Help: Bryce 7 Pro crashes on launch {Side by side error] Windows Error

edited April 2013 in Bryce Discussion

I just finished downloading Bryce 7 Pro and I've unzipped and installed all the files, but the program won't run. When I try to run it, I get the following error message:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

Can someone tell me what this means, and what steps I need to take to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Steve.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2014

I guess that you are using a 64 bit system and are missing a .dll in your visualc++

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/20633961-Side-by-Side-Configuration-in-Bryce-7

Pop over to the microsft site and download this redistributal

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948854

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347

make sure you download the vcredist_x86.EXE that is the 32bit version that is missing.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

Thank-you very very much. That fixed it. Now to go rescue all my old .br6 files :D

edited December 1969

Glad it worked for you,

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you asked that question.
    I've just gone mad and purchased a new PC specifically for Daz and Bryce and was very disappointed last night when I got this error.
    Even more annoyed when this site was down for maintenance at the same time so - had to sit it out and try everything I could.

Thank you for the tip...

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I guess that you are using a 64 bit system and are missing a .dll in your visualc++

make sure you download the vcredist_x86.EXE that is the 32bit version that is missing.

Apologies for sounding incredibly stupid but I don't really understand this.... what parts do i need to download? So confused. :( I don't understand computer talk. You say to download the redistributal, but the first link talks about installing something off of a cd to find dependencies...of what thing on what thing?? I have no clue... and the second link has 3 different downloads and of course again I have no clue which to download and what to do with it.

All I can tell for now I guess is that Bryce is not compatible with 64 without extra fiddling on the part of the User? Bummer.

edited December 1969

You need the vcredist_x86.EXE

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Thank you chohole! downloaded, installed, loading bryce :D

edited December 1969

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy Bryce.

• bumpmap143bumpmap143 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I don't have the crash problem but I found that my render speeds are the same for my really old Mac dual using Bryce 5.5 and my Mac Pro intel 4 core using Bryce 7 (exact same file)........(actually the quad with B7 was 2 seconds slower.........what........

Any help would be greatly appreciated......

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

You need to set the priority to high. The default priority only uses half your cores which is why you are not seeing a speed increase compared to the older system. Look here to adjust the Priority. Best of luck.

Priority.jpg
    446 x 756 - 213K
  • bumpmap143bumpmap143 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the fast reply, Rashad. I tried resetting as you said and I actually got a slower test render.......(1st-Normal Rriority =31 seconds, 2nd- High Priority= 46 seconds.).......(I used a tiny format) Could there be a "check box" somewhere that I haven't found that allows the program to access more cores? I'm stumped.
    As I said before, thanks for the fast reply.

Terry

• edited December 1969

I have a new MacMini with Mac OS X mountain Lion, is there a way to run Bryce on this system, or does DAZ 3d just bought Bryce to let it die, that would be a shame and a real disappointment, you have to make a Bryce version that runs on Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, you can not let an amazing tools and a legend like Bryce die.:down:

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I have a new MacMini with Mac OS X mountain Lion, is there a way to run Bryce on this system, or does DAZ 3d just bought Bryce to let it die, that would be a shame and a real disappointment, you have to make a Bryce version that runs on Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, you can not let an amazing tools and a legend like Bryce die.:down:

They plan on it when it next comes into the developement cycle. It's been stated by official Daz representatives that their top priority is to try and get it working in OSX Lion and above. The big question mark though is whether it is a relatively simple problem to fix or requires a major revision or complete rewrite? If it's a relatively simple fix then it could happen in the next year, (although nobody has said when the next Dev cycle will begin or if Bryce will be included in it for certain). If it requires a major revision or a complete rewrite then it'll very likely take more then a year. In the meantime, while it's a less then satisfying solution, especially since so many Mac users despise Microsoft, you can successfully run the Windows version on the latest Macs using either Bootstrap or Parallels.

I doubt Daz would let it die completely but then again as is the case with all products and all companies, if it isn't producing a profit then it doesn't make good business sense to keep spending money on it. Unfortunately for Daz, Bryce does not really require additional content to make amazing scenes. This aspect of Bryce means that it's not much of a money maker for Daz, and now that it's not working for all Mac users of OSX Lion or above means that it's even less of a money maker because who is going to buy content for a program they can't even use? As to the of did Daz buy Bryce to let it die? The question is no, in fact them buying it is why it's not dead already and actually has greater abilities then when they bought it. Daz took it from version 5.5 to version 6, then 6.1, then 6.3, then 7, and most recently 7.1 which is more developement then any of the companies that owned Bryce before Daz.

