Terre Sculptor 2.0 (Free)

Good Afternoon Brycers,

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed on a forum.

TerreSculptor 2.0 Full Version (Windows) is now free (http://www.demenzunmedia.com/home/support/)

by Demenzun Media (http://www.demenzunmedia.com/home/).

There are inexpensive payment options for extras like software support and updates (https://www.patreon.com/demenzunmedia).

*Note: If the First Mirror doesn't work properly, try the second.

Have Fun and Render.

Comments

• Thanks for this. Is there a Terre Sculptor gallery we can view before jumping in? Maybe some user details? Thanks Eugenius

• as a Carrara user I pondered the same thing Brycers might be

why?

when we have perfectly good terrain generators in our respective programs?

.. and a DAZ studio user could not use it for the same reason they don't export Carrara and Bryce terrains devil

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Eugenius - thanks for the link. I couldn't find any examples to get an idea what it can do. I've tried a couple of terrain editors meanwhile and also paid money for some.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

as a Carrara user I pondered the same thing Brycers might be

why?

.. and a DAZ studio user could not use it for the same reason they don't export Carrara and Bryce terrains devil

Because more options are always good? Each program has its strengths and weaknesses, and works in its own way. It may be useful in combination with your other programs, or work better for you than the one you currently use. 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Good Afternoon Brycers,

TerreSculptor 2.0 Full Version (Windows) is now free (http://www.demenzunmedia.com/home/support/)

There are inexpensive payment options for extras like software support and updates (https://www.patreon.com/demenzunmedia).

Have Fun and Render.

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know!

To look at your webpage, it appears this is a long-term labor of love.

Your web page is quite nice, and would certainly benefit from some samples of the results - perhaps some of the users around these parts can share some outputs and help generate the interest a project like this deserves.

Best to you and thanks again for thinking of us - I may send a pointer over to the Carrara folks if you haven't already.

cheers,

--ms

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2020

The YouTube link 1 and YouTube link 2 offers nice examples to its potential use.

I wonder, is the software capable of overlaying a global cylindrical Mercator DEM on to a sphere, and produce actual bump when looking at limb regions.

Thanks, Eugenius Maximus, anyway, for the freebie...looks great.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

There are some tutorials on You Tube. Looks like a nice working tool. Might give it a try.

TerreSculptor and Bryce. The download contains a manual installer (just un-zip and copy the files where you want them, around 110 MB) and an installer (which I didn't use). There is quite a learning curve ..

Bryce Terrain Export to TerreSculptor Import
    A TIF exported from the TE cannot be imported because the file header has some errors, but it can be loaded into TE-Filters (which corrects the mistakes and saves a proper TIF file - but TE-Filters is not free).
    A PNG exported from Bryce can be imported without issues.

TerreSculptor Export to Bryce Import
    A TIF exported without compression can be be loaded into the Bryce TE (TE-Filters crash because of the way the data is stored in the TerreSculptor TIF file).
    A PNG exported without compression can be be loaded into the Bryce TE.
    A RAW 16-bit can be converted with TIFF4816 (free) if the file type .r16 is changed to .raw (the resulting TIF can be read by the Bryce TE and TE-Filters).

edited February 2020

That's very useful, Horo...many thanks.

I do hope Eugenius Maximus is monitoring this thread, and will get back to us re: queries/comments/suggestions from all.

Jay

• Thanks for this. Is there a Terre Sculptor gallery we can view before jumping in? Maybe some user details? Thanks Eugenius

Hi Rashad,

Sorry for the late reply; I didn't see any thread replies via my email, so I'll check on that.

I Googled it and found random images, but not much. I came across Terre Sculptor last year when I was looking for an in-depth terrain generator.

• as a Carrara user I pondered the same thing Brycers might be

why?

WendyLovesCatz -  I've used Bryce since version 3 (1997) and have upgraded every version since. It has had it's growing pains which some of us here have seen it go through and though the upgrades were amazing, Bryce's Terrain Editor section of the software had been mostly neglected. In comparison to other high-resolution terrain generation software out there today, Bryce is trailing way behind. That being said, it does amazing rendering, texturing, HDRI lighting, atmospheres, etc... Terre Sculptor can do 8192 x 8192 resolution and higher and it also challenges us to try new software from which we can import a generated terrain into Bryce and play around with it. It might be able to import in Daz as well.

• Horo said:

Eugenius - thanks for the link. I couldn't find any examples to get an idea what it can do. I've tried a couple of terrain editors meanwhile and also paid money for some.

Hi Horo - I have been experimenting with the limited edition off and on and the 2.0 version is loaded. I think the parent company is going a new direction by giving it away and hope to get users to subscribe and give a monthly donation for upcoming upgrades. I haven't seen any galleries either. 

• mindsong said:

Good Afternoon Brycers,

Have Fun and Render.

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know!

To look at your webpage, it appears this is a long-term labor of love.

