Is this the new standard?

Comments

• Strikes me as counterintuitive to include multiple fingernail colors with the character itself but to sell the face makeup as a separate product, especially as it doesn't look like stuff that would be useful as an independent LIE.   I wouldn't need 8K textures, so it makes sense for those to be sold separately so as to limit file bloat for those of us with no use for them.

The price is steep but appears primarily to encourage sale of the bundle.  If you're going to get a lot of use out of the character, hair, and outfit, it could be a reasonable value for the bundle.  But if it's just a couple of renders, it's hard for me to imagine spending that kind of money for a character and hairstyle with a high fungibility factor.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Havos said:

I think the main reason the add on skin is a separate purchase is that this is an 8K skin. In addition, unlike V9, this is a full set of 8K skin textures, not just an 8K normal map to add macro details. 

Whether you want that, or have the PC power to handle an 8K skin is another matter, but I think this is the first full 8K skin in the store, but I could be wrong and one has already been released.

OK, I can see having that seperate since not everyone is interested in 8K texture maps, but seperating the makeups and charging almost as much as the character is to much.  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815

I honestly don't care if products are split up

only thing that does pi$$ me right off is if hierarchical poses etc are used and don't work with said split products 

I don't know about HM TBH but a few other PAs released stuff I couldn't apply the textures, poses etc to as I didn't own the set

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

I took a look at the new HM set and immediately thought it was vastly overpriced, even with the extra 10% off I'm being offered as an owner of other HM product. But, on the other hand, the way DAZ markets things, the odds are good that most if not all of the set will be showing up at 70% off or as $3.99 grab bag specials at some point in the very near future.  And that, possibly, could be another reason for the vendor trying to expand the package.  The thing is that we, in this forum, have very little idea of how much product DAZ is actually selling these days, but we have had word from a number of PAs that many products sell far fewer units than we might think, for all that DAZ is considered to be a premiere platform in this specific market.    

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Cybersox said:

I took a look at the new HM set and immediately thought it was vastly overpriced, even with the extra 10% off I'm being offered as an owner of other HM product. But, on the other hand, the way DAZ markets things, the odds are good that most if not all of the set will be showing up at 70% off or as $3.99 grab bag specials at some point in the very near future.  And that, possibly, could be another reason for the vendor trying to expand the package.  The thing is that we, in this forum, have very little idea of how much product DAZ is actually selling these days, but we have had word from a number of PAs that many products sell far fewer units than we might think, for all that DAZ is considered to be a premiere platform in this specific market.    

We do not know how many are sold in total, but we do know which ones are preferred over others, and that is by looking at the What's Hot. Right now this bundle is number 1, so clearly some people think this is worth the price. I agree with you that 100 dollar base price for a character, outfit and hair seems an awful lot, but it appears there are a lot of people that disagrees with us.

• HM products are very high quality and there isn't a lot of G9 content yet.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,469

Havos said:

We do not know how many are sold in total, but we do know which ones are preferred over others, and that is by looking at the What's Hot. Right now this bundle is number 1, so clearly some people think this is worth the price. I agree with you that 100 dollar base price for a character, outfit and hair seems an awful lot, but it appears there are a lot of people that disagrees with us.

Or they are buying because of the extra benefits, I can get it down to $25 and then collect $25 worth of free DO items for it.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

PerttiA said:

Havos said:

Or they are buying because of the extra benefits, I can get it down to $25 and then collect $25 worth of free DO items for it.

It could be. However don't forget that is 25 dollars of undiscounted DOs. Wait a few weeks (or just a few days), and those same items (they are all a few years old) will be so cheap that the 25 dollars of "free" items could be bought for 4-5.

Havos said:

PerttiA said:

Havos said:

It could be. However don't forget that is 25 dollars of undiscounted DOs. Wait a few weeks (or just a few days), and those same items (they are all a few years old) will be so cheap that the 25 dollars of "free" items could be bought for 4-5.

Yeah, but free is still free and the bundle counts as one Newly Mad, which triggers also other offers. If necessary, combined with one dirt cheap ($0.83) Mad Artists item. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited March 2023

Torquinox said:

shadowhawk1 said:

Torquinox said:

For me, it is one more reason to live in the back catalog. Still plenty of stuff G8 and below that catches my eye and goes easy on my wallet.

Just another reason to invest $0.00 into G9 

+1! It's true, I still haven't even downloaded the G9 essentials.

....me neither, still catching  up on G8. (though too much dForce when it comes to clothing)

PixelSploiting said:

This is the second 8k skin in the store.

Previous character release from this PA also was split like this.

Edit:

This piecemealing is pointless. Makeup should be sold with the character because G9 makeups are often made to the specific head shape and I have previous character sold with similar split - makeups only work on her anyway.

It's not that this is more expensive, it costs about as much as characters sold with makeup. But it's too much spam in the product library.

Edit: Making 8k skin textures into a separate addon is something I do understand. Not everyone will need them and it's an increased download size.

...as well as an increased drain on system resources. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited March 2023

Genesis 8.1 & 9 it is something i have not invested in anyway.  I opted out when the new 8.1characters & their products were broken up and sold in pieces like stolen car parts.laugh I have 10,000 characters already that i have only used a 10th of  them, In the old days make-up came with the characters and the top came with the bottom as a set. the only thing i can remember having to buy separately was hair & shoes.  My, my, how times have changed. But so has my spending.

