HowTo: Create missing Genesis 8.1 Head skin maps from Genesis 8/3 skin maps

HowTo: Create missing Genesis 8.1 Head skin maps from Genesis 8/3 skin maps

The new Genesis 8.1 base figure has an additional material zone called Head that also is a separate UV layout compared to Genesis8/Genesis3 skin materials. This is problematic when trying to mix these skins with new skin assets designed only for Genesis 8.1. I am experimenting with converting existing skin maps with a tool included in DAZ Studio that is called Map Transfer. For a basic introduction to Map Transfer see an amazing tutorial of L'Adair here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/184696/tutorial-from-map-transfer-to-material-presets

Here is my working process so far tested with Millawa 8. Base Mixing settings for all surfaces from Millawa 8 are PBR Metallicity/Roughness. The process seems to fail for some maps, when it is PBR Specular/Glossiness instead! However you can manually plug the required maps into the Diffuse image slot one at a time and repeat the process multiple times as a workaround.

1) Load Genesis 8.1 Female Base Character
2) Select it in your Scene tab
3) Apply any Genesis 8 (or even Genesis 3) material settings
4) Open the Surfaces pane and start the Map Transfer tool (you do this by right clicking on the Surfaces pane and selecting it)

4a) Right click in the Templates area and select New Template
4b) Drag and Drop the Genesis 8.1 Female : Head from the Surfaces area on the right to the left Template1 you just created
4c) On the left select the new surface under Template1 and make sure the Surface Options: Target UV Map: say Base 8.1 Female

4d) On the left select Template1 and check the settings in the lower part of the dialog where it says Template Options. I used these:

• Source UV Map: Current
  • Convert by Matching Properties: Selected
  • Choose a path where you find the generated textures later on
  • File Type: PNG
  • Baking Quality: 10
  • Dimensions: Harware Cut Off: 4096 and Bleed Factor: 0.01
  • Downsize to Cut Off: Not selected

5) Optional: I saved the settings for later reuse using the Save... button
6) Hit Accept and the conversion process should start.
7) Open the Surfaces tab and open Head→Geometry. Change the UV Maps→UV Set from Base Female to Base 8.1 Female

8) Apply the newly created maps to their appropriate slots

NOTE: This still uses the original shader!!!

But you are using the new UV layout and can apply LIE settings designed for the new 8.1 UV layout like the tattoos from Victoria 8.1

The following post shows the opposite process:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/502871/howto-create-missing-genesis-8-skin-parts-on-torso-surface-from-genesis-8-1-body-and-head-surfaces

Post edited by markusmatern on

Comments

• thd777thd777 Posts: 931

Hello! Thanks that is very helpful. I ran into one small issue. Not sure sure if this is a bug or user error.

When I follow the procedure you posted, only the Diffuse and Normal map get transferred correctly. All the other ones are simply black (correct layout but black). Any idea what causes this?

I can work around it by putting the other maps one at a time into the diffuse channel and then running map transfer again. That works, but is a bit of a hassle...

Ciao

TD

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 519
    edited January 2021

thd777 said:

Hello! Thanks that is very helpful. I ran into one small issue. Not sure sure if this is a bug or user error.

When I follow the procedure you posted, only the Diffuse and Normal map get transferred correctly. All the other ones are simply black (correct layout but black). Any idea what causes this?

I can work around it by putting the other maps one at a time into the diffuse channel and then running map transfer again. That works, but is a bit of a hassle...

Ciao

TD

My test was done using the materials from Millawa 8

The maps that got transferred were Bump Strength, Diffuse Color, Dual Lobe Specular Reflectivity, Normal Map and Translucency Color

I don't know how these names are generated, because in some cases the properties are named differently!

Millawa in fact has more shader properies used, but they don't have unique images. They are shared with other properies:

Image name after Map TransferProperties Names Iray Shader

Diffuse Color ⇔ Base Color

Translucency Color ⇔ Translucency Color

Dual Lobe Specular Reflectivity ⇔ Dual Lobe Specular Reflectivity, Top Coat Color, Top Coat Roughness

Bump Strength ⇔ Base Bump, Top Coat Bump

Normal Map ⇔ Normal Map

So there are some properties sharing a map and they were not genereated under their own name, but I renamed them anyway.

Which character's maps are you using?

Mine was Emmeline from Sangiart (Rendo). It's not big problem. Map transfer did produce maps for the other channels, but they were simply the correct layoput filled with black rather than the source texture. However, any of those textures plugged into the diffuse channel get converted correctly, go figure...

Anyway, I got the diffuse and SSS maps transferred in two rounds and that's all I need as I find using the Victoria maps for the rest gives nicer results.

Thanks again for the nice writeup!

Ciao

TD

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 519
    edited January 2021

thd777 said:

Mine was Emmeline from Sangiart (Rendo). It's not big problem. Map transfer did produce maps for the other channels, but they were simply the correct layoput filled with black rather than the source texture. However, any of those textures plugged into the diffuse channel get converted correctly, go figure...

Anyway, I got the diffuse and SSS maps transferred in two rounds and that's all I need as I find using the Victoria maps for the rest gives nicer results.

Thanks again for the nice writeup!

Ciao

TD

I checked it with Emmeline Adult from Sangriart and had the same problems you described. During the exporting process I saw a progress bar with Rendering in 3Delight. I never saw this with Millawa.

