Preset problem

Sometime ago while installing some trees downloaded from renderosity by JudyK the install failed. My special trees presets all disappeared leaving just black sqaures. Numerous uninstalls/re installs have not solved the problem. Whats going on ???

Cheers

GG

Comments

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198

As an after thought, all the other preset categories are fine.

Cheers

GG

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited November 2019

kiwi_gg - I'm not sure what went wrong. The trees came in a zip file, each tree as an object (obp) file. I had to add each one to the library and this way it works.

JudyK Trees

JKtrees.jpg
    662 x 407 - 52K
    Post edited by Horo on

Thanks Horo, the whole special trees category just seems to be frozen I can't delete it or even highlight a square.

I'll have another crack at it later. I have a backup preset folder on a removeable drive so I might try something with that.

Cheers

GG

You're using the library with the Special Trees by Foleypro (Objects\Installed). If it doesn't work (maybe the library is read-only) you can always create your own library by clicking on the + sign. You can even create a new folder in the Bryce main folder: Presets\Objects\MyNewFolder or use the User.obp in the User folder and add your stuff in there. I have never added anything in the Installed folder, always made new ones.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    kiwi_gg said:

Sometime ago while installing some trees downloaded from renderosity by JudyK the install failed. My special trees presets all disappeared leaving just black sqaures. Numerous uninstalls/re installs have not solved the problem. Whats going on ???

Cheers

GG

If you added in ... \ Bryce7 \ Presets \ Objects \ Installed \ Special Trees ... a few more (many) objects and the file exceeded the value of 2 GB, then you can lose this file forever. I had such a negative experience. Try applying LAA when opening this library, although I'm not sure ...
    my advice:
    1. Never add your objects, materials, etc. to the default files and folders, but create your own files and folders for presets.
    2. Make sure that each of your files does not exceed 2 GB in size, otherwise you will lose everything!
    3. Periodically copy your presets to another drive or folder.

Horo, Slepalex.  Thanks guys.

Good thoughts and advice from both of you.Its been some years since I've done much with Bryce and I had forgotten about the 2 GB limit, it is possible thats whats happened. It also appears impossible to remove the dead category as well.

Cheers

GG

kiwi_gg said:

Horo, Slepalex.  Thanks guys.

Good thoughts and advice from both of you.Its been some years since I've done much with Bryce and I had forgotten about the 2 GB limit, it is possible thats whats happened. It also appears impossible to remove the dead category as well.

Cheers

GG

Any file from the Bryce directory is deleted by standard means. You need to explain how to work with the left and right mouse button, as well as tell where the "Delete" key is on the keyboard?

01.jpg
    605 x 402 - 80K

Slepalex

That was the first thing I done. I now have the special trees back in a new category. However the old Special Trees Category still loads every time I launch B7 in spite of the fact it is deleted from the "installed" folder. I have even uninstalled and deleted every entry in the registry related to B7, reinstalling B7 using a fresh download from my product library here has notresolved the issue.

scr sh 1.jpg
    543 x 371 - 48K
    scr sh 2.jpg
    739 x 472 - 44K

Strange. Two things come to mind: (1) select the Special Trees like shown in your picture, then click on the minus (-) that should remove the folder; (2) reboot your computer if you haven't done this already.

Horo said:

Strange. Two things come to mind: (1) select the Special Trees like shown in your picture, then click on the minus (-) that should remove the folder; (2) reboot your computer if you haven't done this already.

Horo, I vaguely remember that once when reinstalling another operating system and installing Bryce on a different drive (not C), I had duplicate preset files around here: C: \ Users \ Alexey \ Documents \ DAZ 3D \ Bryce. Therefore, when deleting anything from the Bryce main directory, this preset appeared again and again until I found this place and permanently deleted everything unnecessary from this folder. This directory was created and now on the C drive, but the original presets are missing here. I reinstalled Bryce and the OS so many times that I don’t remember all the nuances and details. However, reasoning analytically, I always dealt with these minor problems.
    After I installed the operating system on the disk, I divide it into two sections. After that, I install Bryce to drive D, E, F, etc., and copy all my presets from the spare drive.
    So now I have the following folders on drive C, but now they do not affect the main content of Bryce.

01.jpg
    878 x 615 - 109K

Ah yes, if Bryce or parts of it are installed in different locations, one always takes precedence. I also have my two hard disks divided (C, E, G and D, F, H) and keep C as free as possible for the operating system. Bryce (and also Daz Studio) are on D, also the Daz library. If Bryce was first installed on C and later moved to another drive, the Registry may still have the link to the C drive, which is always the first drive any program looks for files, even if there is a second entry to another drive.