I do like the new environment sets with the volumetric atmosphere & clouds and use those a lot when i buy them for kit bashing..  But honestly I rather still like using genesis 2 & g8 and there is still plenty of those products i have not bought yet.  So I have nothing to complain about g9 or how the content for it is sold,

My advice is you can do like i have  & if you don't like the price of something then I don't buy it. wishlist it for another day. wink

Post edited by Ivy on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

the only standard I see here at DAZ are ever rising prices and super convoluted sale requirements, which are often not sales at all if you need to buy 20 items to offset the buy-in requirements. Maybe if you're a high roller, ar leasrt higher than a lot of us forever customers, which it appears that might be the case, then what is happening here doesn't even matter. 

• inception8inception8 Posts: 280

RawArt said:

Products made by individual PA's are not an indication of any standard.

PA's will often experiment with different ways of packaging products to see how well they do in the marketplace, and see what is appreciated by customers and what isnt.

Every product we make is a market study.

Exactly. Couldn't agree more because it's the truth.

I know how this experiment feels on many an occassion.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

I'm not buying anymore pretty white girls because I have all I need. They are mostly G8 but that's fine with me. ;)

• Never imagined I would someday say something like "gee, I miss the good old days of 2020," but here we are...

lou_harper said:

I'm not buying anymore pretty white girls because I have all I need. They are mostly G8 but that's fine with me. ;)

Excellent. You now have more room to fill out the rainbow of options. smiley

Blando Calrissian said:

Never imagined I would someday say something like "gee, I miss the good old days of 2020," but here we are...

Apparently I need some kind of history lesson and missed out completely on the context but yes here we are. We made it. smiley

2023 is still hopeful.

edited March 2023

Havos said:

Cybersox said:

You're ratio for What's Hot as Number 1 > disagrees with us is quite accurate. smiley

Post edited by inception8 on
    edited March 2023

shadowhawk1 said:

Are we looking at the new standard for character and outfits with the HM Katya and HM Lightstaker outfit? A base character with only its skin, if you want makup that up until now has been an included feature is now an add on which almost triples the price to add the makeup and skin detail? Add it all up and you are paying $73 for just a character when it isn't on sale! The outfit is the same way at $104 if you are wanting the suit boots and accessories together and the only option to buy the suit all at once is to buy it in a bundle with the character. I would expect this with daz originals when they are offered within the daz original price range but when it makes a character's cost soar into a bundle price it feels a bit extreme. 

I wish I had a solution that seemed fair to everyone but times are tough. smiley

Post edited by inception8 on
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

Sadly, that is happening for G9 Characters and I think it is wrong.

But that way, the company makes more money, I guess.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Petra said:

Sadly, that is happening for G9 Characters and I think it is wrong.

But that way, the company makes more money, I guess.

Luckily, it is happening for G9 Characters, so it doesn't bother me at all (due to not being in G9 a bit).

And if they really make more money by doing it only time can tell. If it goes on like this for a prolonged time it might be so. If it stays a single attempt - like quite a few markering ideas DAZland had already - probably it didn't.

• This is yet another reason I will not incorporate G9 in my work/hobby. G8 is peak for me and I plan on using it as long as I can or until g10 comes along with more realistic/diverse models. Most models for sale look like slightly diff versions of others. Not worth the dough.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

The new standard seems to be you cannot even buy old stuff at a decent discount now, without having to buy into G9...I guess that's the very last straw for me, goodbye DAZ!

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,556

Sven Dullah said:

The new standard seems to be you cannot even buy old stuff at a decent discount now, without having to buy into G9...I guess that's the very last straw for me, goodbye DAZ!

That seems sort of dramatic. I'm sure there will be the occasional good sale - There always is! If not, then I'll just have to say you're right. But it's a little too soon to say that.

Torquinox said:

Sven Dullah said:

That seems sort of dramatic. I'm sure there will be the occasional good sale - There always is! If not, then I'll just have to say you're right. But it's a little too soon to say that.

Not really, we have all seen the writing on the wall that DAZ has abandoned a large portion of its customer base to chase the gaming and hyper realism crowds. If it weren't for me not deleting my daz+ renewal in time I would have copied all of the content I have purchased here and stepped into a life raft to get away from this sinking hulk. 

shadowhawk1 said:

Torquinox said:

Sven Dullah said:

Not really, we have all seen the writing on the wall that DAZ has abandoned a large portion of its customer base to chase the gaming and hyper realism crowds. If it weren't for me not deleting my daz+ renewal in time I would have copied all of the content I have purchased here and stepped into a life raft to get away from this sinking hulk. 

i have downloaded all mine a couple of times, but am doing so this weekend ... probably all weekend or longer.  

daveso said:

shadowhawk1 said:

Torquinox said:

Sven Dullah said:

i have downloaded all mine a couple of times, but am doing so this weekend ... probably all weekend or longer.  

I only have slightly better than dial-up internet so I will have to wait for a day when I can get a 12 hour 2mb download speed window to start my downloads

Sven Dullah said:

For the moment, it isn't that bad... One buys in with $5 - $7 G9 purchase and fills the rest of the cart with -83% to -93% non-G9 items until the whole cart is -83% or more - Requires the 40% off token discount though, hence the "for the moment".

PerttiA said:

Sven Dullah said:

For the moment, it isn't that bad... One buys in with $5 - $7 G9 purchase and fills the rest of the cart with -83% to -93% non-G9 items until the whole cart is -83% or more - Requires the 40% off token discount though, hence the "for the moment".

But it is having to make that purchase of a G9 item that is the issue. Why should someone have to buy something for a character base they have no intention of using to get a discount for items the want to use?  

shadowhawk1 said:

daveso said:

shadowhawk1 said:

Torquinox said:

Sven Dullah said:

I only have slightly better than dial-up internet so I will have to wait for a day when I can get a 12 hour 2mb download speed window to start my downloads

I'm at 600mb download so the stuff rips, but its dependent on what DAZ can do. DAZ bogs down to a crawl often.