So Glad Bryce is Hanging in There

I love that this community is still here.  I started with Bryce back with version 4 and belonged to 3DCommune.  Anyone remember that?  Bryce was affordable, easy to learn and you could get some lovely renders out of it.  As other software came out artists left for them...Terragen, Carrara, Vue.  I went to Vue 6 Infinite but I never got very good with it even after taking online lessons through LVS. More than a decade later I'm picking up Bryce again and falling in love with it all over again.

So I reached out to a popular webinar company to see about a community image sharing webinar with a talented artist creating a simple picture for us.  He got back to me and stated reasons why it wouldn't work for him monetary wise.  Daz 3D would most likely not be interested in selling the video, Bryce is not being developed anymore and Bryce users will drop off as we fade away (my words).

I'm just wondering if the Bryce users here will continue to use Bryce for years to come or if it will be abandoned  within a few years.  At moment I see myself using it for as long as my computers will run it.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    NGartplay said:

I love that this community is still here.  I started with Bryce back with version 4 and belonged to 3DCommune.  Anyone remember that?  Bryce was affordable, easy to learn and you could get some lovely renders out of it.  As other software came out artists left for them...Terragen, Carrara, Vue.  I went to Vue 6 Infinite but I never got very good with it even after taking online lessons through LVS. More than a decade later I'm picking up Bryce again and falling in love with it all over again.

So I reached out to a popular webinar company to see about a community image sharing webinar with a talented artist creating a simple picture for us.  He got back to me and stated reasons why it wouldn't work for him monetary wise.  Daz 3D would most likely not be interested in selling the video, Bryce is not being developed anymore and Bryce users will drop off as we fade away (my words).

I'm just wondering if the Bryce users here will continue to use Bryce for years to come or if it will be abandoned  within a few years.  At moment I see myself using it for as long as my computers will run it.

I see myself using it for as long as my computers will run it..  I have used it ever since they released the first stable windws version, back in  1997.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,794

Wowsers Chohole!  You must be a total pro with it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

well I would say check my gallery,  but of course they aren't working at the moment.

I will check them for sure once they're up and running.  I'm going to check everyone's :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

I started with Bryce 5.5 used it for a few months then stopped. Only after getting this latest version and watching David’s and Horo’s videos I’m hooked on this awesome program. Besides a bit of Wings 3D, Bryce is the only 3D program I use. Bryce is so versatile and fun to use, and I’m still learning. I only upload a very small percentage of my work in the Gallery here, most of my artwork I upload to Pinterest. I will continue to use it till my health decides otherwise. smiley

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

I started with PovRay but couldn't manage to use it. Then I worked with TerraGen (the free 0.9 version) a while until I could afford to buy Bryce 5.01 from Corel. Soon after, Corel sold it to Daz (DAZ3D at the time) and Studio-Bryce import/export was added in version 5.5, I also started with Studio version 0.8 (have it up to 4.9 but only use it to export assets I purchased to use in Bryce) and Carrara 3 (bought all up to 8.1 and again very seldom use it). Then came Bryce 6.0 and DAZ3D opened a special forum for beta testers, which was good and led to Bryce 6.1. For Bryce 6.3, 7.0 and 7.1 DAZ opened a special base camp site for steering committee members to which I was invited to participate. Obviously, I'm a fan of Bryce, after all, the best program is the one you know best. Surprisingly enough, there are still some options to discover, unfortunately also some bugs and then there are things that are not clear whether they are bugs or hidden options that happened or were overseen by the developers.

Mermaid, never thought to post to Pinterest.  I just might take a browse through and see if you come up.

Horo, had to laugh at your last comment about bugs; if they are bugs at all or overseen by the developers.  If they're happy bugs then it's ok.

I just learned about the 'exclude objects' option in the sky lab.  I had clicked on that a few times but didn't know how or why to use it.  Now I do, very cool feature.  Never used it before.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Exclude objects is also an option in the Light Lab. You can include or exclude certain objects. For example, you can include an object that is the only element in the scene that is lit by that radial; or exclude an object to be the only one not lit by the radial. In IBL you would exclude a cloud slab. Those take a huge amount of time to render and usually you don't see any difference whether the cloud slab is included in IB light or not. Note that you can include or exclude one or more objects, but not grouped ones, you would have to ungroup them

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I still love Bryce ... and can't see myself falling out of love.

OK, I love DazStudio and Poser too, I am obviously not a "one and only" software person. LOL

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 2020

Horo said:

Note that you can include or exclude one or more objects, but not grouped ones, you would have to ungroup them

Ungroup or give these objects boolean properties in a group. 

Post edited by Slepalex on

Kerya, lots of good software out there.  Glad that you still use Bryce.

Thanks Horo and Slepalex.  Will definitely use this feature.