Also unfortunately for Daz the things they sell are not what many people see as essential and therefore with the economy of the world being as bad as it has been the past several years sales of all Daz products have dropped sharply leaving Daz with not a whole lot of money to work with for further developement. On the other side of the coin though you have Apple who created the problem by making their OS no longer backwards compatible with many programs by dropping an enulator called Rosetta, which was purely a business decision because Apple doesn't own Rosetta and their licensing for it expired, so to keep running it they would have had to pay more money to renew their license. Now Apple makes a great many products huge numbers of people see as essential, namely things like the iphone, the ipad, the ipod to name a few. They are so essential in fact that even in a bad economy sales for these products have stayed strong and even risen to the point that Apple is now the richest company in US History. In other words they could easily afford to either renew the license for Rosetta or find their own programing solution to allow the chipset of the newer computers (Intel) to work with code written for the older chipsets (Motorola). Seeing as how it was their decision to drop Rosetta that broke Daz and they have way more money to spend on developement then Daz, Mac users should be demanding Apple fix this incompatability issue if they want a faster solution and or don't want to risk Bryce eventually dying off.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Thanks, Pam!

I just installed 7.1 on a 32-bit Win7 box and had the same problem and running vcredist_x86.exe fixed it up. So this is a good fix for 32-bit users, also :)

Thanks again,

joe

• ravyncloverravynclover Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know why I'm getting that error message now after formatting the pc. Bryce 7 & 7 Pro both worked fine in it before. (Also no problems with a couple older versions I reinstalled) All the MS updates are installed, even some that I hadn't done before. I'm using Vista .. 32 bit. There are three 2005 MS Visuals ++ installed, one 2008 (x86) & one 2010 (x86) .. Could one of them be causing the problem?

• BILL.TIMKOBILL.TIMKO Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I have a slightly different problem when I attempt to load Bryce; It simply drops. The program appears to be loading for a moment, I get a dialogue box asking if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer, then... nothing. I've tried running it as the administrator, and I've tried disabling Avast,

Any ideas? I'm running win7/64 bit

Thanks

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know why I'm getting that error message now after formatting the pc. Bryce 7 & 7 Pro both worked fine in it before. (Also no problems with a couple older versions I reinstalled) All the MS updates are installed, even some that I hadn't done before. I'm using Vista .. 32 bit. There are three 2005 MS Visuals ++ installed, one 2008 (x86) & one 2010 (x86) .. Could one of them be causing the problem?

I just went through this excercise getting Bryce lightning up and running on my machines.

Leave Bryce alone.

Uninstall all versions of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable" ALL of them. Leave the 2008 and 2010 alone.

Only uninstall the 2005 versions.

You dont have to reboot at this point.

Download and install this version from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=26347

and the side by side error should be gone.

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

I have a slightly different problem when I attempt to load Bryce; It simply drops. The program appears to be loading for a moment, I get a dialogue box asking if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer, then... nothing. I've tried running it as the administrator, and I've tried disabling Avast,

Thanks

I dont have a specific answer, but this is how I would approach it.

1. Look in the Event Viewer and see if there are any errors in the application log that might give you a clue as what is going on.
    Click the Start button. In the Search box, type Event Viewer, and then, in the list of results, double-click Event Viewer.
    If you cant find and answer try step 2.

2. uninstall all instances of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005" and re-install from the link I provided above.

If this doesnt work, try step 3 but it could be risky as CCleaner is better suited for advanced users.
    and I dont know your computer skill level.

3. uninstall Bryce and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
    Run CCleaner to registry and remove any traces of Bryce.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Use your judgement when following these instructions.

edited December 1969

Thanks

I’m not sure this is the solution to your problem but did you make sure you were installing the latest version of Bryce 7 Pro which is v7.1.0.109? I think I remember seeing someone having a similar problem and it turned out he was attemting to install an earlier version of Bryce 7 Pro. If my memory is correct then he reset his downloads, downloaded and installed the newest version (v7.1.0.109) and that solved his problem.

• BILL.TIMKOBILL.TIMKO Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I’m not sure this is the solution to your problem but did you make sure you were installing the latest version of Bryce 7 Pro which is v7.1.0.109?Yes.

I dont have a specific answer, but this is how I would approach it.

1. Look in the Event Viewer and see if there are any errors in the application log that might give you a clue as what is going on.
    Click the Start button. In the Search box, type Event Viewer, and then, in the list of results, double-click Event Viewer.
    If you cant find and answer try step 2.

Wow.. that's confusing... I've no idea how to use event viewer effectively.

2. uninstall all instances of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005" and re-install from the link I provided above.

If this doesnt work, try step 3 but it could be risky as CCleaner is better suited for advanced users.
    and I dont know your computer skill level.

