Future of Hexagon?

Hi,

I'm curious but what is the future of Hexagon? Hasn't been updated for 2 years.
Is it now obsolete?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 2020

I am pretty sure it still works

I used the bridge with the latest D|Sbeta the other day and it did

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • shaykallshaykall Posts: 109

Its done and dusted, DAZ have just given up on it.  They should sell it to a company that will develop it further.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

shaykall said:

Its done and dusted, DAZ have just given up on it.  They should sell it to a company that will develop it further.

Couldn't agree more. It has alot of potential with the Bridge between DS. It's really good for small projects. They should review it and improve it.   

• wintoons said:

Hi,

I'm curious but what is the future of Hexagon? Hasn't been updated for 2 years.
    Is it now obsolete?

I'm still using Hexagon 1.21 on Win10Pro 64-bit as my main poly modeler. Hasn't been obsolete at all yet after 14 years.

• RaytownmikeRaytownmike Posts: 58
    edited December 2020

It also hasn't progressed in many, many years. Look is it capable of progressing? Where is the future for new poly modeler

technologies seriously, lets discuss.

Post edited by Raytownmike on
  • It's kind of a shame; I'm learning to do a lot of this stuff and so far Hexagon has been much easier to understand and use.  

To Raytownmike's point, I'll say that as a software developer, I think the interface is pretty clean, so it would seem like adding new features/fixing bugs would really bring Hexagon forward.   I've tried a few others and the interfaces were just option overload (at least for me).

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Past performance is not an indicator of future results, but as I recall Hexagon had not been updated for 6-7 years, and ISTR a Daz person saying it wasn't going to be updated, before the late 2017-early 2018 update to 64-bit.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

I'm guessing that Daz want to now focus more in intergration with other popular 3D applications such as Blender, Maya, C4D, Unreal etc due to the fact that they are more popular and many people use them rather than Hexagon. I won't be suprised that they make a full integrated bridge program between them and Daz Studio so that you can send 3d objects backwards and forth like you do with Hexagon. 

• it doesn't make it obsolete though, it still works

it is when stuff stops working it is obselete which has even happened with DAZ studio itself as far as Mac users with Big Sur OS are concerned wink

• Love Hexagon, highly intuitive UI, but can't see DAZ making it a top priority now.

• Hexagon works really well.  Super impressed with it and how it manages delta changes with DS via bridge.

That said, one big wish I would have for a future version is overhauled memory management for the sculpting functions.

Inflate & Smooth for example.  If i do too much, my 64GB ram PC system starts to choke (Win7x64Pro).  Like majorly.  Have Undo set to 4. 

One session really pushed it and had to do a hard reboot (did manage to save new morph).  That was fun.  Lost my internet from that hard reboot on gasping computer.  Took a while to figure out how to reset that unprecedented error from a hard reboot.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,196

Heh. FWIW, been there (I think), done that. I've thought about using other software (Sculptris?) to move stuff around.

• wintoons said:

I'm guessing that Daz want to now focus more in intergration with other popular 3D applications such as Blender, Maya, C4D, Unreal etc due to the fact that they are more popular and many people use them rather than Hexagon. I won't be suprised that they make a full integrated bridge program between them and Daz Studio so that you can send 3d objects backwards and forth like you do with Hexagon. 

Software integrations only work until apps being integrated to get updated. About 6 months. And tech partnerships rarely last two years.

• I may be a little programming ignorant here..but it would be cool if Daz could just code Hexagon into a tab in DStudio so we can make morphs and objects without importing and exporting...hopeful for 2021 progression!
  • Not sure if this is of use to you Wespose but it's worth a look I think -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Srsy-iDzQw&list=PL71BBE2D263B88562&ab_channel=Medhue

Personally I like the Hex-DS bridge, but I'm getting on a bit smiley

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited January 2021

wespose said:

I may be a little programming ignorant here..but it would be cool if Daz could just code Hexagon into a tab in DStudio so we can make morphs and objects without importing and exporting...hopeful for 2021 progression!

Hi.  Not in favor of that.

As it is now, having these 2 programs interface via bridge translates into a nifty way to create and bake (or freeze per Daz's nomenclature)  multiple deltas packages in one session.  Especially includes the option to  undo one or many Daz Studio-side morphs after sending over, and then baking (freeze) these out in DS as a new merged composite morph.  Super fast and easy.  If the process was internal to one program that would not be possible, or likely way more difficult.  Never mind more code to manage in DS.  Plus alot of people use zbrush, so ROI wouldn't be great either.

