WinterMoon Wants Attention.

WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
edited January 2020 in Art Studio

See, here's the thing with TigerAnne: She either jumps in with both legs, or she doesn't jump at all. I've been playing around with Daz for just over a month, unless you count some previous experience years and years ago, which never lead to any renders. My post-count is barely into the double digits. I've just barely figured out how lighting works. So yes, this is the perfect time to make a thread. Hopefully you'll start to see some improvement, eventually. yes Please don't poke and laugh too much at my n00b mistakes, because I'm such a terribly sensitive and delicate flower. crying

Linda and Ginny get to open the thread, since they've been seen around here before. I know the picture is not perfect. The light is too intense, and Linda's shirt is clipping into Ginny's arm, but aren't they cute, though? (Linda is a free character you can find on ShareCG, for Genesis 3. I can't remember the name of the creator. She comes with the skin both of them are wearing.)

They were so cute I had to make another sister for them. I always make truckloads of characters, in whatever medium I'm playing with.

Just for the record, here's the first render I cooked up. The Genesis women in reverse chronological order. x)

The kids spent the first half of the summer binge-watching The Walking Dead, which their parents weren't too impressed with. After being told to go out and enjoy the sunshine for once, they have started LARPing zombie apocalypse in the rubble around the derelict hotel. Josh has had a terrible growth-spurt lately, and is all skin and bones, so of course he makes the best zombie. Don't worry, the swords are from the local toy store. Jenny doesn't even need a weapon, because she's an Air-Bender.

This was one of those pictures that sort of just happen.

Don't pet wild animals. The cuter they are, the more rabies they've got. I'm gonna try this thing called moderation, and not make a 100-image first post. Okay, you can poke and laugh now.

Post edited by WinterMoon on

Comments

• Welcome to the art thread!  Love your sense of humor!

You will appreciate having a record of where you started.  I know I still look at my beginnings and try not to laugh too hard at myself.  Yours are much better than mine were!

• TigerAnne said:

See, here's the thing with TigerAnne: She either jumps in with both legs...

...glad to hear that - jumping in without both legs is a rather messy business ! wink

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

@IceDragonArt Thank you! <3 And to be fair to yourself and everyone else who started out years ago, Daz has made it a lot easier to get going with their starter content. First time around, I only had Victoria and Michael, and not much clue what to do with them.

@3dcheapskate My former coworkers told me a story about a guy that happened to. indecision 

And now, welcome one and all to TIGERANNE'S TRASH CAN! These are my worst renders! They're probably best with no context...

Poor Victoria, I barely had any clothes for her, let alone hair. Borrowed feathers do not fit best. Genesis 8 reminds me of a gorgon in that pose. If I had any picture editing skills, I would have given her a florally patterned snake tail.

I think Vickie feels left in the shadows. :(

Genesis 8, who I've nick-named Hailey for no particular reason, is the queen of awkward posing.

Genesis 1 kid Erica is really good at yoga for an 11-year-old. The girl on the left is Aubrey, you'll see more of her. 

She's quite the little camera-hog, and loves nothing so much as raiding her older sister's make-up case. 

Can you say "selfie stick?"

Uhhhhhh...

"Come back when the big-boy pants fit, m8."

"See that building behind me? Yeah. I did that."

Okay, this one's just deliberately silly.

I just love this one omg I had one simuliar this but threw it out with the trash giggles it was too big for the camera to fit it all in anyways lolz!!

edited November 2018

Okay! Now I'll post some stuff I'm a lot more happy with. It's still not perfect, but it's better. I'm gonna start with some background-less portraits of some of my characters. The Iray Converter suddenly made a lot of free skins from Renderosity look very pretty!

This is Helen, as her Grand-daughter imagines she would have looked as a teenager. (Hence the Disney-princess look.) In present times, Helen is an elderly woman. I don't have any pictures of her yet.

This was an accidental 3Delight render, that literally took about 5 seconds to complete. Her braid is inside her collar. frown

Helen's got several grandchildren. Erica is one of the youngest, at eleven. She's wearing the Teen Julie 5 skin, with some Iray meddling.

Different eyes, different shirt and different angle.

