Hex Begginer - Unable to Save Files

Hi everybody. I am new to Hexagon, so far it's great.

One huge issue I have, is when I am trying to save or export any model - even just a simple cube, it says: save failed

I am attaching a screenshot of the note I get when I am trying to save.

Tried to save in different folders and it didn't work as well.

Anybody has any idea what I can do?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Try using a path that's not filled with non-latin characters.

• What kind of folder name is that?

What kind of folder name is that?

One that Hexagon can't deal with.

• Hi, thanks for the answer. It's not a folder - it's my user that has non-english characters. I changed it to english - and it didn't help at all - hexagon still uses the old username. I guess I need to uninstall it and reinstall - and try to delete all the old files from my computer and database. if you have any advice, let me know.

What do you mean "uses the old one"? Do you not know how to navigate to a different folder?

• Hello everybody. Hope I am posting this in the right place. I'll try to explain it shortly:

new to Daz 3d. Installed it mainly for using Hexagon.

Unable to save anything when using Hexagon (even a simple cube). Someone in Hexagon forum suggested the reason for this is that the path Hexagon uses, when I try saving, contains non latin characters.

Unfortunately those non latin characters come from my Windows username, not from any specific folder.

Changed my Windows username to English - didn't help. Hexagon still uses my old non-latin username. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Daz+Hexagon using DIM. didn't help either.

Anyway to really delete every trace of Daz from my computer and install freshly? or any way to change the path Hexagon is using when I'm trying to save?

I really appreciate your help. Attached a screenshot of the error message.

Screenshot 2018-11-13 14.55.49.png
    1920 x 1080 - 172K
  • Merged threads

• Ascania said:

What do you mean "uses the old one"? Do you not know how to navigate to a different folder?

I am telling you it's not the folder that have the non latin name. It's my windows username. I can change to whatever folder - the username stays the same... eventhough I've already changed it to English, uninstalled and reinstalled.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2018
    I am telling you it's not the folder that have the non latin name. It's my windows username. I can change to whatever folder - the username stays the same... eventhough I've already changed it to English, uninstalled and reinstalled.

Ah    yes,  having entered it once some names have a tendency to linger in the registry.    You need someone far more teccy that can tell you how to completely clear an installed program from the system before you try installing it again.   I will see if I can find somone to help you.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

I'll take a look

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

When you save from Hexagon you do get a fiule save dialog, just navigate to a directory without UTF-8 special characters in it, maybe create a new directory somewhere on the root  C:\hexfiles  or something. I'm on OS X so I cannot test Windows behaviors, just tested to see what it does upon save.

edited November 2018

It IS a folder. Windows uses your user name as the name of the folder for all your personal documents. That's why you can navigate to it in the file manager. Simple basic Windows folder structure, look it up!

Navigate OUT of your personal folders. Use the freaking root directory for all it's worth. Heck, even create a completely new user with a name without special characters if that's what gives you your kicks.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited November 2018

Hi, thanks for the answer. It's not a folder - it's my user that has non-english characters. I changed it to english - and it didn't help at all - hexagon still uses the old username. I guess I need to uninstall it and reinstall - and try to delete all the old files from my computer and database. if you have any advice, let me know.

I've only installed Hexagon in default Windows folders. Same with all my other Windows apps.

Worse case, add a new user to your computer with an English name and install Hexagon for that user. Give user admin rights, blah blah.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on

Hi, thanks for the answer. It's not a folder - it's my user that has non-english characters. I changed it to english - and it didn't help at all - hexagon still uses the old username. I guess I need to uninstall it and reinstall - and try to delete all the old files from my computer and database. if you have any advice, let me know.

I've only installed Hexagon in default Windows folders. Same with all my other Windows apps.

Worse case, add a new user to your computer with an English name and install Hexagon for that user. Give user admin rights, blah blah.

The save folder for your models is not the same as the folder the program is installed in.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited November 2018

Hexagon has far more files that it saves than just your simple HXN file. You know this. Try to be more helpful.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • There is no need to jab at each other, please keep the conversation civil.

Hexagon has far more files that it saves than just your simple HXN file. You know this. Try to be more helpful.

And NONE of them are being saved to the program folder unless you actively try to navigate there.

• Chohole said:

Ah    yes,  having entered it once some names have a tendency to linger in the registry.    You need someone far more teccy that can tell you how to completely clear an installed program from the system before you try installing it again.   I will see if I can find somone to help you.

Thanks! appreciate your help. Will probably find someone who'll do it for me for a few dollars in the future. This program is great but make a bit of a mess on your computer:-)

Thanks! did this in the meantime, and it worked! I'll use it until I am able to clean up my computer. Will follow your advice in the future.

Totte said:

When you save from Hexagon you do get a fiule save dialog, just navigate to a directory without UTF-8 special characters in it, maybe create a new directory somewhere on the root  C:\hexfiles  or something. I'm on OS X so I cannot test Windows behaviors, just tested to see what it does upon save.

Thanks!! Would be helpful in the future.

Problem solved in the meantime! I am using a differrent user.

Confession: I am not a native English speaker, nor am I a 3d modeling expert, if you haven't guessed already. I am a glass artist using this for my new glass mithological creatures project. Therefore I sometimes have troubles understanding some of the technical jargon you use - I am used to my language's version, and usually when I have sirious troubles with programs I find a technician in Fivver... therefore I am quite inexperinced in things like users and registrey. By the way - I tried contacting support before asking here, but didn't get any reply, so I had to ask for your time and help.

So thanks for your all your advice ,it's great to know Hexagon has such an active community.

Have a great day everybody:-)

• handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
    edited December 2018

Micky:

Support is typically long in returning anything and by long, I mean weeks.
    I'm guessing they are dogged with more questions than they have staff for.

If you stay with this forum long you will find that some folks offer good and helpful advice and assistance and others are full of narrow ____.
    Be patient, give as much detail as you can provide and ignore useless replys and you'll get what your're looking for usually in a couple days tops.

No question is a stupid question (other than "how do I turn this thing on" anyway).

PS...
    Don't be shy about posting your work for us to see on HEX GALLERY (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6884/hex-gallery#latest)

Post edited by handyman4545 on