Why isn't there any Bryce sales?

PippenPippen Posts: 265
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Daz always has big sales (50% and up) for Daz3D (V4, M4, clothing, hair, props...etc) but I never see any sales for Bryce stuff.

Anyone have a answer to this mystery?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

There was actually quite a few Bryce items in some of the sales categories, Particularly the Architecture one, , you just have to search them out.

Most Bryce stuff is however PA items and not Daz Originals, and the sales at this time of the year are usually all DOs.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

There's not really a big enough market here to justify a whole month long sale devoted just to Bryce. That being said though and as Chohole has pointed out Some Bryce stuff does come up in other sales, like in the recent PA sale there were several PA's who had Bryce stuff go on sale. Unfortunately with the PA sales the PA's have the option of not participating. Although I don't think that was so much of a factor as much as there doesn't seem to be many PA's producing Bryce Content these days and so it would be unlikely that Daz would feature a PA who isn't actively developing new content?

Now I may be wrong but if memory serves me correctly some Bryce stuff went on sale last year for the Christmas sale.? If so then maybe that will happen again this year?

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Also let us not forget that there have been some (admittedly rare) times in the past when the freebie of the week was actually a bryce item. Indian summer and the Space station construction kit are two that come to mind right off hand.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

It used to be possible in PARC to set sales on products. Which is what I did last Christmas. I'll try and find out if this is possible within the new framework. I don't doubt that Horo will concede, we do our best to support the community within our means. So it's really up to DAZ 3D. I'll email Paul today and ask. In the mean time, let us say they say yes, and we have a choice, what date would you like a sale on our products?

If you are curious about our products... There are some links in my signature to help you out.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

It used to be possible in PARC to set sales on products. Which is what I did last Christmas. I'll try and find out if this is possible within the new framework. I don't doubt that Horo will concede, we do our best to support the community within our means. So it's really up to DAZ 3D. I'll email Paul today and ask. In the mean time, let us say they say yes, and we have a choice, what date would you like a sale on our products?

If you are curious about our products... There are some links in my signature to help you out.

You are right in not doubting my concurrence. Good thinking :)

• PippenPippen Posts: 265
    edited December 1969

There's not really a big enough market here to justify a whole month long sale devoted just to Bryce. That being said though and as Chohole has pointed out Some Bryce stuff does come up in other sales, like in the recent PA sale there were several PA's who had Bryce stuff go on sale. Unfortunately with the PA sales the PA's have the option of not participating. Although I don't think that was so much of a factor as much as there doesn't seem to be many PA's producing Bryce Content these days and so it would be unlikely that Daz would feature a PA who isn't actively developing new content?

Now I may be wrong but if memory serves me correctly some Bryce stuff went on sale last year for the Christmas sale.? If so then maybe that will happen again this year?

Who said anything about a month long sale? A week would be be fine. If they would at least advertise the fact that Bryce products are on sale would be nice. A banner on the front page or something. I don't understand why they would ignore a section of their store. They are missing out on costumer sales. Sales on any Bryce products. Bryce creators (PA's) should get together and come up with their own Bryce promotion and see if Daz will allow it here. Just a thought.

edited December 1969

I don't know what PARC is. I appreciate your offering. Christmas or January works.

I bought Bryce 6.3 and the Bryce 7 Pro upgrade. It's time I learn how to use Bryce! Your tutorial looks interesting. The links in your sig aren't working. Neither is the link you reference on your tutorial. That tutorial you have will certainly help in my learning curve. I'll look for your sales.

edited December 1969

Pippen said:
    I don't know what PARC is. I appreciate your offering. Christmas or January works.

PARC was the Published Artist Resource Center. It has been replaced by PASS, the Published Artist Submission Service, which is different.
    edited December 1969

Pippen said:

Who said anything about a month long sale? A week would be be fine. If they would at least advertise the fact that Bryce products are on sale would be nice. A banner on the front page or something. I don't understand why they would ignore a section of their store. They are missing out on costumer sales. Sales on any Bryce products. Bryce creators (PA's) should get together and come up with their own Bryce promotion and see if Daz will allow it here. Just a thought.

Well to be fair nobody said anything about a month long sale until I mentioned it but I said it because in the 10+ years I've been a customer here all of Daz's sales were month long events. With maybe one or two exceptions along the way. So in other words one month seems to be the typical time frame Daz runs sales.

As far as the PA's running their own sales, I suppose they could, in a post above David Brinnen suggested that they at least used to have that ability but if Daz isn't on board with it that might force the sale to be less then 50% unless the PA's were willing to practically give things away since as I understand it, Daz's cut on product sales is about 50% of the non sale price. Which is why on non Daz original items the new release discounts are lower then they are on Daz original items.

edited December 1969

Let us not forget the nice freebies you two gave out last Christmas in the "24 Days of Christmas" event.

Also on the links I too am having issues but it's not a bad link issue, it appears to be an issue with the server the site is on.