Would love to be able to send a selected figure without first deleting or unparenting all parented/fitted items not wanted.  Like maybe a toggle, selected only vs all fitted/parented items.  But saving a new scene and doing a quick delete of all things you don't wat to send over only adds about 2-3 minutes to the whole process. So it's not too bad.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • I just wish it would stop crashing so much!

• Hexagon has not crashed on me for ages, it does not like me exiting though, it keeps giving me a warning message when I close it. Obviously it feels lonely and does not want me to go :)
  • Raytownmike said:

It also hasn't progressed in many, many years. Look is it capable of progressing? Where is the future for new poly modeler

The future of polygon modeling would lie in AI through machine learning. It's happening now. But I still enjoy modeling in Hexagon 1.21 and Amapi Pro 7.51.

edited January 2021

I believe there is no future for Hexagon on the Mac. 

Post edited by Raytownmike on
  • shaykallshaykall Posts: 109

There is also no future for Hexagon anywhere.

Raytownmike said:

I believe there is no future for Hexagon on the Mac. 

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

ShawnDriscoll said:

Raytownmike said:

The future of polygon modeling would lie in AI through machine learning. It's happening now. But I still enjoy modeling in Hexagon 1.21 and Amapi Pro 7.51.

Oh, that's even more depressing than "3d scans"  popularity.

...meanwhile, nobody can prevent me from acting like it's still 1990s outdoors and do polygonal modelling oldschool way laugh

• DrakenhawkeDrakenhawke Posts: 48
    edited February 2021

Daz should make a bridge for Gravity Sketch, so Daz models can be used and modified in VR. 

grav.png
    1920 x 1080 - 749K
    Post edited by Drakenhawke on
  • redoak4722redoak4722 Posts: 1
    edited February 2021

I don't see anything wrong with hexagon. Especially since it's last upgrade. It rarely crashes on me and I do all my modelling on it for everything I do and not just DAZ although mostly for DAZ and I have programs such as 3dsMax, ZBrush, and others of that caliber and still turn to Hexagon. Hexagon just takes time to get to learn how to use it properly. I ve have used it since it was first introduced and only now am I becoming very good with it as I have learned to use it. Any mistakes I make now are because of my error and not its and are usually in my construction by making something not the way it should actually be such as the example attached. For a free product hexagon is extremely powerful. You just have to learn what to do and not to do. Many things you can do very well with hexagon and a few things you can't. For example again, I never UV in hexagon. That is not a strong attribute of hexagons. I use a different program designed for just UVs. Hexagon is a model builder and for that it is excellent and rivals some most expensive products out there. Bar none. 

I am working right now on a set for DazStudio for Vince 8. Two guns, clothing and other accessories... below are some pictures of those models. The clothing I am still working on. Pants in front of me right now. All of this is done in Hexagon, except UVing. I am very good with 3dsMax, zbrush, carrara, sketchup, and others that I have. But Hexagon is my program of choice for modeling. It cannot be beat especially for the price. 

FlintlockPistol.png
    1260 x 945 - 273K
    LeatherPants in the making.png
    1380 x 837 - 79K
    FrenchMusket.png
    1260 x 945 - 114K
    Post edited by redoak4722 on
  • some people like to blame the tools for their lack of abilty cheeky

DZfire and Arki to name a couple of awesome PAs can model perfectly fine in Hexagon.

Others can do awesome stuff in Blender but I struggle with that

Dead, future I mean. Is there a future or is it DEAD

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

WendyLuvsCatz said:

some people like to blame the tools for their lack of abilty cheeky

DZfire and Arki to name a couple of awesome PAs can model perfectly fine in Hexagon.

Others can do awesome stuff in Blender but I struggle with that

I dabbled in the dark arts of Blender. I enjoyed it so much I decided to invest $300 in a Marvelous Designer licence.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

I agree that Hex is a really great modeller.  I used it for many years until I got frustrated with the lack of development and moved on to Blender.  Very happy it has at last got attention, but too late for me.  I now find that it is easier to model in Blender!

• Hi Roygee, how have you been ?

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

Wings3D and Silo3D are good alternatives to Hexagon that are still being updated.