[Solved]Can a Primitive Plane Be Subdivided?

Lucky13guyLucky13guy Posts: 44
edited March 2023 in Daz Studio Discussion

First, a little bit of back story so my question might make more sense. I'm trying to add carpet to a house that I'm building in Daz Studio. I started with a plane the size of the room I'm working on with 6-inch divisions. Found a good carpet texture, created a bump and normal map for it, then added them to the plane. I didn't like the lack of texture when rendering, so I made a displacement map and added that to the carpet. Problem is, because I have 6-inch divisions, the carpet comes out looking like waves on water, rather than actual carpet.

I figured my problem was the 6-inch divisions on my primitive plane, so I recreated it with 1/4-inch divisions. After that, it looked like real carpet, rather than just a render. Now I have another problem, though. The original plane was only about 2,200 polys (is that the right term?), but the new plane is now over 1.1 million polys, so it's taxing my system a lot more.

Now that I have the back story out of the way, my question is this: Can a primitive plane be subdivided like a Genesis figure can be?

My thought is, if it can be subdivided, I would drop the primitive plane to 1/2-inch divisions (which I've already tried, and my system is much happier now, but it still doesn't look right), then subdivide it to get better resolution when rendering. Looking at the Mesh Resolution portion of the Parameters tab, I can only choose Base Resolution, but there must be a way to add something to make it High Resolution so I can subdivide, right?

Thanks in advance!

Post edited by Lucky13guy on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,759
    edited March 2023

Yes, just convert to SubD. Menu: Edit - Object - Geometry - Convert to SubD ~ Then set proper SubD level as per your need.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

Yes, just convert to SubD. Menu: Edit - Object - Geometry - Convert to SubD ~ Then set proper SubD level as per your need.

I knew there had to be a way to do it! Thank you!