Is anyone game?

Open this Br7 and add your own elements, textures, camera angles and post your image here.  Let's see what people come up with.  Had to zip it because Daz wouldn't let me upload it as a .br7

Comments

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,794

Here's another one that I did.

pinkandorange.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 108K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

NGartplay - I downloaded the file, I'll see what I can come up with.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 2020

NGartplay - yes, I'm game, this is an interesting idea, different than the last one on this site, which was quite a while ago and was lost when the forum was updated with another software.
    On top of my website right of the centre is a link to my Testsite at dyndns. It is accessible from around 09:00 to 21:00 GMT/UTC and shows the full Bryce Community Project 2009 from start to end and the participants.
    Another project was Nibor (link also on top of my website, fully right), always available. It shows the proceedings of 21 round-robin projects David Brinnen and I made with Bryce 5 between 2005 and 2007.

And now: Here's my try (not so beautiful like yours). Only the sphere, the torus and both radials. Additionally the EWL (extreme wide-angle fisheye lens) was put in front of the camera, which gives with FOV 65° a horizontal view angle of 185°. As backdrop and additional light the NeonWires HDRI (from HDRI4Fun). The sphere is partly transparent and partly reflecting and has some bump. The material for the torus was cobbled together with 4 textures. The sun also shines a bit.

RingAndLines

RingAndLines.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 270K
    Post edited by Horo on

Oh Horo, that is awesome!!  It is so much more interesting than mine or even the first one that I did.  I love it!  I'm so happy that you gave it a try.  I think that sun adds a nice bit of highlight.  I didn't think to try an HDRI; great idea.  Also, will check out the links on your site.  The timed one first, cheers!

edited December 2020

Horo, that was a fun challenge.  Some of the changes were not as apparent at first so I had to search for them.  Enjoyed viewing it.

Nibor and Bryce Community Challenge. If you haven't seen them, follow Horo's links.
    Post edited by NGartplay on

NGartplay - your abstract is beautiful, love the effect

Horo - wow amazing render. I remember viewing the Nibor a long time ago, there was some awesome work there done by you and David, I will visit again.

Here are three from me, the first straight from the box the others a bit different, I used the Alien room Hdri in the 2nd and the Stars_6ray1a Hdri from the Hdri4Fun set.

NGartplay if you like abstracts, check out Hubert's files he shared with us a long time ago, I think it was during the Abstract Challenge. His files are awesome and nice to play with.

abstractex2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 249K
    abstractex1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 903K
    abstractex3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 524K

Mermaid010, there's some talent, excellent!!  Each is different and beautiful.  I like the elegance in the first, the crystaline look in the second and the composition in the third.  The last one had me looking close to see how you did it.  Brava!

NGartplay - thank you. Mine came out a bit busy.

mermaid - thank you. Very nice results. I like the colours of the first, very peaceful. The second is less exciting but interesting nonetheless. The third is very cool with the HDRI reflections and the strong red to contrast the blue.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

NGartplay: Thanks for this challenge. And nice start.

Horo: Your render is wonderful

Mermaid010: You have not been idle, have you? All are nice, but I like the third one most.

Here is one from me. I added 2 infinite planes at an angle to the camera and a BB8 robot with a light in the body. The light in the original scene was set -25 for diffuse (red colour) and 100 for specular. I used one of the HDRI augmented skies by Horo, though I guess that is hardly visible. I moved the camera to straight in front of the torus.

blank-abstract-HM1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M

Hansmar, so cool..very digital feel to it.  Looking to see where the infinite planes are.  Is one on top and one on the bottom?

Hansmar - ingenious, very interesting to look at. Like it a lot.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 2020

What a fun challenge! (Interesting to see what other people do too)

Here's my first attempt - I just changed the colour of the two radial lights and the materials on the torus and sphere.

Abstract-1-A.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 931K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 2020

MelanieL, what a great effect.  It looks like very old marble from Rome.  Really like the bump/displacement on this, nicely done.

Mermaid - Is Hubert the one who does Hubisms?  I seem to remember a Hubert from 3DCommune.  I wonder if it is the same person.  I was Burpee back then.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076
    edited December 2020

NGartplay : thanks for the file. I like the colours of your render, really beautiful.

Horo : fantastic image, great colours as well.

mermaid : beautiful choice of renders, all very different.

Hansmar : great idea, very cool.

MalanieL : beautiful, great choice of materials.

Could not resist to try myself.

blank-abstract-8.jpg
    800 x 533 - 73K
    Post edited by adbc on

Hansmar - thank you.