Frozen_Pool1.png
    800 x 615 - 994K
    Yuletide_still_life1.png
    615 x 800 - 1009K
    edited December 1969

Aye Mark, the server the site is on got migrated today, it seems that it's broken. I will ask the owner if it is going to be fixed soon.

edited December 1969

Aye Mark, the server the site is on got migrated today, it seems that it's broken. I will ask the owner if it is going to be fixed soon.

Just to say the Bryce Tutorials site is back on it's feet. The migration completed. It worked. It stopped working. It got fixed again. Normality is restored. At an improbability level of 1 to 1.

edited November 2012

Just to say the Bryce Tutorials site is back on it's feet. The migration completed. It worked. It stopped working. It got fixed again. Normality is restored. At an improbability level of 1 to 1.

Good to hear as I think your site is becoming quite the resource for many people wanting to become more proficient with Bryce. Years ago I wanted to try to become more proficient with Bryce but was frustrated by the fact that it was more difficult to find Bryce tutorials since they were scattered all over the place. As a result I put it off and then eventually got distracted by other things and forgot about Bryce for a long time.

What's so nice about your site is that not only does it have yours and Horo's exceptional tutorials but you've gathered into one place many of the older tutorials that used to be scattered all about.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

Well strictly speaking, it is not my site, it is a friend of mines who I coaxed into hosting it on the basis that he could become an affiliate of the Bryce products hosted here at DAZ3D which is why in all my video's I show a route to the products through the site rather than a direct link. That way the site host gets a small percentage of any sales with in turns goes towards funding the serves space and updates to the site. The aim was to gather all the tutorials together in one place before they evaporated into the Aether. So that's the plan. A self sustaining Bryce Tutorial website.

edited December 1969

Well strictly speaking, it is not my site, it is a friend of mines who I coaxed into hosting it on the basis that he could become an affiliate of the Bryce products hosted here at DAZ3D which is why in all my video's I show a route to the products through the site rather than a direct link. That way the site host gets a small percentage of any sales with in turns goes towards funding the serves space and updates to the site. The aim was to gather all the tutorials together in one place before they evaporated into the Aether. So that's the plan. A self sustaining Bryce Tutorial website.

Well I did realize that in the strictest sense of the word it wasn't your site based on how you responded to it being down yesterday. For the purpose of discussion here though I think it fair to call it your's and Horo's site.

BTW I got a question about your underwater effects tutorial in the underwater city thread but I'm going to go post it there as that would be more appropriate.

edited December 1969

For the purpose of discussion here though I think it fair to call it your's and Horo's site.

Thank you Mark. David (or rather Chris) and I do strictly not compete. I set up a new container with Bryce relevant documents and PDF-ized documents from tutorials on these forums.
    edited December 1969

Pippen said:

I bought Bryce 6.3 and the Bryce 7 Pro upgrade. It's time I learn how to use Bryce! Your tutorial looks interesting. The links in your sig aren't working. Neither is the link you reference on your tutorial. That tutorial you have will certainly help in my learning curve. I'll look for your sales.

OK finally... it's taken a while, but you get your wish. Horo and I will do you a sale starting on the 25th. Other people may take advantage of it too if they are interested, in fact, I'd encourage them to do so. I'm letting you know now before you splurg all your pennies on mince pies and sherry.

edited December 1969

Thanks for letting us know. How long will your sale be? Also, is there as way to be notified/reminded about it?

With the new site....we don't get vendor updates any longer. Which sucks!!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Pippen: I don't remember where it is, but you can sign up to receive e-mails telling you what sales are taking place and about special offers.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Pippen: I don't remember where it is, but you can sign up to receive e-mails telling you what sales are taking place and about special offers.

I get Daz's newsletter. But you use to be able to subscribe to your favorite vendors and get updates e-mailed to you on their new releases and sales.

edited December 1969

The newsletter doesn't seem to work anymore since May. I have subscribed to myself to see when products get online. I haven't got any since May.

edited December 1969

Pippen said:
    Thanks for letting us know. How long will your sale be? Also, is there as way to be notified/reminded about it?

With the new site....we don't get vendor updates any longer. Which sucks!!

You are welcome. Er... till the end of the month I think. As observed, the automated system doesn't seem to function any longer. I'll endeavour to remind you. It is after all in our interest to remind you! ;)

edited December 1969
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

FYI, Bryce ( https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro ) is on sale for $2.99 for platinum club members right now (11/30/2019).  Lots of Bryce content is on sale as well.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited December 2019

I am a Bryce latecomer and have picked up some Bryce-related content during several sales over the last year or so.  Just have to keep an eye out for it.  On the store page, there is a filter for software.  Just check the box for Bryce.  EDIT - Store lists 188 items as Bryce-related when I check the Bryce box and uncheck the filter for what I already own.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Good Morning. I'm late to the party as usual, but I'm glad to see this topic being discussed. I use the filter to Bryce-related items but from my Wishlist to see if there are any Bryce sales; it often doesn't say when the sales start or end so by the next day (usually payday), the sales vanish. Regardless of what the PM wants, DAZ3D is losing sales by not advertising Bryce products. Using the excuse of being a small market is not a good enough argument to not find ways to increase sales, let alone not to upkeep broken links. That being said, it is nice to see that us users have awesome moderators investigating this issue.