Adding Dual Quaternion support to UnrealEngine4 (Images inside)

Comments

• How much space take  the 4.32-mod?I build it right now and i already at 62GB?

Thank

• MacislavMacislav Posts: 126

I checked my folder and it is around 81 GB.

• I used the following to just get the DQ support and merge with latest on 4.23 branch from Epic

git clone https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git
    cd UnrealEngine
    git checkout origin/4.23
    git pull https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git 4.23
    git cherry-pick 3ade5ca212dbbd545b

If you want to merge in the TIFF changes, replace the last line with 

git merge origin/4.23-mod

Then follow Epic build instructions

I think it worked but it's hard to tell. The improvements seem subtle for the animations I'm using. I am trying to get rid of bending joints losing volume and looking rubbery and it seems to accomplish that. As an alternative, it should be possible to edit the vertex weighting in DAZ so it looks better with Linear skinning. You can switch the skinning mode in the DAZ editor in the Node Weight Brush tool so you can figure out what looks okay. I may try that instead of using this build. 

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

I used the following to just get the DQ support and merge with latest on 4.23 branch from Epic

git clone https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git
    cd UnrealEngine
    git checkout origin/4.23
    git pull https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git 4.23
    git cherry-pick 3ade5ca212dbbd545b

If you want to merge in the TIFF changes, replace the last line with 

git merge origin/4.23-mod

Then follow Epic build instructions

I think it worked but it's hard to tell. The improvements seem subtle for the animations I'm using. I am trying to get rid of bending joints losing volume and looking rubbery and it seems to accomplish that. As an alternative, it should be possible to edit the vertex weighting in DAZ so it looks better with Linear skinning. You can switch the skinning mode in the DAZ editor in the Node Weight Brush tool so you can figure out what looks okay. I may try that instead of using this build. 

ok i'm using the epic launcher version of the engine, is possible do add the DQ to him??? if yes, how??? i'm using the 4.23.1.

i don't know if you already did but would be good also to import teh "corrective morphs" with the character to unreal, then knowing how to do that, setup the morphs in the animgrah to work with the animations.

and for the last "the 4.24 is nearly close to come any chances to get a update version for it?.

• 4.23-mod and 4.24-mod have been updated.

4.23-mod and 4.24-mod have been updated.

wow very good news.

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 789
    edited December 2019

For those that aren't familiar with github, you can go in my repository and select one of the mod branches then just download the zip. Unzip it on your local drive somewhere.

Download msvc 2017 community edition. Install it. Install the "Desktop Development with C++" workload. I'd install the "Game development with C++" workload as well. Make sure the latest Windows SDK is also installed.

If at some point, one of the UE4 commands complains about .net, you'll have to go into the MSVC 2017 installer and select the "Individual components" tab and install the .net version that UE4 wants and then run the UE4 command again that had failed.

In your start menu, go into the Visual Studio 2017 subfolder and click on "x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for MSVC 2017"

Go into your zip folder. "cd myue4zipfolder". Replace myue4zipfolder with the path of your ue4 folder where you unzipped it.

type "setup" without the quotes

type "GenerateProjectFiles" without the quotes

Open File explorer

Go to the zip folder (the folder where you unzipped)

Double click on UE4.sln  This will launch msvc 2017 and load UE4 solution.

At the top, there should be a dropdown. Select "Development Editor". The other dropdown should be win64.

Right click the UE4 project and click build. Wait 10 to 40 minutes depending on your machine.

You can now run it by click on the menu "Debug" then "Start Without Debugging". Or run it directly from the Engine/Binaries/Win64 folder. The executable is called UE4Editor.exe

If someone wants the git steps, I can provide that too.

Post edited by AlienRenders on

For those that aren't familiar with github, you can go in my repository and select one of the mod branches then just download the zip. Unzip it on your local drive somewhere.

Download msvc 2017 community edition. Install it. Install the "Desktop Development with C++" workload. I'd install the "Game development with C++" workload as well. Make sure the latest Windows SDK is also installed.

If at some point, one of the UE4 commands complains about .net, you'll have to go into the MSVC 2017 installer and select the "Individual components" tab and install the .net version that UE4 wants and then run the UE4 command again that had failed.

In your start menu, go into the Visual Studio 2017 subfolder and click on "x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for MSVC 2017"

Go into your zip folder. "cd myue4zipfolder". Replace myue4zipfolder with the path of your ue4 folder where you unzipped it.

type "setup" without the quotes

type "GenerateProjectFiles" without the quotes

Open File explorer

Go to the zip folder (the folder where you unzipped)

Double click on UE4.sln  This will launch msvc 2017 and load UE4 solution.