Similar portrait of Aubrey, looking very wintry and pale. I think this is the first picture I've taken of her that actually does her justice. Aubrey is 13, and has a "mature" face for her age. The dress she's wearing was an impulse buy, that I just tossed in the cart while I was browsing around for necessities. (Before this sale, I only had odds and ends for everyone to wear.) If I had known the creator was getting "culled," I would have looked at more of their stuff, because I love this dress! (Flora Lace by 3DLust. It's gone now.) She's wearing the same skin as Helen, with different settings.

In my developing story, Aubrey and Erica are "step-cousins." They're not actually cousins, but Aubrey's oldest brother is married to Erica's youngest aunt. The girls have gotten along awesomely since day one, because they're both imaginative dreamers. Erica isn't as innocent as she looks, Aubrey pretends she isn't. 

I had to have Lyoness' beautiful Emily, when she went on sale. I loaded in both the Genesis version, on the left, and the Vickie version. After looking at them side by side, I have decided I can't choose which one I prefer. Emily is now twins. laugh

• TigerAnne said:
    @IceDragonArt Thank you! <3 And to be fair to yourself and everyone else who started out years ago, Daz has made it a lot easier to get going with their starter content. First time around, I only had Victoria and Michael, and not much clue what to do with them.

I haven't actually been here all that long, just starting my third year this month.  But I do agree, lots of great content for people just starting out.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

The big boy pants gave the best smile of the day!  Your sense of humor is fun. Keep 'em coming - the good and even the less good. yes

I just love this one omg I had one simuliar this but threw it out with the trash giggles it was too big for the camera to fit it all in anyways lolz!!

Thank you! laugh Lesson learned: Auto-fit does not work on dynamic clothing.

barbult said:

The big boy pants gave the best smile of the day!  Your sense of humor is fun. Keep 'em coming - the good and even the less good. yes

Awww, thank you! It makes me happy when people say I've made them happy!

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Great series! Looks like you’re having a lot of fun! 

edited September 2018

@Paintbox Thank you! Yes, I'm having a blast with this. 

This picture is titled after what I thought when I saw how it came out: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHG!!!

• TigerAnne said:

See, here's the thing with TigerAnne: She either jumps in with both legs, or she doesn't jump at all. I've been playing around with Daz for just over a month, unless you count some previous experience years and years ago, which never lead to any renders. My post-count is barely into the double digits. I've just barely figured out how lighting works. So yes, this is the perfect time to make a thread. Hopefully you'll start to see some improvement, eventually. yes Please don't poke and laugh too much at my n00b mistakes, because I'm such a terribly sensitive and delicate flower. crying

Don't pet wild animals. The cuter they are, the more rabies they've got. I'm gonna try this thing called moderation, and not make a 100-image first post. Okay, you can poke and laugh now.

I think you're doing great. You should have seen some of my early renders. All of us start with knowing nothing and had to learn as we went. You'll get there. Now, I have to ask, what animal is that and where can I get it? I don't recognize it but it's cute.

edited September 2018

Thanks, @Knittingmommy! The little critter is a bush-baby by AdamThwaithes. It's okay to link to Rendo's freestuff, right? 

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=75058

I did some more of my "backless" portraits. This is the earlier mentioned Helen, at her current age. She uses 3d Celebrity's fantastic Franceska as her model. There's something about this character that just reminds me a lot about the women on my Mom's side of the family. (Actually, Victoria as-is resembles a young version of Mom.) Helen's not in her "final form" yet, as I want to add a few tweaks to make her my own character. On the other hand, I don't want to change her much at all.

This is Jessamin, who is at least partially my own work. I came across a limited time freebie character called "Toned Edna," which had an amazing material set. (She was on Renderosity for a day or two. You can see a not so flattering picture of her, wearing a pink shirt, in the bad renders post.) Since I'm not crazy about huge bodybuilders of any gender, I found the skin a lot more useful than the morph. I played around with some morph dials for Genesis 3, and this cutie came into being.

I've got to take more renders of her. Props for making pretty surroundings are next on my to-get list.

And here we have Maria, with a less unsettling pair of eyes, and some other tweaks. Maria lives the "perfect" soap-opera life, with all the drama and horror and tragedy that encompasses. That's probably why her eyes were so red earlier, because she has cried so much. sad

Here we have another set of Lyoness twins, this time Waverley, on Victoria (left) and Genesis. Everly and Avery are posh and spoiled, and a bit theatrical, but they're actually very nice once you get to know them.

