Is there any version of Bryce that will run on OSX 10.11.6?

I haven't used Bryce in years but I have a neeed for it now. The Bryce 7 that I had previously installed would crash anytime I opened the terrain editor, I uninstalled that and installed Bryce 6.3 but that crashes as soon as I try to enter the serial number. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I am sorry - but it doesn't look like it:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19948/

one person wrote:

The only answer is : use bootcamp or parallels , install old version of Mac OS . That's it .

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/361939/#Comment_361939

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

I fear both Bryce and Carrara will eventually become incompatible with Windows too, Carrara is also showing incompatibility with Catalina.

DAZ is only actively updating DAZ studio and Hexagon.

Keeping older machines offline may well be the only answer in the end.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949
    Kerya said:
    one person wrote:

The only answer is : use bootcamp or parallels , install old version of Mac OS . That's it .

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/361939/#Comment_361939

_ and use bootcamp or parallels , install  Windows _

• I was hoping that Bryce 6 might still work even though Bryce 7 wouldn't, alas. Time to go dig out the old windows laptop.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited March 2020

Bryce 6 might still work even though Bryce 7 wouldn't

I doubt. I think that Bryce 6 was released when Mac still used IBM cpu and not Intel. There was support of launching pre-Intel mac era apps for some time in modern mac os, but eventually it was disabled, as far as i know.

This is one of main things that i dislike with Apple. It's awful backwards compability. While with Windows it's very often you have chances, say, launching win98 era app in win10 (though sometimes even on windows you have to use virtual machines etc. - i know plenty of apps that only work in winxp and earlier).

Post edited by akmerlow on

there is another product by the creator of Bryce I cannot discus here because it is commercial devil

but it is awesome looking enough I wish I had a Mac and even looked into prices before deciding I simply could not afford one.

This one program which is like Bryce on steroids was the trigger along with Garage band and Final cut pro that almost converted me!

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

there is another product by the creator of Bryce I cannot discus here

It is already being discussed and mentioned...  Some here even use it - Dan Whiteside, i think.

akmerlow said:

It is already being discussed and mentioned...  Some here even use it - Dan Whiteside, i think.

LOL I cannot even use Artmatic Voyager so never tried it just seen the awesome videos by people like Arthur Stammit on Youtube yet I still get modded mentioning it cheeky I would love to try it as I said and wish I could afford a Mac which is the first step ...

dunno how I can actually be accused of pushing a program I never used, hell I would love Cinema 4D,3DStudio Max, Maya and countless other softwares beyond my means nobody gets modded for mentioning too!

and ironically I will be modded for posting this post as the act of mentioning moderator actions is very moddable

I cannot win, I just look extremely stupid on this forum as the evidence is always removed

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    akmerlow said:

LOL I cannot even use Artmatic Voyager so never tried it just seen the awesome videos by people like Arthur Stammit on Youtube yet I still get modded mentioning it cheeky I would love to try it as I said and wish I could afford a Mac which is the first step ...

dunno how I can actually be accused of pushing a program I never used, hell I would love Cinema 4D,3DStudio Max, Maya and countless other softwares beyond my means nobody gets modded for mentioning too!

and ironically I will be modded for posting this post as the act of mentioning moderator actions is very moddable

I cannot win, I just look extremely stupid on this forum as the evidence is always removed

Yes as mentioning the removed post will then prompt people to ask about said post, thus likely repeating the issue. It is best to not make any comment on the removal when a post has been removed. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

It's not waht you say it's the way that you say it. 

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799

Apologies for getting into moderation issues, but is mentioning a specific third-party product likely to get you moderated? I understand that linking/referring to websites with an erotic focus (you know which one I mean), and linking to sites that host pirated content will get your post taken down -- which seems fair enough to me -- but my understanding was that it was OK to refer to other popular products and even competitors, provided you do DAZ the courtesy of not posting overt advertisements on their website. Was I wrong about this?

With respect to the Bryce-like product by the creator of Bryce whose name I won't mention out of an abundance of caution, be aware that it has its own potential compatibility issues: the current version is 32-bit (so it won't run on OS X Catalina) and the creator has not committed to developing a 64-bit version.

Getting back to the original question, as others have said, an emulator like Parallels may be your best bet. I've found that Bryce runs very well on a Mac running Windows under Parallels, with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 (there are some mouse tracking issues, but otherwise everything works well). The only catch is that if you don't already have Parallels + Windows, you'll end up forking out a fair bit of cash just to be able to run Bryce. Bootcamp should also be a viable (and slightly cheaper) alternative, although the catch is that you need to reboot to switch OS's; with Parallels, you can run the software, as the name suggests, 'in parallel'.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2020

Apologies for getting into moderation issues, but is mentioning a specific third-party product likely to get you moderated?

It's not 3rd party items,  It's Off site Commercial Items. It is in the Forum ToS,  and also their is a Sticky THread in the Commercial Oroducts Forum

The answer is simply that an unsolicited mention or link will be removed,  if the mention is is response to a genuine query it will be left. If the Mods deem that someone is shilling for an off site vendor, that will also be removed, both the query and the response.

Post edited by Chohole on