At the top, there should be a dropdown. Select "Development Editor". The other dropdown should be win64.

Right click the UE4 project and click build. Wait 10 to 40 minutes depending on your machine.

You can now run it by click on the menu "Debug" then "Start Without Debugging". Or run it directly from the Engine/Binaries/Win64 folder. The executable is called UE4Editor.exe

If someone wants the git steps, I can provide that too.

that would be good too, specially to show how to proper "update" the engine when using github.

• Ellessarr said:

This works great! I have the major bones set up so far. No finger or toes yet. Makes a huge difference bending the foot bones backwards.

Ellessarr said:

This works great! I have the major bones set up so far. No finger or toes yet. Makes a huge difference bending the foot bones backwards.

i sended a pm for you

• UpL8RenderingUpL8Rendering Posts: 129
    edited December 2019
    Ellessarr said:

i sended a pm for you

I responded to your PM.

The video above doesn't go into a lot of detail how this is set up. Here's a bit more information.

First create an Animation Blueprint. Name it something like Post_Process_Anim

(See Head_FWD.png below)

Start with an Input Pose node.  This will look at whatever pose your character is making.

Create a Bone Driven Controller node and apply these settings.

Source Bone = The bone you want to check the rotation of to drive the morph

Source Component = Which axis of that bone do you want to check the rotation of to drive the morph

Remap Source Checked

Source Range = What range of motion will drive the morph. Example - if the bone's x rotation moves from 0 to -27 then the morph be applied from 0 (no influence) to 1 (full influence)

Destination Mode = Morph Target

Parameter Name = Paste the name of the morph you will be driving.

Connecting the Bone Driven Controller node to the Input Pose node should automatically generate the Local to Component node.

(See Head_BCK.png below)

You will likely need to have one node for forward rotations and one node for backward rotations.

Do this for each bone axis you need a morph target for.

(See End.png below)

Connecting the last Bone Driven Controller node to the Output Pose node will generate the Component To Local node for you.

(See Enable_Post_Processing.png below)

Once this is set up go to your mesh's Asset Details panel. Under Skeletal Mesh - Post Process Anim Blueprint select the animation blueprint you just created.

You may have to enable it on the right or from the yellow bar at the bottom.

The end result should be that as you animate you character these morph targets will be automatically applied to you mesh.

Edit: Tried to be more clear

Head_FWD.png
    1936 x 1048 - 620K
    Head_BCK.png
    1936 x 1048 - 616K
    End.png
    1936 x 1048 - 569K
    Enable_Post_Process.png
    1936 x 1048 - 1M
    Post edited by UpL8Rendering on
    Ellessarr said:

i sended a pm for you

I responded to your PM.

The video above doesn't go into a lot of detail how this is set up. Here's a bit more information.

(See Head_FWD.png below)

Start with an Input Pose node.  This will look at whatever pose your character is making.

Source Component = Which axis of that bone do you want to check the rotation of to drive the morph

Remap Source Checked

Source Range = What range of motion will drive the morph. Example - if the bone's x rotation moves from 0 to -27 then the morph be applied from 0 (no influence) to 1 (full influence)

Connecting the Bone Driven Controller node to the Input Pose node should automatically generate the Local to Component node.

(See Head_BCK.png below)

You will likely need to have one node for forward rotations and one node for backward rotations.

(See End.png below)

Connecting the last Bone Driven Controller node to the Output Pose node will generate the Component To Local node for you.

Once this is set up go to your mesh's Asset Details panel. Under Skeletal Mesh - Post Process Anim Blueprint select the animation blueprint you just created.

The end result should be that as you animate you character these morph targets will be automatically applied to you mesh.

thanks!!!!

• Does anyone know if it would be violating Daz3d licensing agreement to share or distribute an UE4 project that is set up for Daz3d models even if all skeletal/static meshes and textures are removed first?

So basically a project that only included a bone hierarchy that is similar to that of a Daz3d characters, the post process morph target setup like that mentioned above. Maybe a couple character blueprints.

What about basic poses for eyes (left, right, up, down), visemes, or smile-frown etc. (Obviously no purchased facial expressions, poses, or animations)

The users of the project would still have to have to use Daz3d and other software to export and set up their own characters for it to be of any use.