• @TigerAnne My understanding is it's okay to link another store when a person has specifically asked. I asked. Thanks for the link. :)

Did you check out the results of last month's challenge yet? I really think you should if you haven't. ;)

edited September 2018

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments! I feel very welcome here, and it means a lot! Now, for some quarter-decent renders from an Iray forest.

I tried to set up a group picture, like the kind you take with friends on a fun day just hanging out.The finger-shadow on Julie's shirt amuses me, for some reason. x) They're all sun-tanned and summery, but Charlotte (my barely-edited Genesis character) is looking dorky, and Victoria isn't quite feeling the love here.

So in a ret-con of events, they went to the beach instead. While everyone else looks even happier, Victoria must have been force-fed another lime on the way there. Her expression is supposed to be a "soft smile."

I got Julie and Justin, so I could have more young characters for storytelling. And then I discovered that I have very few boys' hairs. Poor Justin.

More derpy smiling. Something tells me the light isn't hitting their faces at the right angle... Okay, then. So don't smile. 

That's... better? This is Catherina and Christa, BTW. They're characters by P3Design. 

You know... I actually think the default Genesis 3/8 face is really cute. The only thing that bothers me is that the eyes are a bit small. They're barely wearing any make-up here, though. I was just playing around with the light settings, and I wanted to see how it looked on "vanilla" faces. (Why do people think that if something tastes of vanilla, it hasn't been flavoured?)

This is an old one, meaning it's from like a month ago. I downloaded most of Wilmap's stuff, and played fashion show. This isn't a great picture, but I love what they're wearing. laugh

Here's Ginny and Linda again, also wearing Wilmap's stuff. Ginny is a bash-up character I made by putting Linda's skin (by Edelzwicker on ShareCG) on Vyktohria's Ginger, and dialing in a bit of Linda's morph

Erica, Aubrey and their friend Tora (left), dancing to an off-screen radio. They're not great at choreography, but they make up for it in enthusiasm.

Meanwhile, their responsible adult guardians are chilling among the weeds. I think a beach-gopher (they exist?) is trying to make off with the bag of chips. Note to self: Iray-compatible plants need to go on wishlist. (Done.)

• I think you have been busier than I have lol!

Love the Jessamin character, she does have beautiful skin.

Smiles are always.....interesting lol.  G8 smiles somewhat better.  Somewhat.

I love Wilmaps clothes, she had fantastic everyday clothing. 

@IceDragonArt Thank you, but I think "busy" in this context just means that I do a lot of quick renders, with little to no scene building. I've got characters and wearables, but I'm still sorely lacking in the props department, so I can't really make interesting surroundings yet. (Stalking my wishlist for deals all the time.)

• Check out the freebies section here in the forums and also ShareCG. 

A couple of different pictures from Julie and Andrea's horse ride, that I posted in the Depth of Field newbie challenge. Yeah, no... They're not dressed responsibly for riding, but this is a very gentle and calm horse, and no parents were nearby...

Charlotte adopted a dog, a half-grown pup someone had found sniffing around near a camping spot. She's trying to be good about going for long walks with it every day, because dogs need a lot of exercise. Especially when they seem to be part greyhound...

Someone mentioned in another thread that boys don't get as much attention as all the fabulous rendered ladies. That's probably true, especally for boys who are too young to have muscles yet. You gotta be the change you wanna see n the world, so this is my little contribution to that.

Dylan's band (name's yet to be settled upon) has gotten the cover photo for their debut album taken. They want to make it the "old skool" way, of actually going to a studio, playing instruments, and releasing their music on discs. Imagine being alive in the 90s... *sigh* Craig of course is hamming it up, as usual. Maybe they shouldn't have let him join. He's only 12, and certainly acts it... on a good day. However, no one else wanted to play the drums. Dylan doesn't want to conform to any trends, so he's borrowed his dad's jeans, and his little brother's t-shirt. He's going to play lead guitar. Brendon - Aubrey and Charlotte's brother - is feeling tall and awkward, as the oldest member of the gang. He's 17. Because he's the tallest, he got appointed as the bass player, because that's always the tallest member of the band. (Isn't it?) Justin will be the keyboard player, like Tyler Hanson, except... you know, not like Tyler Hanson. Bad example. Like... Tuomas in Nightwish! Edward (he hates his name, call him Jared instead) is going to be the lead singer. The others aren't so sure about his style of dress. It's from the wrong decade, and doesn't look retro as much as "behind the times." Jared doesn't care. #emo2018 

Now they just need to learn playing their instruments (and in a couple of cases, acquiring them), and they'll be ready to learn cover songs.

