DzCustomMDLBrick creation

In 4.8.0.3, the shader mixer got support for auto creating a custom MDL brick. Is this functionality accesible via scripting?

getAutoAddParameter() works great to connect parameters between bricks, but I've got to get the parameters in the first brick first. I can use loadMDLModule() to read a module in and get a DzIrayMDLModule containing the DzMDLDefinition(s), but I cannot find a way to autopopulate DzCustomMDLBrick.

Do I have to manually create the parameters at this point?

Comments

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 360
    edited October 2020

What I have so far is

var sTestMDLFile = "/nvidia/vMaterials/AEC/Drywall/Textured.mdl";// Create Custom MDL Brickvar oCustomMDLBrick = new DzCustomMDLBrick();// Load MDL modulevar oIrayMDLModule = oCustomMDLBrick.loadMDLModule ("${shader}" + sTestMDLFile); // Get first material defined in modulevar aMDLDefinitions = oIrayMDLModule.getMDLDefinitions (oIrayMDLModule.getModuleMaterialsList());var oMDLDefinition = aMDLDefinitions[0];// What do I do with oMDLDefinition now?// Create a materialvar oBrickMat = new DzBrickMaterial();oBrickMat.addBrick (oCustomMDLBrick);// Apply it!oBrickMat.applyToScene();

If I drop an MDL file in the Shader Mixer, I get this

but from the code so far, I can only get this

What is the missing step here?

DragNDrop_sm.png
    1046 x 834 - 17K
    Created_sm.png
    1046 x 834 - 14K
    Post edited by Omniflux on
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 240

Short answer: I don't have a clue.

But...

var oBrick = new DzCustomMDLBrick();print( Object.keys( oBrick ).join( '\n' ) );//// This lists useful-looking things like://  getNumParameters()//  getParameter(int)//  beginEdit()//  finishEdit()//  addIntParameter(QString,QString,QString,QString,int)//  addCustomIntParameter(DzPropertyParam*,QString,QString,QString,QString,int)//  addOutParameter(int,QString,QString,bool)//  addCustomOutParameter(DzOutParam*,int,QString,QString,bool)//  ...etc. (about 200 functions that appear to be Brick-related)// At present this oBrick has just the default DzOutParam, as per your screen dump:print( ' ' );print( '---Parameters---' );print( oBrick.getNumParameters() );             // 1var oParam = oBrick.getParameter(0);print( oParam.className() );                    // DzOutParamprint( Object.keys( oParam ).join( '\n' ) );

Hope this helps.

P.

Unfortunately, I think the shader area is undocumented because it is incomplete. I've found several instances of

TypeError: ambiguous call of overloaded function setType(); candidates were setType(ParamType) setType(int)

or 

TypeError: cannot call type(): unknown return type `DzBrickSet::ShaderType' (register the type with qScriptRegisterMetaType())

edited October 2020
    Omniflux said:

Unfortunately, I think the shader area is undocumented because it is incomplete...

Yeah... Scripting in DAZ Studio reminds me often of playing Zork in the 1980s smiley

Post edited by Praxis on

So.... I opened a support ticket and then quickly figured it out.

On the DzCustomMDLBrick you just need to set the value on getMDLCallableControl()

Omniflux said:

On the DzCustomMDLBrick you just need to set the value on getMDLCallableControl()

Good to know - Thanks.