Quad Police - modeling in general - not just Hexagon

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited October 2020 in Hexagon Discussion

Are the quad police still a thing?

In creating rounded edges of objects, it is common to use a bevel tool.  Beveling all the edges of a cube at the same time can create a triangle at a corner.  Game engines, Daz Studio, etc. can render tris so not necessarily an issue.  However, back in the day, the quad police (everything must be a 4 sided polygon) were as bad as the grammar police.  Are the quad police still a thing?  Should I take extra steps to make sure my models are all quads?  Or, can I relax if there are a few tris at corners, etc. as long as the shape of the model is what I want under smoothing?   

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited October 2020
    Diomede said:

Are the quad police still a thing?

In creating rounded edges of objects, it is common to use a bevel tool.  Beveling all the edges of a cube at the same time can create a triangle at a corner.  Game engines, Daz Studio, etc. can render tris so not necessarily an issue.  However, back in the day, the quad police (everything must be a 4 sided polygon) were as bad as the grammar police.  Are the quad police still a thing?  Should I take extra steps to make sure my models are all quads?  Or, can I relax if there are a few tris at corners, etc. as long as the shape of the model is what I want under smoothing?   

Worry more about n-gons. And don't bevel/chamfer edges if you are going to smooth a mesh anyway.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on