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Wow... so many renders in such a short time! Liking a lot of these but so many to try to comment on laugh

edited September 2018

@Noswen Thank you! You don't need to say something about every single one. No worries. :) Thank you for dropping by!

• TigerAnne said:

Charlotte adopted a dog, a half-grown pup someone had found sniffing around near a camping spot. She's trying to be good about going for long walks with it every day, because dogs need a lot of exercise. Especially when they seem to be part greyhound...

This one made me laugh.  Boy she is in for a surprise lol.  Nicely done set of renders!

edited September 2018

Hooray for double posts! Daz Forum Staff, why can't we delete our own posts?

IceDragonArt said:

This one made me laugh.  Boy she is in for a surprise lol.  Nicely done set of renders!

Thanks! Yeah, she's starting to wonder why her pup doesn't seem like he can wag his tail at all. His barking sounds pretty weird too. The vet may have to look him over for signs of injury.

Everyone always says that girls need healthy role-models while they're growing up. Their heroes mustn't be too "perfect," because striving for perfection causes stress, anxiety and low self-esteem. On the other hand, they shouldn't be tempted to take after people who did nothing to reach their potential either. Boys though... They do just fine, anyway. surprise

This one also just happened. I was trying to create the most cartoonishly buffed-out man I possibly could.

Paul deserves a close-up, because he's just so ridiculously handsome.

Eye-bleach. :) The straw looks like hair, durr hurr!

I couldn't resist getting 3D Universe's adorable little Rayn and Skyler. heart Several more of their little doll-girls are on my wishlist. I follow a lot of blogs of people who collect actual vinyl and resin dolls, and have enourmous collections of clothing and accessories for them. That's a much more expensive hobby than I'm willing to go into, so I'm collecting cute little dolls on my computer instead. I'm trying to copy some of the "doll collector aesthetic," though. I'm a sucker for cuteness when it comes to "real" 3d, which is kind of funny, because when I play Sims, I do this:

In one game neighbourhood, she's married to the dude in my user icon. You'd better believe their children are beautiful.

I made some minor tweaks to the John Crow character, mainly to give his chin a more pointed shape, and boy is he for real a looker. Welp, that's all for now. :)

So the wicked lure of Sims has pulled me in, once again, and I have been feeling less obsessive about DS. Which is probably a very good thing, because at this point my Simming hobby is completely free. angel But I haven't been able to stay totally clear of DS (or the wicked shop on this site), so I have made a few new renders I like for whatever reason.

I'm not really an artist, as I have said before. My thing is storytelling and character construction. I've got a thing for trying to make my renders look like those not-so-professional photos people take of their friends and loved ones. Here's one of a Character Under Construction. Her face is still pretty much vanilla G8F, because I started with the body shape. Usually, I always start with the face, but the process is a bit more delicate and complicated in DS compared to the character construction software in games. I'm still no champion at dial morphs, so everyone's faces will still be WIP for some time. Anywhoo, her name is Hailey, and she's got an "identical" twin named Jordan. They're actually not identical, because Jordan's got brown eyes. I've been playing around with hairs and clothes, trying to figure out their individual styles.

I did a couple of "yearbook pictures," using characters that are definitely not mine. laugh That doesn't mean that I don't have my own ideas about who they are, though. I know Skyler and Rayn are supposed to be BFF classmates, but in my "head canon" they're sisters. They just look so much alike, and so different from everyone else, that it makes sense to me.

Poor Josie always looks shell-shocked, no matter how I position her eyes. Puberty is trauma.

This was just a test, to see how the lighting worked. I freaking stink at getting indoor lighting to work in combination with HDRIs. Then I decided to keep the render, because it reminded me of some of the poor-quality childhood photos I have, developed by cheap envelope services. 

And then I just went and played dress-up. I love kit-bashing outfits. laugh

Hey, guys? Could someone be as sweet as to tell me what settings to change, to make this OOT hair look a little less transparent, please? Opacity is already at 100%. surprise

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2018

Not using IRay so don't know if there are some shader settings to adjust, but with3Delight I get that look when the opacity maps have a gamma value of 0 instead of 1 as it should be in a linear workflow. Maybe check the opacity maps in the image editor just to be sure?

Or set opacity limits off and strength to 120% or something?

Post edited by Sven Dullah on