Unreal Engine for making Movie/Animations?

wintoonswintoons Posts: 371
edited October 2020 in Unreal Discussion

Hi, 

I am new to the Unreal Engine, and I'm really interested in learning what it can and can't do. 
What I would love to know is it good to make just animations/movies? Or is it really for Gaming? 

Sorry, if I am asking a silly question on here. 

Post edited by wintoons on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

it is indeed used by professional studios to make movies as well as games

and yes it has a cinematic sequencer

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    wintoons said:

Hi, 

I am new to the Unreal Engine, and I'm really interested in learning what it can and can't do. 
    What I would love to know is it good to make just animations/movies? Or is it really for Gaming? 

mandalorian serie is being made using unreal engine as the 3d program, you can make moves and animations without any issue with unreal, infact you can even animate all inside unreal without need a "third part" program, or can use one of the unreal build inside bridges to maya or blender to animate in real time inside then and update inside unreal, or just animate all inside unreal.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371
    Ellessarr said:
    wintoons said:

Hi, 

mandalorian serie is being made using unreal engine as the 3d program, you can make moves and animations without any issue with unreal, infact you can even animate all inside unreal without need a "third part" program, or can use one of the unreal build inside bridges to maya or blender to animate in real time inside then and update inside unreal, or just animate all inside unreal.

That's really interesting. I've been wanting to work on my animation series on a different platform for better performance and experience. And also use the assets I've bought on Daz3d. 

• Here's an example https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/spotlights/animated-children-s-series-zafari-springs-to-life-with-unreal-engine

Unreal is getting close to where you can do the animation in their Editor, I don't think they're there yet.  I think most teams still create animations in another program like Maya though.  However, there are lots of ways to minimize the animation effort in Unreal.  You can also combine animations from a library in sequencer to create scenes.  One time saving trick I like is you can setup a character with a 2D blendspace so that they walk or run according to their velocity.  Then just keying a couple positions in sequencer will cause them to animate their walk cycle automatically as they travel.

• superlativecgsuperlativecg Posts: 125
    edited November 2020

Unreal is great.  You can even create special effects using Niagra, their particle effects editor, without external software like Adobe After Effects.  I am still trying to learn to create effects in Unreal.  I espeically like being able to do real time ray tracing and global illumination and the real time cloth simulations 

Post edited by superlativecg on

That's great news to hear from everyone!

Another question to ask, when importing your character into Unreal, is animating characters inside Unreal easy to use like DazStudio, or is more complex? 

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    wintoons said:

Another question to ask, when importing your character into Unreal, is animating characters inside Unreal easy to use like DazStudio, or is more complex? 

what exactly you means by "easy"?, if it's about "animate" then i would say if you know how to animate in maya or blender then is almost the same which at first would be complicated then after learn a little become more easy, don't forget to use th epluging control rig

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/control-rig-mannequin

it's free and if you proper learn how to setup it then become easy to animate as the same as animate in maya or blender, here a tutorial for control rig.

if you are talking about the "blue prints and codes" then indeed is much more complex than daz, because you have much more options and controls, you have to learn a little about blue prints and how to setup stuffs here a exemple:

Ellessarr said:
    wintoons said:

what exactly you means by "easy"?, if it's about "animate" then i would say if you know how to animate in maya or blender then is almost the same which at first would be complicated then after learn a little become more easy, don't forget to use th epluging control rig

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/control-rig-mannequin

it's free and if you proper learn how to setup it then become easy to animate as the same as animate in maya or blender, here a tutorial for control rig.

if you are talking about the "blue prints and codes" then indeed is much more complex than daz, because you have much more options and controls, you have to learn a little about blue prints and how to setup stuffs here a exemple:

Ok cool thanks :)

• edited November 2020
    Unreal01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 372K
    Unreal02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 402K
    Post edited by tnehsdl78_33c8082c4c on
  • edited December 2020

I am 3d animator and visual effect artist. I worked near 4 years for Maya. And now i am using UE and i am absolutely happy for that. I was really bored render times for 1 frame - 1 minutes. Without any effects or simulations.. Just characters, some basic environment and lights. I spend hours / sometimes weeks for 3 min animation. This was really hard.