The Base Mixing settings for all surfaces from Millawa 8 are PBR Metallicity/Roughness. I don't see the 3Delight rendering stuff there.

The Base Mixing settings for the Body and Head surfaces from Emmeline are PBR Specular/Glossiness. I think this is the problem here. But your solution as a work around is fine if you don't have to convert a lot of characters.

edited January 2021

Ah, yes. Mystery solved. Thanks, again! That explains the outcome. In any case, I am happy with my result.

Ciao

TD

Emmeline Bikini 1.png
    1236 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by thd777 on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370

This worked like a charm, markusmatern. Thank you!!! Now I can easily transfer all my Gen 8 characeters to 8.1.

• Will try, thanks, not sure I can make it (newb inside ^^) haha

• Is that the same process to get Mickael 8 to Mickael 8.1 char ?

Jeremion said:

Is that the same process to get Mickael 8 to Mickael 8.1 char ?

Yes, I just did a couple of characters. It works the same way.

Ciao

TD

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Thanks so much.

• A question :)

Is that possible to just create, in my case, a mickael 8.1, apply the actor save (Mickael 8) and then to apply the material / all maps Mickael 8.1 on it as well ?

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370

Jeremion said:

A question :)

Is that possible to just create, in my case, a mickael 8.1, apply the actor save (Mickael 8) and then to apply the material / all maps Mickael 8.1 on it as well ?

Could you clarify what you mean?

• To get a "full" character in "8.1", is it possible to :

- Load Mickael 8.1
    - Load the material "all map Mickael 8.1" to get the skin and all new stuf
    - "Apply" a chararacter preset saved base on Mickael 8 (to get back skin tone, shape, etc.)

Sorry, english is not my primary language (and I'm pretty new here ^^)

• KraschAndBurnKraschAndBurn Posts: 6
    edited January 2021

thd777 said:

Ciao

TD

Hi there,

I had the same issue. Try this:

Make sure the render engine in Render Settings is set to 3Delight. I even did a quick render first although I'm not sure it's necessary but I did so as it forced the maps to load and optimize. The map transfer tool appears to use 3Delight to perform the rendering. After I did this it went off lwithout a hitch. 

Here's an example render of a geograft project I'm working on., left is G8F with Base Female UV's, right is G8.1F with Base 8.1 Female UVs. I also added the PBRSkin shader so that's why it looks different...

Hope this helps.

WIP Comparison 2.png
    1966 x 1750 - 4M
    Post edited by KraschAndBurn on
  • Thank you, Markus. I followed this step by step to create the new templates and have now used these successfully in moving my own G8 character onto a G8.1 base so that I can also play around with the PBR skin settings but still use original G8 textures.

• be-2553179be-2553179 Posts: 1

Thank you markusmatern, this saved me some headaches today!

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955

Thank you for this as cerftainly helped with some textures I wanted to port over from G8 to G8.1.. laugh

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

markusmatern said:

For your instructions to work the render engine must be set to 3Delight (3DL) as that is what the map transfer tool uses to render the new images as indicated by another poster in this thread. It'd be helpful if you updated your instructions in the OP.

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited December 2021

Strange, all the options are greyed out for me. When I hit accept, nothing happens. I'm trying to transfer my Android maps to 8.1. Any ideas?

***EDIT*** 
    I am going to try reinstalling Daz. I have two working directories which has split my assets up into two folders. Maybe having a single unified folder will help resolve this. I am also unable to use 8.1 head/body morphs on 8 figures (not sure if this is intended or not).

-Davide

ice_screenshot_20211227-121406.png
    1266 x 975 - 1M
    Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on
  • veenveen Posts: 132

great tutorial but I got massive seams, any idea how to fix that? bump and normal are both on 0

• You're a legend for this

• Is there a script that shortens this process? This seems like a lot of work.

• ckent6307ckent6307 Posts: 0

****** HERE  IS THE FIX ***********

So I've run into the dreaded black texture error for certain figures. The solution is very simple. Some of your texture maps are different sizes. You have to make them all the same size. I had a diffuse textures that was 4096x4096 and an SSS that was 8192x8192. So I made them all yo be 4096x4096. and the transfer worked  perfectly. Try it out!

• arnonarnon Posts: 88

Doesnt work for me:

in 4) I did a copy and paste of the materials from G8 to G8.1, works fine, apart from G8's "Torso" to G8.1's "Body" has to be done individually. Just the back of the head and the whole neck area is messed up like predicted as it's the new entry "Head" in G81. Fine so far. But what Material / Texture do i load onto the Head section in G8.1 as there is no approbiate match in G8, well, yes, Torso, but that puts the whole torso map onto the head section.

in 7) G8, Head, Geometry, UV Maps. UV Set is already at "Base 8.1 Female", so I can't change it from "Base Female" to "Base 8.1 Female"

• ckent6307 said:

****** HERE  IS THE FIX ***********

So I've run into the dreaded black texture error for certain figures. The solution is very simple. Some of your texture maps are different sizes. You have to make them all the same size. I had a diffuse textures that was 4096x4096 and an SSS that was 8192x8192. So I made them all yo be 4096x4096. and the transfer worked  perfectly. Try it out!

This certainly shouldn't be an issue