D_Bryce.jpg
    800 x 800 - 171K
    Horo said:

That was a stuff up. Haha. Horo, been there done that. Both the + & - buttons are not working. Slepalex, I have come to the same conclusion that there is a ghost file some where in my system, Just a matter of finding it.

Cheers

GG

Go it sorted. As my computer only had a quite large C; drive I decided to partition it and follow Horo's method of install to the new drive and BINGO!!!! worked a treat.

So thankyou Horo and Slepalex your input was instrumental in the solution.

Cheers

GG

Glad you could sort it out and thank you for reporting back.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 440

Horo,

Hello.  I am a "dabbler" in 3D computer graphics.  Bryce 5 was the first 3D CG program that I bought (2003 on CD-ROM from Corel); I was teaching high school mathematics at the time.  I later discovered and bought several other 3D CG software after 2007; I was teaching community college mathematics then.  I retired last year and now have much more time to dabble.  I decided to install Bryce 7 (which I've had since 2010) last week.  I've learned a bit from dabbling with the other 3D CG software over the years but it's taken me a while to try to understand the Bryce file structure, library structure, etc.  Your Bryce Content FAQ document helped a lot.

The thing that is perplexing me now is something that is happening in my Presets/Objects folder.  While exploring how to create new sub-libraries, I created one for the Bryce 5.5 Content Kit that I was going to install.  Using the Windows 10 File Explorer, I created a sub-library folder in the Objects folder.  Before I copied content to the folder, I decided that I wanted it in the User sub-library so I deleted the folder that I had created.  The Bryce 5.5 Content Kit category still exists in Bryce even though the folder no  longer exists on my hard drive.  The same thing happened with a Test sub-library that I used to explore the matter.

Any suggestions on what went wrong or how I can delete the sub-libraries in Bryce even though the folders no longer exist on my hard drive?

Objects presets.jpg
    678 x 534 - 61K
    Hard drive Presets-Objects folder.jpg
    624 x 445 - 76K
  • NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,794

I don't know how you add or create your folders but I always do mine manually.  I go to C://program Files (x86)/Daz 3D/Bryce7/Presets/ and open the folder I need (ie- objects - skies - materials - etc.) and create a new folder or add my file into an existing folder.  I just made a folder in Objects called Lighting.  While using Bryce I will add a radial light or sphere with a light material on it and save it to that folder from inside Bryce.

NGartplay,

Hello.  I did create (and later delete) the two folders manually on my hard drive in Bryce7/Presets/Objects.  Now, the folders are deleted on my hard drive but remain in Bryce.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,794

That's strange.  Hopefully Horo or someone more knowledgeable will have a solution.

jjoyner - welcome back to Bryce. Strange things happened to you. There are two things I can think of.
    (1) there must exist a second place where the folders exist which Bryce sees but not you. If you install whatever software on the C-drive, it is always a bit difficult to know where all files are. Check C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D whether there is anything Bryce, not only C:\Program Files ...
    (2) Win10 is a bit tricky. If you switch the computer off, what's on the C-drive gets saved (C:\hiberfil.sys a hidden file). When you start the computer, this file is read so you have everything back as it was when turning the computer down - or if it crashed for any reason. If you press the [Shift] key while clicking on Switch-Off (or whatever it is called, I have the German Win version), this file will not be written and the computer starts without reading that file and it therefore takes a bit longer to boot. That file is also saved when using the power switch to switch off the computer and there is also a trick to prevent that, but I don't remember what must be done.

edited December 2020

Horo,

You solved the mystery!  It was indeed a file in AppData.  I had thought that the problem could be due to a hidden file but after turning on Hidden Files last week, I only looked in the Bryce7 directory.  I rarely think of AppData unless someone, software/content instructions, or a web page points me there.  I checked in ... AppData\Roaming\DAZ3D but had no Bryce folder.  So, I used File Explorer's search feature and searched AppData for the word bryce.  The search turned up 58 items but most were recently visited files/folders.  However, the second item listed was a Bryce 5.5 Content Kit folder located at ... AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DAZ3D\Bryce7\Presets\Objects.  When I went there, the two folders that I was trying to delete from Bryce were there - Bryce 5.5 Content Kit and Test. I deleted them and they no longer appear in Bryce!!

Bryce search.jpg
    1285 x 371 - 212K
    Post edited by jjoyner on

Glad to hear that you found the culprit. Thank you for repoerting back.