3. uninstall Bryce and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
    Run CCleaner to registry and remove any traces of Bryce.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Use your judgement when following these instructions.
    Did all that. It's still not loading. *cries*

edited December 1969

Well I have no idea then, I'm running Bryce 7 Pro in Win7 64 bit and I'm having absolutely no problems. I know it's a pain but you might try redownloading and reinstalling Bryce 7 Pro because the only thing I can think of is somehow either your install files got corrupted but are somehow still able to run .or something went wrong in the installation process. Bryce doesn't make any unusual calls out thru the internet so there is no reason a virus program may have blocked it from running with a firewall.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Thanks for this Chohole - I tried the solution given in the help center first and that didn't work - this information should really be posted there too.

• BurrManBurrMan Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Is your Bryce installation in the "Program files" folder? you want to be sure you are installing it here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7

Right clcik your Bryce icon and choose properties-open file location and check where it is.

Uninstall Bryce and then delete the bryce folder that is in it's current location, then re-install it and be sure the path is in the 32 bit program files location.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

BurrMan said:
    Is your Bryce installation in the "Program files" folder? you want to be sure you are installing it here:

Right clcik your Bryce icon and choose properties-open file location and check where it is.

Uninstall Bryce and then delete the bryce folder that is in it's current location, then re-install it and be sure the path is in the 32 bit program files location.

That's probably not very wise. I've never ever installed a program on the C-drive, which is exclusively reserved for the operating system. None of all the Bryce versions from 4 to 7.1 and several betas I have installed runs from the C-drive, neither do the three Studio versions 2.3, 3 and 4.6.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    BurrMan said:

That's probably not very wise. I've never ever installed a program on the C-drive, which is exclusively reserved for the operating system. None of all the Bryce versions from 4 to 7.1 and several betas I have installed runs from the C-drive, neither do the three Studio versions 2.3, 3 and 4.6.

Not everyone has multiple drives though. Many still have just the one hard drive (Drive C). That being said I agree completely that when possible it's best to have programs like Bryce on a separate drive. Me personally I have a drive that is dedicated to nothing but 3D related programs (Bryce, Studio, Poser, etc.)

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Well Horo, for you to acheive that, you have probably jumped through a few other hoops. Like disabling UAC and also knowledge on managing your permissions/ particular installation problems etc.......

I always put my apps on my C drive. The x86 program files folder is where 32 bit programs should reside when doing so on a 64 bit system, and Bryce wants to default to the program files folder, which would be incorrect.

which is exclusively reserved for the operating system.

No. That would be the "root of c"... The program files folders (the 2) are where apps are installed (and should be installed) by default.

There is nothing wrong with creating a seperate software install drive other than C, but that should be done by knowledgable users.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Not everyone has multiple drives though. Many still have just the one hard drive (Drive C). That being said I agree completely that when possible it's best to have programs like Bryce on a separate drive. Me personally I have a drive that is dedicated to nothing but 3D related programs (Bryce, Studio, Poser, etc.)
    There's something like partitioning a drive.

Well Horo, for you to acheive that, you have probably jumped through a few other hoops. Like disabling UAC and also knowledge on managing your permissions/ particular installation problems etc......

Well, no. Since I'm not on C, I'm not having that kind of issues. Problem is, I'm a complete computer dummy and need that things work.

But no problem, everybody should be happy the way he/she finds suitable for the purpose. Since I started with computers (1980) I never ever encountered issues as some forumites report. Therefore I think I can't have got it completely wrong. But it might well be that I've just been lucky.

edited December 1969

I am completely hopeless when it comes to the technical side of computers, but I too have all my programs installed on my D drive. THat includes a couple of different versions of Bryce, Poser and Photoshop and have had problems at all, apart from needing to install the redistributal from MS to add the missing 32 bit .dll. when I first installed Bryce 7 on this new win 7 computer.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    There's something like partitioning a drive.

I'm a complete computer dummy and need that things work.

Since I started with computers (1980) I never ever encountered issues as some forumites report.

These statements dont equate to each other.....

"Most" people just work out of defaults.

The op has an issue and I gave a suggestion for him to try to eliminate the crash. To state that installation in either of the program files folders on the C drive is "not recomemded/desirable" is incorrect. Thats just a preference. (And there is nothing wrong with that preference)

I guess you would suggest that if he installs bryce on his D drive that would fix his crash? That may do it also, but he would still have to delete the original installation folder.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

So glad I came across this while looking for a solution to the same problem :) If this is a known issue, why does Daz not simply bundle the vcredist with Bryce - or simply put in a short readme?

Anyway, it is working - thanks to you all.

A related question - there are three .exe files that came with the main .exe - do I need to run them as well, or did the installer do that automatically?