Smoothing

Me again with another problem.

I made a house with nice sqaure windows and I have no smoothing on the house, I export it, then import into Daz everything is smoothed and my sqaure windows are now round.

I am exporting as a wavefront (obj).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help!

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited September 2020

Are you actuall mistaking phong shading for geometry smoothing?

Post edited by Ascania on
  • If you select the model obj and then click on surfaces tab,  you can manually reduce the smoothing angle to address that. Try a number value in the 20's.

smoothingangle23.jpg
    726 x 243 - 34K
  • Or add some more tessellation lines in Hexagon to hold the edges ;-) You can see what will happen by applying smoothing [and then undo that].

• When I was making the model I was clicking on smooth to see how it would look smoothed, then if I didn't like it I would turn off the smoothing.

Even though I turned off smoothing in Hexagon before exporting, it would still smooth it in Daz and my windows became round. So as long as I smooth just the objects that I know I want smoothed and leave the others alone, it looks just fine when in Daz. My windows stay sqaure.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Can't replicate.

• When I was making the model I was clicking on smooth to see how it would look smoothed, then if I didn't like it I would turn off the smoothing.

Even though I turned off smoothing in Hexagon before exporting, it would still smooth it in Daz and my windows became round. So as long as I smooth just the objects that I know I want smoothed and leave the others alone, it looks just fine when in Daz. My windows stay sqaure.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Well I worked with the idea that if I didn't like how something looked with smoothing on, then turn off smoothing and add some tessellation lines. Test with smoothing again ... repeating process until I did like how it looked with smoothing on. Because then it doesn't matter which program it ends up in, hopefully the model will look as intended by design. For a square window that's basically select all lines and draw in one tessellation. The corners may or not require a loop around them as well.

However yes you can certainly turn off smoothing in D/S and as long as you're happy with the appearance, all is well ;-)

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited September 2020

No idea what you've done with the windows (a screen grab would help) but here's a little trick you can do with Hexagon to see how Smoothing (and other tools) works. 

Edit to add - Like Catherine367ab I still use the trial and error method.

clone.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Mesh SubD and mesh smoothing/creasing can take some getting used to.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,195
    edited November 2020

I was going to ask if there are two kinds of smoothing in Hexagon - one in Vertex Modelling which appears to have a plus and minus sort of control, and another in Surface Modelling?

Next thing I knew my hand appeared to slip on the touchpad on my computer while I was making a cube and I made two cubes. Ok, but I noticed there was a "Shape0" in the list in addition to "Form0" and "Form1" (the cubes)... I thought I could see something in the view pane and when I zoomed in (and tilted the view a bit) there was a tiny DISC SHAPE of some sort. Huh? Never seen anything like that before and I have no idea how it got there. Example: a Youtube tutorial says that to make a disc shape you should create a cylinder in Daz Studio and then delete the sides and bottom with the Geometry Editor. Result = a disc shape.

For what it's worth I added some smoothing in Vertex Modelling and then tugged on a couple of edges (edges were still accessible to me)... oooh, organic looking disc!

weird-circular-'shape'.jpg
    1070 x 716 - 166K
    organic-looking-smoothing.jpg
    1070 x 720 - 184K
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on
    Roman_K2 said:

I was going to ask if there are two kinds of smoothing in Hexagon - one in Vertex Modelling which appears to have a plus and minus sort of control, and another in Surface Modelling?

Yes. And no. You can select different smoothing algorithms there as well as harden edges. But it can interfere a bit with further modelling on the particular mesh and lead to some unpredictable results.

Roman_K2 said:

Next thing I knew my hand appeared to slip on the touchpad on my computer while I was making a cube and I made two cubes.

Hold down CRTL and then click-and-drag on your selected object to create a copy.

Roman_K2 said:

Ok, but I noticed there was a "Shape0" in the list in addition to "Form0" and "Form1" (the cubes)... I thought I could see something in the view pane and when I zoomed in (and tilted the view a bit) there was a tiny DISC SHAPE of some sort. Huh? Never seen anything like that before and I have no idea how it got there. Example: a Youtube tutorial says that to make a disc shape you should create a cylinder in Daz Studio and then delete the sides and bottom with the Geometry Editor. Result = a disc shape.

For what it's worth I added some smoothing in Vertex Modelling and then tugged on a couple of edges (edges were still accessible to me)... oooh, organic looking disc!

It works but it is not quite as controllable as the cylinder or the circle methods.

Thanks for this. I just had what may be for me a "Eureka!" sort of moment. I was able to thicken a simple circular shape derived from a cylinder, to create a three-dimensional sans serif letter "C". And I cut a section away and capped the cutting with nice bevels, and distressing the sections a bit (into a sort of "field hockey stick" shape was easy as pie. Yay!

basic-disc-or-ring-shape.jpg
    1031 x 710 - 140K
    eureka-moment.jpg
    1321 x 988 - 247K
    field-hockey-stick.jpg
    1321 x 988 - 256K
  • Nice when a plan comes together. It's these little leaps keep you going in the 3D world :)

edited December 2020

I experienced something the other day that is in some ways similar to what you wrote about "if you are making pants and it is a memory problem" then you only need the lower body to make pants.

That huge Chateau Blanche castle by Larsen (now deprecated/vanished) has been consistently too big for me to render. However any one of the towers renders fine by itself piecemeal, like if I am making a "Rapunzel" picture say, or if I want to add a turret to some other building or scene.

Another thing a person could do is look down on the model in Top view in Daz Studio, and with the Geometry Editor selection tool set to "marquee" mode you can slice the back off of it, lengthwise... the side or half that will be facing away from the camera.
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on

Heh heh. First time smoothing an object "just so much" in Hexagon ― ergo the pennant/flag at the top ― and then sending it over to D|S.

https://www.stickydoggy.com/images/tower4-castle-dec-2020.jpg

• Nice. Now try and make your own castle