• Does anyone know if it would be violating Daz3d licensing agreement to share or distribute an UE4 project that is set up for Daz3d models even if all skeletal/static meshes and textures are removed first?

So basically a project that only included a bone hierarchy that is similar to that of a Daz3d characters, the post process morph target setup like that mentioned above. Maybe a couple character blueprints.

What about basic poses for eyes (left, right, up, down), visemes, or smile-frown etc. (Obviously no purchased facial expressions, poses, or animations)

The users of the project would still have to have to use Daz3d and other software to export and set up their own characters for it to be of any use.

I would suspect so, though I'm not entirely clear o what would be ncluded. You could see if Daz would be interested in hosting the file(s)

• Github repo is removed, anyone can point me in the right direction?

• Github repo is removed, anyone can point me in the right direction?

It's still there. You have to have your Unreal Engine and Github account linked.

Log into your Epic Games account on the Unreal Engine website, hover over your account name in the upper right and select either Account or Personal, click Connected Accounts and connect your Github account.

The link should work after that.

• Ellessarr said:
    Ellessarr said:

i sended a pm for you

I responded to your PM.

(See Head_FWD.png below)

Remap Source Checked

(See Head_BCK.png below)

(See End.png below)

thanks!!!!

Sent you a PM

Ellessarr said:
    Ellessarr said:

i sended a pm for you

I responded to your PM.

(See Head_FWD.png below)

Remap Source Checked

(See Head_BCK.png below)

(See End.png below)

thanks!!!!

Sent you a PM

yea i saw it, thanks!!!

• I would suspect so, though I'm not entirely clear o what would be ncluded. You could see if Daz would be interested in hosting the file(s)

Thanks for the answer. I'm not 100% what would or even could be included without violating the agreement.

In the comment section for the video above there was a request for him to share the project which got me wondering if that would be possible.

• Not sure about posting this here, but here goes....

I'm using this mod for an NSFW VR project. I'm also live streaming while working on it on Picarto.tv, and can keep up to 12 archived streams.

Last week I recorded a long stream about installing this mod, finding and applying corrective morphs in UE4 animation blueprints.

It was a practice run through. I hope to do a more polished one when I have more time.

My channel name is GroupNaughtyVR. The video is labeled Practice Tutorial - UE4 Mod and Daz3d Morphs

The channel is listed as NSFW so I didn't direct link it incase there were rules about that here.

I welcome any feedback - what is good or what could be better. Post here or DM me.

Also, if this post is inappropriate or not allowed let me know and I will remove it.

Thank you.

Not sure about posting this here, but here goes....

I'm using this mod for an NSFW VR project. I'm also live streaming while working on it on Picarto.tv, and can keep up to 12 archived streams.

Last week I recorded a long stream about installing this mod, finding and applying corrective morphs in UE4 animation blueprints.

It was a practice run through. I hope to do a more polished one when I have more time.

My channel name is GroupNaughtyVR. The video is labeled Practice Tutorial - UE4 Mod and Daz3d Morphs

The channel is listed as NSFW so I didn't direct link it incase there were rules about that here.

I welcome any feedback - what is good or what could be better. Post here or DM me.

Also, if this post is inappropriate or not allowed let me know and I will remove it.

Thank you.

ok here my feedback after watch the video.

First of all i really enjoyed watch it, it was really fun and besides how to instal and add the morphs to the unreal, i also learned some "more few things" like how you worked on your "master material and instance material" was really interesting, overal good video now we need a "more complete video with the missing stepp about "updating the engine to it be complete", now the "critics/bad sides and to be clear again i liked it and it's not like i'm trying to means or anything like that it's just to help you improve the things.

ok i know which it was a "live" and problems can happen and all, but specially at start, is really importante if you have "time free" make some "preparations" i means specially having the proper knowledge about it i means before goes live make some "train" in the video, make sure you know what you gonna do before do, because a lot of times you just paused like you are thinking or remember what to do next, making it's looks like you really "paused the video" for sometime( like 1 to 3 minutes", of stop in time video, making it sometimes "boring", is really important before do something in the video make some "pre" tests and do it until you are sure you know and remember what you are doing and only pause when really needed because it was really "a little boring some of the times where suddenly everything stopped i'm feeling like watching a paused video for a brief time, for exemple before i go do my tuturials there, i first repeat the process fews times before to make sure i'm know what i'm writing, and trying to explain and speed up the process, in my case is even worse because i have to loose some time typing and also making sure my english is good enought(since i have 0 skills in making videos) i'm still before start the tutorial i repeat 1 or 2 times all the process to make sure when i start to type i will go direct to the point, it's important because it pass the othe peoples confidence from you, than just having you "spacing out" many times trying to tinking what to do next, another thing is also "keep focus" i know which the others things you talked too, where important and all but is important to keep focus and in what you are trying to pass and only go out of it enough to to get lost you can aways later near the end of the video go back and explain that "extra things" if needed. but still good to have extra info but make sure to when pass then it not distract you too much even to the point of forget what you was doing and things like that.

