to the point that I am happy with my Blender output, then I will have the needed motivation to make new models and modify DAZ 3D purchased models for use in developing games. Most DAZ models I've bought are just the way I want them out of the box though because no matter how good and fast I get a modeling and modifying existing models, practically speaking, it wouldn't be fast enough and still have sufficient time to develop modifications to game code libraries I've bought but that would need modified into something I find more interesting.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

sterlenejc said:

you don't have to buy every asset, as there are many that look quite similar... Also, no need to buy them immediately when they come out. For example, now genesis 2 and 3 items are quite cheap. There are also other websites that offer (often) higher quality content for way less than here. daz's store used to be so good, but now it's only beautiful white women and sexy clothes... it's too comercialised and that is dangerous for a business. they should focus on other issues. but each to its own...

there was the phrase "what the market will bear".  How high can DAZ prices go before customers stop buying? I now I've capped my spend to 70% discount other then something that is really good, or needed, but its rare I buy anything at full price, even DAZ+ items are now getting put in the wait category. as they go up in price. I used to buy them just becasie it was such a bargain, but they're not any longer. Yes, less expensive than the main products, but not just an auto buy anymore. 

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited March 2023

Drogo Nazhur said:

Unless you are independely wealthy, you can't buy every package that comes out. At what point do you decided that you have enough characters, clothing, footwear, hair styles, etc.

When the inspiration is gone because the brain is too tired to be creative. 

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,172

When AI trivializes all your efforts.