G2, G3, G8, Determining the figure type

Hello, I am finalizing an animation exporter plugin, but it won't work very well with Genesis 8 because it requires a T-pose and G8 presents an A-pose. So, I'd like to check the figure type to at least warn the user about it.

I can check the bones names but my understanding is that Genesis 3 shares the same bones names with G8 and I have no issues exporting animations with G3. An alternative would be to check the skeleton name, but that would require maintaining a list of "viable" skeletons and would that be reliable? The most conservative solution would be to check the bones names (and then exclude or warn about G3) but I prefer ask first if there is a better solution smiley

TIA

Comments

• Answering my own question: G3 has 2 joints named lHeel and rHeel that you can't find on G8. It's probably not the best way to address this issue, if I could determine if the figure is in A-pose it might be better, but it will do for now.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,061
    edited August 2020

I don't do much scripting, but I think if you get the figure's asset data path, you can search for one of these substrings:
    "Genesis 2 Male"
    "Genesis 2 Female"
    "Genesis 3 Male"
    "Genesis 3 Female"
    "Genesis 8 Male"
    "Genesis 8 Female"

And I think figures in their rest pose have all of their rotations set to zero if you need to check for that condition.

But, now that I think about it, you shouldn't have to force the user to do this, as you can do it yourself.  I think you can either save the current frame, or set to a new frame outside the current range, and set the figure to zero pose, do what you have to do, and then restore the figure back to its original pose.

Post edited by Seven193 on