Another thing if you want to add that video to youtube later or turn it in a proper tutorial video would be good if you have the skills "to edit the video" and remove all the "nothing happens" moments or when you have to leave due to your phone and things like that to make the video more interesting.

overal good work and waiting for when you can make the "fullrsion(with the update step).

• MacislavMacislav Posts: 126

Can you update the mod to UE 4.24.1 as the latest UE hotfix is very important?

edited May 2022
    Ellessarr said:

First of all i really enjoyed watch it, it was really fun and besides how to instal and add the morphs to the unreal, i also learned some "more few things" like how you worked on your "master material and instance material" was really interesting, overal good video now we need a "more complete video with the missing stepp about "updating the engine to it be complete", now the "critics/bad sides and to be clear again i liked it and it's not like i'm trying to means or anything like that it's just to help you improve the things.

ok i know which it was a "live" and problems can happen and all, but specially at start, is really importante if you have "time free" make some "preparations" i means specially having the proper knowledge about it i means before goes live make some "train" in the video, make sure you know what you gonna do before do, because a lot of times you just paused like you are thinking or remember what to do next, making it's looks like you really "paused the video" for sometime( like 1 to 3 minutes", of stop in time video, making it sometimes "boring", is really important before do something in the video make some "pre" tests and do it until you are sure you know and remember what you are doing and only pause when really needed because it was really "a little boring some of the times where suddenly everything stopped i'm feeling like watching a paused video for a brief time, for exemple before i go do my tuturials there, i first repeat the process fews times before to make sure i'm know what i'm writing, and trying to explain and speed up the process, in my case is even worse because i have to loose some time typing and also making sure my english is good enought(since i have 0 skills in making videos) i'm still before start the tutorial i repeat 1 or 2 times all the process to make sure when i start to type i will go direct to the point, it's important because it pass the othe peoples confidence from you, than just having you "spacing out" many times trying to tinking what to do next, another thing is also "keep focus" i know which the others things you talked too, where important and all but is important to keep focus and in what you are trying to pass and only go out of it enough to to get lost you can aways later near the end of the video go back and explain that "extra things" if needed. but still good to have extra info but make sure to when pass then it not distract you too much even to the point of forget what you was doing and things like that.

Another thing if you want to add that video to youtube later or turn it in a proper tutorial video would be good if you have the skills "to edit the video" and remove all the "nothing happens" moments or when you have to leave due to your phone and things like that to make the video more interesting.

overal good work and waiting for when you can make the "fullrsion(with the update step).

Thanks for watching, and for your review, and advice. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had attempted doing tutorials in the past and would completely freeze up shortly after hitting record. Live streaming has been really helpful getting comfortable just talking on mic. I think with your suggestions how to polish things up a bit it will come together. My video editing skills are decent so I should be able to edit down the breaks and pauses. I also think this was too long and probably shorter segments covering each topic would be better.

I was thinking of Vimeo as a place to host videos because they seem to allow some NSFW content as long as its done in good taste.

I still haven't quite figured out the steps for updating this mod to the hot fix build. Once I do I'll put up another video.

Ellessarr said:

Thanks for watching, and for your review, and advice. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had attempted doing tutorials in the past and would completely freeze up shortly after hitting record. Live streaming has been really helpful getting comfortable just talking on mic. I think with your suggestions how to polish things up a bit it will come together. My video editing skills are decent so I should be able to edit down the breaks and pauses. I also think this was too long and probably shorter segments covering each topic would be better.

I was thinking of Vimeo as a place to host videos because they seem to allow some NSFW content as long as its done in good taste.

I still haven't quite figured out the steps for updating this mod to the hot fix build. Once I do I'll put up another video.

