Has anyone gotten Blender hair into Unreal?

Alright, I know Blender seems to weasle its way into every forum on here, but hear me out. Most hair in Daz doesn't look good in Unreal because of how it handles alpha. So the free solution is to bring the character into Blender, groom some hair, then bring the character from Daz > Unreal and the hair from Blender > Unreal using Alembic. But I'm not finding much info on doing that. Seems everyone is mostly using Maya XGen to do this. Just wondering if someone out there has a good workflow.

Thanks.

Comments

• the5amkebabthe5amkebab Posts: 103
    edited September 2020

This has worked for me after I got the Daz character into Blender using the diffeomorphic plug in but like you say, the hair doesn't look good, but at least this method works getting blender content into Unreal. I'm now up to trying to follow the rigify and animating part so I can't say how the rest goes, Unreal is very new to me. There's plenty of youtube vids about making unreal ready hair in blender so I think that's what needs to be done then using this method below to get the hair into unreal.

Post edited by the5amkebab on
  • I just watched this irritating video

was thinking since it is curves strandbased hair should be possible too

and maybe Zbrush, Carrara and Poser hair if exported to Blender, must try

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

I just watched this irritating video

was thinking since it is curves strandbased hair should be possible too

and maybe Zbrush, Carrara and Poser hair if exported to Blender, must try

it's depend on if strand based is a "DAZ only tech" like Dforce hair, if not a daz only then it can be exported, it gonna be just normally a insane poly count if it's a daz only feature then i think it not gonna work unless someone release a "pluging to unreal which allow it to accept the strand (basically add the strand system to unrela).

• I got one in and it worked but looked dreadfull blush and crashed Unreal trying to play in standalone game angry

but I could not open my project afterwards without it crashing until I deleted it from content

you can turn any mesh to curves in Blender but how the result looks is another matter

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited September 2020

even geometry hairs can be made into curves

this is SAV's Alphani hair

is springy as loops back to scalp, is like a dish scourer

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited September 2020

Style Marshal an iClone user made some lovely C4D grooms

I tested but also crash if left in the editor

(can leave in content but not in scene)

my grooms are crap

• Style Marshal an iClone user made some lovely C4D grooms

my grooms are crap

did you import zbrush fibermesh hair into unreal?

Style Marshal an iClone user made some lovely C4D grooms

my grooms are crap

did you import zbrush fibermesh hair into unreal?

no I have had no luck with any hair but the examples by Style Marshal as I said

my one Blender one was awful like I said

• I sugest look at 'EVE Online' game human old models (from Headquarters). Have on web, youtube, etc... And pay atention in that hair. I think we can work in a diferente way about hair, like, less poly's, a diferent bone system, more textures and effects... think about. In a near future, i ll start test something i have in my mind. Will see. But this ll be my inspiration. 

• videoninja719videoninja719 Posts: 343
    edited October 2020

for unreal, theres a supposedly a hair plugin, ornatrix for unreal engine being developed. theres a video at yotube. if this turns out to be true than theres no need for blender hair to export. 

Post edited by videoninja719 on
    edited November 2020

I am having another go at this and my grooms import at wildly different scales

all too thick some crazy explody spings others seem ok but look like wool

if I export as obj mesh to DAZ studio it looks like this

Unreal Alembic all bloby that one has bouncy reasonable Niagara physics but because of its geometry it is like a blamange

others go like this

no rhyme or reason

GoodOboyHair.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 850K
    Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 229K
    Capture2.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 217K
  • video of blamange hair on manequin