V4 will not install on my version of Poser.

Yes, it's old - P5.

However, I'm assured by umpteen people that V4 works in P5.

Now bought, downloaded and installed, but she doesn't appear in my figures - anywhere...
After umpteen different attempts and installing in various ways, still nothing.

All I get if I look in my file explorer is a folder valled V4 inside my Daz/females area. That folder then contains numerous other folders.
Of course, Poser doesn't even see them.

Any ideas anyone or am I £23 down the drain?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Did you initialise her?

Anywya  Daz 3d does have a 30 days money back guarantee.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022

Which files did you install, and how? You may have installed only part of the content.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

You may also have installed her to a folder Poser doesn't see.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

If you are using a recent version of Windows, since Poser 5 doesn't support external runtimes, I believe you can only install new content if you have Poser installed outside of the C:/Program Files hierarchy due to Windows' User Account Control, which restricts access to C:/Program Files.  Poser 5 stores its content in the Runtime folder of the Poser program directory.....

• WandW said:

If you are using a recent version of Windows, since Poser 5 doesn't support external runtimes, I believe you can only install new content if you have Poser installed outside of the C:/Program Files hierarchy due to Windows' User Account Control, which restricts access to C:/Program Files.  Poser 5 stores its content in the Runtime folder of the Poser program directory.....

Are you sure Poser 5 didn't support external libraries? I thought it was one of the many posty-Poser 4/Pro pack additions rather than a later (Poser 6) feature and it's not listed in the New Features at the front of the Poser 6 manual.

Richard Haseltine said:

WandW said:

Are you sure Poser 5 didn't support external libraries? I thought it was one of the many posty-Poser 4/Pro pack additions rather than a later (Poser 6) feature and it's not listed in the New Features at the front of the Poser 6 manual.

I'm not 100% certain, as the earliest version I have is Poser 6, but with UAC one certanly can't install content into the main Runtime...

• English BobEnglish Bob Posts: 113
    edited January 2021

Yes, Victoria 4 will work in Poser 5, but it's not straightforward any more. I'm assuming you're running Windows, and if you are, that it's more up to date than your version of Poser!

As others have suggested, Windows will prevent you installing content into a runtime situated in C:\Program Files, which is the default location for the library in Poser 5. There are a couple of ways around this.

I don't have Poser 5 installed any more, but it does support extra runtimes (this was the version which introduced the Content Room, and its associated Downloads library IIRC).

You could install V4 into an external runtime, which you would create somewhere other than C:\Program Files - however I don't recommend this, since (from memory) V4 needed to be installed in the main runtime of early Poser versions in order to work properly.

My recommendation would be to reinstall Poser entirely, and to place it somewhere outside the default C:\Program Files. For example, you could make a Poser folder in your My Documents, and install to that. Earlier Poser versions aren't fussy about where they run from, in fact I had my Posers 4, 6, and 7 running from a portable disk for many years. Doing this will give you free access to your library, which you will need for any further content installations or modifications you may want to do.

I don't know your level of technical expertise, OP, but ask follow-up questions if needed - and tell us your OS details as well.

Post edited by English Bob on

English Bob said:

Yes, Victoria 4 will work in Poser 5, but it's not straightforward any more. I'm assuming you're running Windows, and if you are, that it's more up to date than your version of Poser!

Good to hear from you, Stranger! laugh  Happy New Year, E.B.!!

• Happy New Year!

I may be strange, but I'm not a stranger. :D