MelanieL - very nice, I like the coarse bump on the torus very much.

adbc - thank you. Great, like an eye and at left LPs or CDs. Great lighting.

adbc - really cool look to this.  Outerspace probe or underwater probe; that's what I get when I look at it.  That bit of orangy red even looks like propulsion.  Great job with this.

Thank you NGartplay , adbc and Horo for your comments on my first effort. I was hoping to have time today to try some other things, but it's getting a bit late, maybe tomorrow.

Horo - your experimental "cobbled together" texture looks really nice - sort of a mix between cut glass and art nouveau metalwork.

mermaid - three nice examples, I like the third one best - those "stars" in the deep blue look great.

Hansmar - I love the colours and the torus texture (a bit like snakeskin).

adbc - interesting effect on the sphere - it looks to me a bit like a cyborg's eyeball!

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

Never done abtracts ( except useing KPT 3,5, & 6 in photoshop) Mine aren't  as intresting as others. But I found it to be fun. 

abstract-1Nofilter.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 988K
    abstract-2Quaritize.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    abstract-3Explotion.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 639K
    edited December 2020

S Ray, I have to disagree with you...these are fantastic.  You have achieved a painted look in numbers 1 and 2.  Number 3 is not beautiful to me in the classic sense but it is exceedingly interesting.  The black and white is unique and I can't tell how you made it.  Very cool.

So far, all the images posted have blown me away with their creativity, their technical construction and their beauty.  I'm thrilled to see this art and so glad that you shared it...bravo all.

MelanieL - thank you.

S Ray - fantastic work, one and two a bit with a painting look and the third is a bit like an explosion.

Horo, NGartplay, MelanieL, S Ray : thank you.

S Ray : wow fantastic work, the first two look like stained glass, the last one an explosion or even broken glass.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398
    edited December 2020

NGartplay said:

S Ray, I have to disagree with you...these are fantastic.  You have achieved a painted look in numbers 1 and 2.  Number 3 is not beautiful to me in the classic sense but it is exceedingly interesting.  The black and white is unique and I can't tell how you made it.  Very cool.

So far, all the images posted have blown me away with their creativity, their technical construction and their beauty.  I'm thrilled to see this art and so glad that you shared it...bravo all.

The Explosion effect is done by changeing the camera's size & FOV

CameraSettings.jpg
    239 x 320 - 75K
    Post edited by S Ray on
    edited December 2020

Thanks everyone for the nice comments

Hansmar - wow fantastic work

MelanieL - very nice,  the material you used has an antique effect

Adbc - great render looks like a scene from a Sci-fi movie

SRay - awesome abstracts, I think you will be hooked to abstracts sooner or later, all 3 are beautiful.

Post edited by mermaid010 on

NGartplay said:

Mermaid - Is Hubert the one who does Hubisms?  I seem to remember a Hubert from 3DCommune.  I wonder if it is the same person.  I was Burpee back then.

I think it is, but not sure... check this link

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/320386/35th-daz3d-bryce-render-challenge-the-theme-is-abstract/p6

S Ray - I really like the first two, which remind me of Marc Chagall's church window glasses. The third is grey but interesting - I've never tried chaning the scale of a camera, I wondered what that parameter was for.

mermaid - thank you.

Another couple from me: I added two reflective planes this time, new materials on the sphere and torus and moved the radial lights around a bit.
    Two views of the same scene - the first has FOV 120 degrees, the second has the camera rotated 90 degrees then rendered in 360 panoramic mode.

Abstract-1-B1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    Abstract-1-B2.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 1M

MelanieL : awesome results, cool renders.

edited December 2020

MelanieL - two cool examples, I like the panoramic very much. Camera FOV and Scale work together. The FOV value are degrees diagonal for an image with an aspect ratio of 4:3. If the aspect ratio is different, AOF (Angle Of View) is not the same as FOV (Field Of View). You can change Scale to match AOF with FOV. I have a PDF on my website if you want to get out your calculator and do a bit of trigonometric calculations: Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Mine > Diverse > The Bryce Camera. In a nutshell, if you decrease Scale, the AOF gets wider and vice versa. For a square aspect ratio image at 90° horizontal and vertical, you can either set FOV to 112.5° at Scale 100% or set FOV to 90° and Scale to 72.5%.

Post edited by Horo on

adbc - thank you.

Horo - thank you. Oh my, trigonometry! Haven't done any of that (knowingly) for nearly fifty years. I'll read the document and see how I get on.

MelanieL - I discovered that I also have a calculator on my website: Raytracing > Bryce Tips > Camera. Enter the desired horizontal angle of view and you get the FOV and Scale values.