Now i can get high quality Raytraced results and all effects with UE realtime render system. This is really useful. And fast. Daz - Maya - UE4.26 and movie/animation ! 

Here an example from me 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14SY1cFSL_M

Post edited by moreffector_3290526 on

moreffector said:

I am 3d animator and visual effect artist. I worked near 4 years for Maya. And now i am using UE and i am absolutely happy for that. I was really bored render times for 1 frame - 1 minutes. Without any effects or simulations.. Just characters, some basic environment and lights. I spend hours / sometimes weeks for 3 min animation. This was really hard.

Now i can get high quality Raytraced results and all effects with UE realtime render system. This is really useful. And fast. Daz - Maya - UE4.26 and movie/animation ! 

Here an example from me 

That's really cool and funny! Good job! 
    Thanks for the info. I'm definelately going to look into it. I would like something which is alot quicker to work with. Especially for my Youtube Web Series which I'm working on ATM. 
    La Femme Criminelle - YouTube

• Oh man your movies very good. But clearly YOU HAVE TO LEARN Unreal Engine :))

Omg you spend lots of hours for a little scene. Daz and IRAY. Iray is not very fast engine. I was using Maya and Vray. Its better but still i was must wait for hours.. But for animation dynamics and reality, you can use Maya. Big advice from me to you :)

Use Unreal Engine for that, man. Just try tutorials and start. Import Daz characters with plugin, export animated FBX files as normal export, import all of them into unreal engine. You can progress step by step. Search on youtube, a little effort you propably need.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

wintoons said:

moreffector said:

Here an example from me 

Thanks for the info. I'm definelately going to look into it. I would like something which is alot quicker to work with. Especially for my Youtube Web Series which I'm working on ATM. 

LOL, the lady crook that tied up the jeweler guy looks like Jackie O! I really liked your background music and I liked the scene 7 I watched. I will watch more.

• LOL you friends with Mark Lee who does DAZ giantess crush and vore animations too?wink

moreffector said:

Oh man your movies very good. But clearly YOU HAVE TO LEARN Unreal Engine :))

Omg you spend lots of hours for a little scene. Daz and IRAY. Iray is not very fast engine. I was using Maya and Vray. Its better but still i was must wait for hours.. But for animation dynamics and reality, you can use Maya. Big advice from me to you :)

Use Unreal Engine for that, man. Just try tutorials and start. Import Daz characters with plugin, export animated FBX files as normal export, import all of them into unreal engine. You can progress step by step. Search on youtube, a little effort you propably need.

Thanks!!  :)

Yeah I will take your advice for sure. Just downloaded Unreal 4.26 and will play around with it. Just want to speed up the process instead of waiting for the rendering to be completed for each scene. 
    And yeah I saw your video too. Pretty funny! lol  

nonesuch00 said:

wintoons said:

moreffector said:

Here an example from me 

LOL, the lady crook that tied up the jeweler guy looks like Jackie O! I really liked your background music and I liked the scene 7 I watched. I will watch more.

Thanks Nonsuchoo! 

LOL yeah your right she does look abit like Jackie O. :)) 
    Glad you like my series. ;)

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

LOL you friends with Mark Lee who does DAZ giantess crush and vore animations too?wink

Haha :) I know him but we are not friends so we didn't contact before :)

• This is the closet thread to any answer I've been looking for and you folks seem to know your stuff... so...

Trying to do some short movie animation in UE with daz characters. Setting up the control rig for leg/arm IK, it seems the twist bones are breaking things. Tried using virtual bones and that didn't work. Went through and deleted the twist bones before importing to UE and that just broke things also. Any tips on what I'm either doing wrong or not doing at all? Using Blender/Daz/UE.