Realistic Door - Moving Doorknob, Keyhole, Keys

For part of my story, my chracter gets her first apartment or "townhouse". I want to create a scene with her entering the home, but the doors for the "The Confluence Apartment" have no keyholes. I've looked around online and can't find a simple door with a  keyhole (preferrably one that moves), not for sale or free. Could someone point out a door that actually has a moving doorknob with keyhole? Even if they're not together, if they're separate then I'll find a way to put them together. Also, for said door, I need some keys. Like house keys and not skeleton keys that I always see when I search Google for "keys daz3d" or anything similar. Thanks! 

Comments

• So, it also needs to be an external door.. that rules out the one that sprung to mind which is an internal door though you may find it useful at some point ( https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/freestuff/-/87514 ) Have to confess I didn't make the knob turn on that one because what would you see when a round knob turns?. What type of lock? Yale/Mortice/both? I ask because they're different shape keys. In the UK (not sure where you're based or if it's the same) front doors tend to have both.

Regards,

Richard

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Might be time to learn how to model. When you are doing stories and need specific niche things, knowing how to create simple things will save you a ton of time waiting for someone else to create something. hexagon and blender are free

• I used to rig the handle and the keyhole so that it would retract the bolt when the keyhole turned ... then I never actually saw it used and it's a lot of work for no increase in sales.

One thing you could do is separate the handle geometry from the door with the geometry editor (or similarly the handle from one door with the rest of another door) and then rotate the handle as a separate prop. A keyhole would probably work with a texture map (base_color, roughness, metal, and normal maps).

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,981
    edited January 2021

As I had a few minutes:

Find attached a Cylinder (Yale) Key in obj format. Modelled in SolidWorks in cm, so import into DS at 100%, translated to obj using STL (so all triangles) and mapped from one side, so the map on the key will be mirrored on the other side. Do with what you will. 1306 facets, 653 vertices.

Regards,

Richard.

Cylinder Key.jpg
    794 x 443 - 37K
    zip
    zip
    Cylinder Key.zip
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
    edited January 2021

And a Mortice Key

Regards,

Richard

Mortice Key.jpg
    540 x 342 - 12K
    zip
    zip
    Mortice Key.zip
  • Gemini QueenGemini Queen Posts: 263
    edited January 2021

richardandtracy - Can I just say that you are like one of the coolest people on Daz, I appreciate this so much! If time ever permitted, you should seriously do like tutorials on how to build stuff. Cuase those youtube videos are helpful, but it's always better to have a person that you can talk to. Again, thanks a bunch for this! 

Side note - What's funny is that I saw the porduct that you suggested on Renderosity and thought about it. I jut didn't know that was you! 

Post edited by Gemini Queen on
  • Silent Winter - That's what I figured. It's the same thing with knobs on stoves and stuff. A lot of people don't use those kinds of things cause they're just not focused on making it super realistic. I'm hoping to change that. Once I get better with posing, lighting, and rendering I intend to move to animation. Which means that I'll need stuff like that. 

• FSMCDesigns - I know right! I have blender, and really want to learn how to use it well. I'm just still learning new things about Daz and need to mold out more time for learning how to used Blender. I saw Hexagon, and I had it on my PC for a while, but never touched it. I'll have to look into which one might be easier to learn. 

• Gemini Queen said:

richardandtracy - ...

Side note - What's funny is that I saw the porduct that you suggested on Renderosity and thought about it. I jut didn't know that was you! 

Rofl

There was me thinking the same name and avatar might have given it away... wink

Just hope they'll be useful. Constantly surprised when any finds my stuff other than completely useless.

Regards,

Richard.

• richardandtracy said:

Just hope they'll be useful. Constantly surprised when any finds my stuff other than completely useless.

Don't you worry about it! I find almost everything that I buy/find to be useful in some way! I want all my renders and stories to be as detailed as possible and really immerse the reader/viewer into what they're seeing. So thank you for being to thorough! 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,218

FSMCDesigns said:

Might be time to learn how to model. When you are doing stories and need specific niche things, knowing how to create simple things will save you a ton of time waiting for someone else to create something. hexagon and blender are free

lmao why would you need to model to know how to google the words key, doorknob, door + 3d

• Modeling becomes important when you have a need for things to be very specific. Take for example what I was asking for in the post. I'm asking for a real doorknob with a key hole that turns and functions like a real one. And preferably, I'd love to have the deadbolt too, that functions and turns like a real deadbolt that I could take a part. There isn't a single artist out there that I've found that's going to take the time to build something like that cause it's just not in demand. The amount of work they'd put into building something like this just wouldn't be worth it in the long run because of how few people would us it. This is the same point that was made by Silent Winter

Now if you went online, and found and actual doorknob with a keyhole and a deadbolt that both function like the real life things, then I'd stand corrected. 

edited January 2021

With the monolith, there was the discovery that negative luminance can make something black, even when it wouldn't be because it's too near the surface. It struck me that a keyhole escutcheon with a slightly lowered keyhole (but still proud of the door surface) could be planted on to any suitable door & look like a proper keyhole with depth when the hole surface had negative luminance.

I may try that this evening. I have created another key of each type so there is a choice & want to make props of them this evening.

As for the bolt. Hmm may be useful practice for rigging. I do need practice - I still need to follow instructions and don't 'know' the rigmarole off by heart..

Regards,

Richard.