Darren

well to be fair at last for me "being short or long" is not a big deal as a told as long that frozen in time" moments don't happen so often as it happened in the video, make sure you are recording in a moment you really have free time to record and only really a emergency or something like that could make you stop and also as i told before start to record to be sure you not gonna be lost or having doubts make the whole process offline then when you feel you are ready start to record it will make things more fast and naturally will make the video goes short since you not gonna have that many pauses, which was for me big part of what make the video long and a feel boring, as i told is important keep the focus and keep talking to make sure peoples will feel engaged in the moments anyone feel you are taking too much time to do anything or start to go too much out of the topic for a long time then this is when peoples can start to feel "less" engaged.

keep the good work.

• I spent this week trying to figure out cloning, forking, merging, comparing, cherrypicking, downloading, building, and/or upgrading this mod to the latest UE4 build but I feel I am still not getting it. Using Github Desktop I can clone a repository of this 4.24-mod and using Visual Studios get it to build but am not able to merge it with the upstream release build due to errors about experimental plugins causing conflicts.  I deleted/removed everything and tried cloning a repository of the Unreal Engine release branch. Then I was able to build 4.24.2 using Visual Studios but can't find a way to cherrypick or merge this mod into it.

I have read though every post on this thread several times, there is a lot of useful information here, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive way to update as UE4 gets updated.

If I find a solution I will be sure to add it here but so far I am striking out. Anyone have a good solution out there?

edited February 2020

I got it. Updated from 4.24-mod to 4.24.2 with mod. Here is what worked for me.

Go directly to the AlienRenders Unreal Engine Github page

https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git

Note: If the link above results in a 404 error make sure you are logged into github and you have followed these steps: Unreal Engine - Github account https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/ue4-on-github

Once there click on Fork to Fork a copy Unreal Engine to your account.

Using Github Desktop https://desktop.github.com/

Click File and then choose Clone a repository.

With the Github.com tab selected you should see the Unreal Engine fork in "Your repositories"

Set the Local Path (Where you want the Engine to be installed)

Then click Clone - This will start cloning Unreal Engine to your computer.

Once finished change Current Branch from release to origin/4.24-mod (Or current latest mod)

The next step is to tell the Github desktop to look at the Epic Games Unreal Engine github for updates

Click on the Repository tab and then Open in Command Prompt

Type:

git remote -v

Hit enter - you should see:

origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (fetch)origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (push)upstream https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git (fetch)upstream https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git (push)

This shows you where your repository and its upstream is located at github

Type:

git remote rm upstream

hit enter - you should see

origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (fetch)origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (push)

now type:

git remote add upstream https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine

This will point Github Desktop to use EpicGames UnrealEngine for further updates!  YAY!

Now if you type:

git remote -v

and hit enter you should see

origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (fetch)origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (push)upstream https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git (fetch)upstream https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git (push)

Super YAY!

Type:

git fetch upstream

when finished click the Branch tab then "Compare to branch"

Choose upstream/release - this will likely show you many changes behind and possibly 2 ahead (the two modified commits for this mod)

At the bottom click Merge into 4.24-mod (Or current latest mod)

Then click Push origin (to the right of Current branch tab)

You are now ready to build the Engine from source

Go to the folder you set as the Local Path earlier (where the Engine was installed)

If you have Visual Studios 2017 or 2019 already installed:

double click to run Setup.bat

then double click to run GenerateProjectFiles.bat

then double click on UE4.sln

In Visual studios set you solution configuration to "Development Editor" and your solution platform to Win64.

In the solution explorer on the right - right click on UE4 and select Build

This will take a while.

Once this is finished Right click on UE4 again and Set as StartUp project

Right click UE4 again, mouse over debug and select Start New Instance

Once open you can create a New Project or create a new one.

If you can't see your existing project click more, selecting your existing project should cause the engine to prompt that your project was created by another version and suggest that you open your project as a copy.

Do that.

Note: I found that when you close and reopen Github Desktop you may get an "Upstream Already Exists" warning - you can click Ignore

Note 2: I kludged this together over a week of trial and error, it works.  But... if there is an easier way, if I have made any errors, missed anything, or need to be more clear about any part please let me know. I will adjust this post as needed.

Note 3: Swarm failed to kick off error when building lighting.
    If you get this error when trying to build lighting close your project (not sure this is necessary but seems like a good idea)
    Open the UE4.sln project file in Visual Studios.  Instead of building UE4 scroll down to UnrealLightmass right click and choose build.
    Reopen your project and you should now be able to build lighting.

