Hexagon 2.5.2.109, General Release!

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited February 2018 in Hexagon Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Hexagon 2.5 General Release!

• Version: 2.5.2.109
  • Date: February 1, 2018

Highlights:

Below are highlights that pertain to the current Hexagon General Release. We have updates planned for Hexagon in Q1 2018 that include (but are not limited to) 64-bit support, but our current focus is on improving stability. Our plans for Hexagon in 2018 (and the future) are for it to be a key and growing component of our free software offering.

• Installation
    • The General Release can be installed and co-exist along side the Public Build
    • Separate application and content packages can now be downloaded/installed using Daz Install Manager (DIM)
  • Stability
    • Many changes have been made to the core code that are targeted specifically at improving stability
    • Identified and eliminated various crashes
    • Identified and eliminated various memory leaks
    • Performed significant amounts of static code analysis and code maintenance
  • Hexagon News
    • A new informational dialog has been added that displays the latest news about Hexagon development
    • The dialog contains an option that prevents the same news from being displayed more than once
    • Edit > Preference Editor > User Interface > Misc contains two options; one that controls whether or not Hexagon News is checked at all, and one that prevents the same news from being displayed more than once
  • Daz Studio Bridge
    • Edit > Preference Editor > Import/Export > Daz Studio Bridge contains an option for specifying the path of the Daz Studio installation to use when sending to Daz Studio; recent versions of Daz Studio contain a corresponding setting in Edit > Preferences... > Bridges
  • General User Interface
    • Updated URLs used in various menus/actions
    • Updated various branding images; icons, splash, about, etc
    • Updated various English language text entries
    • Added some missing French and Japanese translations
    • Added various actions to the Help menu
  • Windows Specific
    • Large Address Aware (LAA) by default; still a 32-bit executable
    • Fixed DWG/DXF Import
  • Mac Specific
    • Removed PowerPC support

Public Beta Threads:

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• RaytownmikeRaytownmike Posts: 58
    edited February 2018

Text tool doesn't work on my Mac. It does the same strange behavior as was noted on the beta thread. It isn't fix for Mac.

Post edited by Raytownmike on
  • Text tool doesn't work on my Mac. It does the same strange behavior as was noted on the beta thread. It isn't fix for Mac.

Did you report the issue with the beta version, to https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us as a Technical Support ticket?

• RaytownmikeRaytownmike Posts: 58
    edited February 2018

No because it must have been reported at Beta stage, I think??

Post edited by Raytownmike on
  • SF-DesignSF-Design Posts: 986
    edited February 2018

Very cool that this great app is still updated ! And now 64 Bit support laugh
    I really love to use Hex and the update is a great addition. Thank you guys! yes

Post edited by SF-Design on
  • No because it must have been reported at Beta stage, I think??

Unless someone posted that they had reproted it it's best to assume it wasn't reproted and to open a ticket.

• edited February 2018

What is the difference from the Beta?

How did they spend the time from november?

Mic

Post edited by michael-kristensen_e59faa8f72 on
  • What is the difference from the Beta?

Mic

Exactly the same, just promoted to General Release.

• Hi

just a little problem

I can not export to carrara?!?!?!?

thanks

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    Hathatool said:

Hi

just a little problem

I can not export to carrara?!?!?!?

thanks

Indeed!!  Carrara file export (both "Save As" and "Export" functions) are now broken in this new version of Hexagon.

Trying to open a Hexagon file saved as or exported as a Carrara format file (.car file) will produce an I/O error message in Carrara.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

There is a coding error in the DIM package - the 32-bit version is being installed to both the 32-bit and 64-bit DIM installation directories.

• de3an said:

Indeed!!  Carrara file export (both "Save As" and "Export" functions) are now broken in this new version of Hexagon.

Trying to open a Hexagon file saved as or exported as a Carrara format file (.car file) will produce an I/O error message in Carrara.

Yep. There is garbage at the end of the CAR file exported by Hexagon.
  • Where do I get a serial number to allow me to save projects? Thanks!

• The Carrara export was also broken in the beta.... just to poit it out.

Mic

It should be in your store account.

It should be in your store account.

yap found it there, tab serial numbers

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

I'm finding this version of Hexagon less stable then the public beta release. It crashes frequently so I went back to using the public beta release which is as stable as a finely tuned small block Chevy V8....

• kenmo said:

I'm finding this version of Hexagon less stable then the public beta release. It crashes frequently so I went back to using the public beta release which is as stable as a finely tuned small block Chevy V8....

