Other sites for content?

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

Does anyone know of any other good sites that have content compatible with Daz Studios? I found Renderosity but sadly everything of interest to me seems to be for Poser. I thought I saw a thread here once with a list but I can't find it now. If anyone can point a finger, that would be awesome!

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 2015

I think we're allowed to discuss it but not allowed to post links?  Hopefully I'm not about to get in trouble with the mods.  Google will find you links to these I'm about to mention.

• Renderosity is the biggest one second to Daz.  They have some good G3F content, especially from OutOfTouch but also from some others (the first dark female skin for G3F was from there!).  They are less strict about their image guidelines and have some images that are NSFW for nudity, but no really "adult" content unless you're unusually conservative.
    • RuntimeDNA was until recently the home of Aeon Soul, who have done some DS/G2/G3 work that is very nice.  There are one or two others, not very many.
    • HiveWire has a tiny few DS-compatible products.
    • Renderotica is an adult marketplace.  Sometimes they have good add-ons for Daz's gen products.  Their site is very NSFW, and if you value your sanity don't look at their galleries.
    • PoserAddicts has mostly Poser stuff, but Jepe's gen products are worth getting and updating their shaders for Iray use (just parenting the M4 or free gens to G2M/G3M).  No one has yet done anything as realistic and flexible as his textures for males.

On the free end, be sure to have a look at the Daz Studio section of ShareCG.  There's a TON of free clothing and some of it is worth getting to autofit even if it's for G1.  Sometimes you will also find other good stuff here, if you're willing to sort.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • but sadly everything of interest to me seems to be for Poser.

In many cases, this can be a bit of a false alarm. Things are a bit more complicated with the changes to the last few versions of Poser, but the vast majority of "Poser-only" items you'll come across will work perfectly happily in DAZ|Studio. I've bought quite a lot from Renderosity, with very few problems that I can't fix myself. The only major exceptions are anything made for the characters from the content supplied with Poser (the characters don't work in D|S), anything labelled as Dynamic Hair or Dynamic Cloth, and some Poser materials will need to be adjusted in D|S because the two programs handle materials in different ways.

What kind of things were you looking for? Maybe someone here can offer advice.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Agree with SpoottedKitty. Apart from V4 and G1F and G2F chracters, >80 percent of what I use was originally designed with Poser in mind, with most of it not containing any D|S files at all. You just bring these libraries using the Content Library-Poser Formats option. You can often deal with the occasional incompatibilities if there's no D|S set of files. On Renderosity you can see what comes with a product by viewing the Readme, which is directly accessible from the product page,

• I've purchased a fair amount on Renderosity, but I agree that it is Poser-heavy. Every time I see a cool product, I click through and, sure enough, it says Poser Only, Not Tested in DAZ. 

Tobor, I didn't know that content that says Poser Only might work in DAZ. Can you expand on your comment of "just bring these libraries using the Content Library - Poser Formats option"?

Also, when you say "you can see what comes with a product by viewing the Readme", what specifically should one look for to help ensure it might work in DAZ?

• JohannaJohanna Posts: 119

How do you guys make the stuff show up in the software?

I only can see the stuff i bought on DAZ 3D page

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

There's no way to ensure a product will work with D|S unless it says so. If it doesn't say so, or someone else doesn't confirm it, it's a guess.

Content Library-Poser Formats refers to adding Poser runtimes to D|S. Look up Content Directory Manager in the D|S docs (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/finding_loading_and_organizing_content/tutorials/content_directory_manager/start) to get you started.

I started with, and still use, Poser, so it was never an issue about whether it would work in D|S. If you don't have Poser as a fall-back, and can't confirm a Poser-specific product you like will work in D|S, it's a gamble to purchase it. I don't know what Rendo's return policy is, but that's something to check. And of course, if they have one, don't abuse it, or they'll just assume you're buying and returning content to get freebies.

• JohannaJohanna Posts: 119

The bought content is all approved stuff by others, nothing experimental though and its def all in the right place

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631

The bought content is all approved stuff by others, nothing experimental though and its def all in the right place

Usually that's because  manual installation has gone wrong at some point.  Did you follow this procedure?

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Installing-Content-in-DAZ-Studio-508155677

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

How do you guys make the stuff show up in the software?

I only can see the stuff i bought on DAZ 3D page

It can be a bit of a pain to find the content bought on other sites.  Typically it will be located here:

• Content Library, Poser Formats, My DAZ 3D Library - then it is divided into several sub-folders.  Be aware that it's not always intuitive where things are placed, and the materials are in a different sub-folder.  I.e., Hair won't be in the Hair folder and the colors won't be in materials.
    • It will be in Figure and the textures located in Pose of all places.
    • If you still can't find it, you will have to look at their included Readme in the file list.   

I made a reference folder of my own and create a text file for each item for its location, the materials and any other notes I needed.  It's not always the same and I can't remember everything.

Good luck!

Tobor said:

I don't know what Rendo's return policy is, but that's something to check. And of course, if they have one, don't abuse it, or they'll just assume you're buying and returning content to get freebies.

Nothing is as good as DAZ 3D's return policy.  DAZ will allow you to return an item if it wasn't what you expected or realize you can't use it (again, this should not be abused).  Rendo will only allow a return if the product is defective and the vendor can't fix it (and a few other things).  The refund policy can be found by clicking on the About link at the bottom of their site. 

• Thanks, Tobor. I'll check out that link.

SickleYield - Your DA link helped me tremendously when I was first starting to learn Daz just 3-4 months ago. I'm also a big fan of your YouTube vids. I've learned a lot from you.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

If there are reviews for a Poser product say at Rendo.... read them.... often you will find someone confirming product works in DAZ Studio or works with tweaks.

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

You can find some nice freebies off of ShareCG. The other free resource I use is DeviantArt. 

• MarcosDKMarcosDK Posts: 120
    edited November 2017

It's a very old post but  3dkrender.com is a new place for this list

Mod edit :-  To remove the unsolicited Off Site Commercial link

Post edited by Chohole on

When you gain more knowledge of Daz Studio, you will eventually be able to convert Poser Only stuff to Daz Studio.  Most of it works fine. 

The main issue will be the Poser materials - You can convert these with the Uber Iray shader.

One thing to watch out for is any reference to Poser's Cloth Room.  These won't work in Daz Studio... however with the release of dForce, that may no longer be true.  You would have to experiment. 

Just something to keep in mind for the future.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited November 2017

The only things that I have found to not work in Daz from Rendo is some body art products for V4.  I don't think I have had a single thing not work from Rendo other that and I have 14 pages of stuff bought from them.....  Oh, and one campfire that was poser only - the campfire itself is fine but the *glow* lighting was poser specific.  So anything with emmissive lighting that is listed as poser only will most likely be fine on the prop side but the lighting itself won't work. If you have something specific you are looking at feel free to ask.

Edited to add, you can also contact the vendor, most of them are very quick to respond and quite friendly. 

Post edited by IceDragonArt on