Game on - if anyone is up for another one

HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
edited January 2021 in Bryce Discussion

Inspired by the 'Is anyone game?" by NGartplay, I decided to also give you a file to play with. This is simple, with two spheres, the outer one cut-off by a cube at the side the camera is looking at. But there are also four pure reflective planes and a fill light.

I add one example of a render.

Post edited by Hansmar on

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited January 2021

If the previous picture was too chaotic and too much of an explosion of colours, maybe you like the next one better.

Now the camera is moved forward towards the outside of the outer sphere (but there it is cut off). So, what you see is the effect of the reflective planes.

gameon_blank2.jpg
    875 x 875 - 417K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

That's very psychedelic! I'll see what I can come up with.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

Hansmar - wow these are very nice, I'm always game for abstracts, thanks for the file.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Hansmar - two interesting and nice scenes. Thanks for the file.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

Hansmar : these are great, thanks for the file. 

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,794
    edited February 2021

Hansmar, thanks for the file.  Your images are wild.  I wasn't going to do more abstracts but I'm going to have to give this a go.

Post edited by NGartplay on
    edited February 2021

Hansmar, I found this incredibly difficult because I'm not very creative.  I did one image from the top and two after deleting the sphere they were in.  I kept getting a strange film look over my images.  I couldn't get rid of it so I don't really have a true abstract except for the one from the top.

gameon_blank-2.jpg
    875 x 875 - 255K
    gameon_blank-3.jpg
    875 x 875 - 739K
    gameon_blank-4.jpg
    875 x 875 - 752K
    Post edited by NGartplay on

NGartplay - the first and second are incredible, the last seems incomplete.

NGartplay - both your examples are lovely, my fav the 1st one.

edited February 2021

NGartplay, the ones with the texture in the sphere are wonderful. My fave also is the first one. But I also like the top view.

I had also made a view from the right and one from the top. They are the next two.

gameon_blank_right.jpg
    875 x 875 - 405K
    gameon_blank_top.jpg
    875 x 875 - 432K

NGartplay : cool renders. The 1st and 2nd one are really beautiful, the last one looks "incomplete" like Horo says. My favourite is the 2nd one because of the bright colours.

Hansmar : both renders are lovely and colourful.

Hansmar - two very nice examples.

Hansmar, those look great.  I was trying not to make something that looked like yours.  I did fiddle for quite awhile to get the ones that I did.

NGartplay - nice start. I like your first, it looks like a stylised map of a fantasy world! I like the colours of your second one too.

Hansmar - it's amazing how the views from top/side bear such little apparent similarity to the perspective camera view.

edited February 2021

Here at last are my first efforts.

I added HDRI lighting (from Horo and David's HDRI for Fun set) and toned down the strength of the fill light. The four planes I recoloured with gradients to vary the hue gradually round the circle.

For #1 and #2, the outer sphere has a square-cut glass material and the small sphere a swirly one, part transparent and part reflective. #1 has FOV 90 degrees, #2 has FOV 180 degrees.

For #3 and #4, I used a different HDRI from the same set and changed the material for the small sphere. #3 is non-transparent, fully reflective. #4 is 20% transparent.

#5 is a modified material for the sphere with the original (starry) HDRI.

Gameon-01.jpg
    768 x 768 - 704K
    Gameon-02.jpg
    768 x 768 - 483K
    Gameon-03.jpg
    768 x 768 - 533K
    Gameon-04.jpg
    768 x 768 - 741K
    Gameon-05.jpg
    768 x 768 - 666K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

MelanieL - five very nice examples.

MelanieL : wow, five wonderful examples.

Hansmar - nice examples, will get round to playing with the file soon

MelanieL  - wow a superb set of abstracts, all are simply awesome.

Horo, adbc, mermaid - thank you all.

edited February 2021

MelanieL: Fantastic works! I like all the sparkling spheres.

I turned the camera around to point at the small sphere, just inside of the (cut-off) outer sphere. I also changed the colour of the four planes (you can see the colours). I guess this is how they made those test-screens for the TV in the past laugh. The second one is from the same location, but with a glassy texture for the reflective planes, another sky. The fill light has a purple gemstone gell light. Third one has fully reflective top and bottom planes, glassy side planes. fully reflective outer sphere and same texture (reflective with some bump) inner sphere. A sky preset from David Brinnen and Horo.

gameon_blank1.jpg
    875 x 875 - 1M
    gameon_blank2a.jpg
    875 x 875 - 558K
    gameon_blank3.jpg
    875 x 875 - 556K

MelanieL, those are stunning.  Excellent creativity.  I like that you have one that is different, all starry-skied.  I really like the orange and the last blue one.

Hansmar, the first two have a gem look to them, like a diamond cut.  The last one is kind of spooky looking to me.

edited February 2021

NGartplay - thank you.

Hansmar - thanks for your comment on mine. I don't know if it's just me, but I can't see your images (just a white box with a broken pic icon at the top left) - I've tried two browsers and logged out but still no images. Evidently NGartplay managed to see them so I don't know what is going on?

ETA: I tried saving the link address and opening it on abother tab but I then get Daz "Page not found" - did you maybe delete the attachments after posting?

Post edited by MelanieL on

Hansmar - I also don't see the images.

Hansmar : no images, all I see is kind of a coloured flash appearing and disappearing immediately.

Hansmar - no images to be seen.

edited February 2021

Some crazy composition, all this happened by moving, rotating, resizing. The cube has a glass material, the planes mirror, the spheres just grey default.

gameon_blank7.jpg
    800 x 800 - 39K
    Post edited by adbc on

adbc - interesting result - reminds me of a carnival mask.

edited February 2021

adbc - looks like the face of a clown, cool result.

In front of the camera the extreme wide-angle fisheye lens giving with a camera FOV of 118° diagonal 330°. All planes have the same material, the inner sphere the same texture, the outer sphere is reflecting and te backdrop an HDRI I made 13 years ago from a render of David's.

Four Petals

FourPetals.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 272K
    Post edited by Horo on

Hansmar, your images have disappeared!!!

adbc, I love that, simple and clean...very cool.

Horo, that's gorgeous.  I love red, of course.

edited February 2021

All, I have no clue why my images were gone. NGartplay had seen them so they were there before. I restored them and hope they stay up now.

adbc: that is a great face you made there!

Horo, wow, great. Like some kind of propellor in a sci-fi movie.

Two new ones from me. In the first one, the camera is below and to the front of the small sphere looking up. The planes have a fully reflective brick texture and the fill light has a chromatic glass gel light. The sky is a simple blue preset. The second one has the camera slightly below and close to the small sphere looking diagonally up, almost parrallel to the upper plane. The planes have a vertical line glass light cover, with blend transparency and no reflection. The small sphere is fully reflective. The outer sphere has a check blue pattern, but made fully reflective (in the non-transparent parts). I made the negative (cutting) cube less deep, so that it only cuts a slice out of the outer sphere. The fill light has a negative diffuse, but positive specular. The sky is fantasy sci-fi orange burst.

gameon_blank4.jpg
    875 x 875 - 846K
    gameon_blank5.jpg
    875 x 875 - 730K