how does genesis 9 perform on memory?

iDiruiDiru Posts: 696

I sometimes have trouble rendering 2-3 genesis 8 figures with add ons on my 12gb rtx 3060 (that said it's probably because most of my chars have the torment horns and tail which don't show right unless they're at subdivision 6)

with all the detail now incorperated with genesis 9, wouldn't that make it harder to render more than one of them on the standard newer gpus ?

Comments

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,548

I just rendered seven of them turned up ... 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Sub-D 6 is a pretty extreme level of sub division. That means one of your figures is taking up as much geometry as 4096 Genesis 8 figures at base resolution. Naturally that is only considering the geometry, 4000 G8 figures with separate materials would take up a huge amount of resources for the textures.

16 millions polys is one sub-D 6 figure, which is a lot more than geometry than most people will include in the whole render. One option would be to render all your chars at a lower Sub-D, like 3 or 4, then up the division back to 6 to spot render just the horns/tails. That should allow you more than 2-3 chars in a single render.

Genesis 9 will be even worse if you want to render that at SubD 6.

• iDiruiDiru Posts: 696

Havos said:

Sub-D 6 is a pretty extreme level of sub division. That means one of your figures is taking up as much geometry as 4096 Genesis 8 figures at base resolution. Naturally that is only considering the geometry, 4000 G8 figures with separate materials would take up a huge amount of resources for the textures.

16 millions polys is one sub-D 6 figure, which is a lot more than geometry than most people will include in the whole render. One option would be to render all your chars at a lower Sub-D, like 3 or 4, then up the division back to 6 to spot render just the horns/tails. That should allow you more than 2-3 chars in a single render.

Genesis 9 will be even worse if you want to render that at SubD 6.

jesus thats a lot

hopefully when they put out more horns and tails that will work with genesis 9 it's not at subd level 6

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    edited March 2023

I have learned to pay attention to subD levels on products since some PAs seem to have super crazy high end computers and think all users do as well. If I have to use a subd level over 4 to get a product to look right, I pass on it.

As for the OPs question, G9 works well for me and have no issues with memory

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited March 2023

I don't see notable difference between G8 and G9 in terms of memory.

G9 starts with a denser base mesh resolution, so base resolution G9 is roughly comparable with subdivision level 1 on G8.

Subdivision level 4 is maximum of what I use and only for close shots.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on