Your web page is quite nice, and would certainly benefit from some samples of the results - perhaps some of the users around these parts can share some outputs and help generate the interest a project like this deserves.

Best to you and thanks again for thinking of us - I may send a pointer over to the Carrara folks if you haven't already.

cheers,

--ms

Hi Mindsong,

Thanks for spreading the word to the Carrara folks and thanks for your kind comments. There's a lot of love here in the Bryce Forum :-)

• Horo said:

TerreSculptor and Bryce. The download contains a manual installer (just un-zip and copy the files where you want them, around 110 MB) and an installer (which I didn't use). There is quite a learning curve ..

Bryce Terrain Export to TerreSculptor Import
    A TIF exported from the TE cannot be imported because the file header has some errors, but it can be loaded into TE-Filters (which corrects the mistakes and saves a proper TIF file - but TE-Filters is not free).
    A PNG exported from Bryce can be imported without issues.

TerreSculptor Export to Bryce Import
    A TIF exported without compression can be be loaded into the Bryce TE (TE-Filters crash because of the way the data is stored in the TerreSculptor TIF file).
    A PNG exported without compression can be be loaded into the Bryce TE.
    A RAW 16-bit can be converted with TIFF4816 (free) if the file type .r16 is changed to .raw (the resulting TIF can be read by the Bryce TE and TE-Filters).

Horo - That's awesome! I'll have to give a crack on my day off :-)

• Jamahoney said:

That's very useful, Horo...many thanks.

I do hope Eugenius Maximus is monitoring this thread, and will get back to us re: queries/comments/suggestions from all.

Jay

I hear you Brother :-)

• I created a simple TerreSculptor terrain of 8192 x 8192 resolution and exported it as a PGM format. It imported in Bryce as 4 separate terrains, each at 4096 x 4096 resolution and perfectly tiled; I thought it was interesting given that I never had a terrain generator that could export 8192 x 8192, so this is new for me. As Horo mentioned, there is a learning curve to TS and it is a little quirky but I think it can be a great tool to have in your arsenal.

Terre_Trial_Wire_1.png
    1112 x 807 - 515K
    Terre_Trial_1.png
    1114 x 819 - 956K
    Terre_Trial_Artwork_2.png
    1114 x 819 - 2M
    edited February 2020

Eugenius - I have to try this! If it's true that Bryce imports a 8192 terrain in full resolution as 4 tiled 4096 terrains that would be great news indeed.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Eugenius MaximusEugenius Maximus Posts: 157
    edited February 2020

Horo - Absolutely! I wonder if TS can do a 16384 x 16384 resolution terrain? Bryce would probably crash on import :-)

Post edited by Eugenius Maximus on

Eugenius - this thought also occurred to me. That would make it around a 540 MB terrain. Hopefully, I can manage some time tomorrow. Fact is, from WorldCreator I also used to export 8192 but then reduced it to 4096.

• Horo - The PGM file size for the first trial terrain is 393,217 kb. Here, on the second trial terrain, the PGM file size is 1,572,865 (imported as16 tiled-terrains at 4096 x 4096 resolution); this is after generating a 16384 x 16384 resolution terrains in TS. It would have been nice to have been able to generate 8192 resolution terrains in World Creator I; one of GeoControl's strengths was the ability to easily assign different filters per terrain layer, making interesting landscapes. 

Dunes_Wireframe_Trial_2.png
    1087 x 768 - 395K
    Dunes_Trial_2.png
    1114 x 819 - 388K
    edited February 2020

Apologies, Eugenius Maximus...in that I took you initially to be an actual developer of the TS. Will construct if global DEMs are possible in the software...I've contacted Terre Sculptor.

Jay

• Hi Jay,

No apologies needed; honest mistake. Thanks for looking into DEMs.

Eugenius

edited February 2020

Been in contact with David at Terre Sculptor 2.0, who has been extremely helpful: so the end result is, it does not support cylindrical Mercator maps. That said, however, it looks like David's maps are far ad-vanced for use in the gaming engines like Unreal 4 and Unity...etc.

John Moore

PS. I use 'kill boxes' online in Unreal and Steam, and I'm quite rutless...so beware wink 

Eugenius - yes, PNG is lossless compressed. However, it is decompressed in Bryce so the memory usage increases. Loading a 4096 16-bit TIF needs 250 MB, loading a 4096 16-bit PNG 480 MB to decompress, them also 250 MB. When leaving the TE, a mesh is created and both have the same size.

Bryce can load a 8192 terrain but since you can only set the terrain size to max 4096, the 8192 is automatically reduced. If I set the terrain size to the default 512 and load a 8192 file, it loads and is reduced to 512. There is no tiling.

Though I must say I created the height map to import in a graphics application. WorldCreator can create terrains that can be tiled but they look like wall tiles, each the same. In Bryce, you get new terrrains adjacent to the previous. I haven't had the time yet to try the tiling option in Terre Sculptor.