That is odd as theya re the same code - the diffrences are just wher the files are, and where they look for their settings. If you are seeing markedly different behaviour it may be worth checking to see if your security software is handling the two differently, or if the application or support folders/files have different permissions.

• I was expecting improved stability, after so many time without updates and...  just opening and closing the program makes it crash!!!
    My personal opinion as 12+ years of C++ proffesional developer: people of DAZ Studio, please implement unit automated test to check you do not break existing features! That's the very basics of software development Q&A...

• NovaNova Posts: 211
    edited February 2018
    • Version: 2.5.2.109 Fehler bei Skalierung / Export *obj

Fehler bei der Skalierung, die Skalierung ( Faktor ) wird nicht übernommen bei Export von * obj

Wir arbeiten wieder mit der alten Version 2-5-1-079...... schade.

Post edited by Nova on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited February 2018
    • Version: 2.5.2.109 Fehler bei Skalierung / Export *obj

Fehler bei der Skalierung, die Skalierung ( Faktor ) wird nicht übernommen bei Export von * obj

Wir arbeiten wieder mit der alten Version 2-5-1-079...... schade.

Importing scaled OBJ into other apps? Or importing them back into Hexagon? Which unit are you using cm, m, none?

ADDED:

I see. I tried scaling in Hexagon 1.21 just now to see how it differs from 2.52. Scaling worked in 1.21.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • Same thing for me, by example exporting "mouse.hxn" content file in carrara format with both public or general Hexagon version, result a I/O error when importing in Carrara 8.5.1 pro, also opening and closing Hexagon (public and general) result a crash when closing the application by the menu and the cross button.

• hgc said:

I was expecting improved stability, after so many time without updates and...  just opening and closing the program makes it crash!!!
    My personal opinion as 12+ years of C++ proffesional developer: people of DAZ Studio, please implement unit automated test to check you do not break existing features! That's the very basics of software development Q&A...

People were reporting improved stability with the beta, and not (at least in public) reporting issues - that's why that version was promoted to a general release. If you are seeing crashes please report them to Daz, via a support ticket.

I would avoid making assumptions about what Daz does or doesn't do for testing in general - though i dos eem to recall references to unit testing in the DS change logs at least.

• NovaNova Posts: 211
    edited February 2018

Die Version 2-5-1-079 läuft bei uns auf 3 Rechner und ist Stabil, Hexagon Mag bestimmte Dinge nicht, wenn man sich mit der Software beschäftigt, lernt man dies zu verstehen und vermeidet abstürtze. Sie Mag alt sein, ist aber immer noch Aktuell. Wir empfehlen Hexagon weiter. Es macht uns viel Freunde mit dieser Software zu Arbeiten. Sie ist nur auf das Bauen ausgelegt, mehr brauchen wir nicht. Erst mit den Jahren kommt die Erfahrung, man sollte nicht zu schnell aufgeben.

Post edited by Nova on
  • A new Hex sort of - does this mean there is any distantly foggy hope for a Carrara revival? (Covers eyes and peeks through fingers....)

• Can't find (again) the new version of Hexagon 2.5.2.109. I've used a updated version of the DIM-tool, checked Hidden files, but there are no new files for install. Can I get some help, please?

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited February 2018

My Dim is set Hexagon 2.5 Win and filtered so all the Beta versions are selected so I will get told when the 64 bit becomes available laugh

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited February 2018
    RCTSpanky said:

Can't find (again) the new version of Hexagon 2.5.2.109. I've used a updated version of the DIM-tool, checked Hidden files, but there are no new files for install. Can I get some help, please?

It's called 2.5 if you've used a 2.5 version before in the past. DAZ3D is confusing customers is all. Thus, the help on this forum.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • What do you have checked in Download Filters? Are you sure you don't already ahve the update, sownloaded or installed?

• This new downloading of applications, used by Daz is unnecessarily confusing and difficult to use.

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2018

This is wonderful news, thank you Daz for updating and integrating Hexagon into the free package. Now we can truly say that Daz Studio is a 3D Modelling software---with Hexagon now in the picture. Smart. Good thinking Daz team for making Daz more marketable and attractive to the masses. Even though C4D is my main modeling program of choice, I will take another look at the Hexagon again since it is now being supported and updated.

Now all we need is a UI update to make Hexagon more seamless with DS... change the old blue and grey colors to Daz's City Limits colors (ot at least make it an option), and that would help continuity b/t the two programs.

-P

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on