I got it. Updated from 4.24-mod to 4.24.2 with mod. Here is what worked for me.

Go directly to the AlienRenders Unreal Engine Github page

https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git

Note: If the link above results in a 404 error make sure you are logged into github and you have followed these steps: Unreal Engine - Github account https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/ue4-on-github

Once there click on Fork to Fork a copy Unreal Engine to your account.

Using Github Desktop https://desktop.github.com/

Click File and then choose Clone a repository.

With the Github.com tab selected you should see the Unreal Engine fork in "Your repositories"

Set the Local Path (Where you want the Engine to be installed)

Then click Clone - This will start cloning Unreal Engine to your computer.

Once finished change Current Branch from release to origin/4.24-mod (Or current latest mod)

The next step is to tell the Github desktop to look at the Epic Games Unreal Engine github for updates

Click on the Repository tab and then Open in Command Prompt

Type:

git remote -v

Hit enter - you should see:

origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (fetch)origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (push)upstream https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git (fetch)upstream https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git (push)

This shows you where your repository and its upstream is located at github

Type:

git remote rm upstream

hit enter - you should see

origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (fetch)origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (push)

now type:

git remote add upstream https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine

This will point Github Desktop to use EpicGames UnrealEngine for further updates!  YAY!

Now if you type:

git remote -v

and hit enter you should see

origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (fetch)origin https://github.com/'yourgithubname'/UnrealEngine (push)upstream https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git (fetch)upstream https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git (push)

Super YAY!

Type:

git fetch upstream

when finished click the Branch tab then "Compare to branch"

Choose upstream/release - this will likely show you many changes behind and possibly 2 ahead (the two modified commits for this mod)

At the bottom click Merge into 4.24-mod (Or current latest mod)

Then click Push origin (to the right of Current branch tab)

You are now ready to build the Engine from source

Go to the folder you set as the Local Path earlier (where the Engine was installed)

If you have Visual Studios 2017 or 2019 already installed:

double click to run Setup.bat

then double click to run GenerateProjectFiles.bat

then double click on UE4.sln

In Visual studios set you solution configuration to "Development Editor" and your solution platform to Win64.

In the solution explorer on the right - right click on UE4 and select Build

This will take a while.

Once this is finished Right click on UE4 again and Set as StartUp project

Right click UE4 again, mouse over debug and select Start New Instance

Once open you can create a New Project or create a new one.

If you can't see your existing project click more, selecting your existing project should cause the engine to prompt that your project was created by another version and suggest that you open your project as a copy.

Do that.

Note: I found that when you close and reopen Github Desktop you may get an "Upstream Already Exists" warning - you can click Ignore

Note 2: I kludged this together over a week of trial and error, it works.  But... if there is an easier way, if I have made any errors, missed anything, or need to be more clear about any part please let me know. I will adjust this post as needed.

Note 3: Swarm failed to kick off error when building lighting.
    If you get this error when trying to build lighting close your project (not sure this is necessary but seems like a good idea)
    Open the UE4.sln project file in Visual Studios.  Instead of building UE4 scroll down to UnrealLightmass right click and choose build.
    Reopen your project and you should now be able to build lighting.

wow very cool, now would be good if you could try to make a "video tutorial about it, it would be much better and easy to follow, but still good news, because the only real problem so far is really "updating" the engine while using the program.

• Ellessarr said:

wow very cool, now would be good if you could try to make a "video tutorial about it, it would be much better and easy to follow, but still good news, because the only real problem so far is really "updating" the engine while using the program.

Thank you. 4.24.0 caused a few issues with my project so I was really motivated to find a solution. If it turns out that there aren't any issues with the tutorial I wrote above I will make a video tutorial. I wanted to run the steps by those that had more experience than me to make sure I was doing it correctly and those with less experience to see if I was explaining things simply enough before taking it further.

•  

Macislav said:

Yes, it's in this file:
    Engine/Source/Editor/UnrealEd/Private/Factories/SkeletalMeshImport.cpp

--> const float MINWEIGHT = 0.01f

I had the issue with 0.001f as well, but 0.005f works perfectly.

FYI - in 4.24.2 it looks like this has been moved to:

Engine\Source\Developer\SkeletalMeshUtilitiesCommon\Private\LODUtilities.cpp

The ProcessImportMeshInfluences method in SkeletalMeshImport.cpp now calls a function in that file, and there's a minimum weight constant in there.