February 2021 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

New User's Challenge - February, 2021

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

Each month, there are two different challenges: A Beginner Challenge and an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the February Lighting Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have all ready participated in the February Lighting Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    edited February 2021

Beginner Challenge:

"Lighting"

This month's focus will be on how you light your image. Lighting is what defines and enhances the viewer's experience when looking at an image. Lighting helps a viewer to "see" the story. The presence of light, or the lack thereof, provides us with the ability to believe the world we are looking at. It can tell us if an object is round, whether it is close or far away, what colors were used and even if the surface is reflective. As an artist, it will be your ability to master the use of light, that will set you apart from the others. Below is a source list of lighting tutorials, articles and videos that will help you understand how to use your software, the different techniques used to light a scene, and the theory behind why lighting is needed. This list is not comprehensive; it is just a starting point.

Also, keep in mind the topics we've covered during previous challenges. Build upon what you have learned to create a compelling image to light this month.

This year of New User challenges is just getting started. So far this year we have covered :

Composition

Inspiration:

Check out the amazing entries and discussion in last year's Lighting Challenge.

Other Helpful Links:

When following tutorials, be cognizant of the different applications (Bryce, Daz Studio, Poser, Carrara Blender, etc.) and different render engines (3Delight, Iray, Reality, etc). Techniques for one may not apply directly to another.

How to Use Your Software:

DAZ Studio

VII - Lights
    Daz 101: Lighting (video)
    Point Lights, the Basics
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25899/ (ideal for those who have purchased Gia 6, but the lighting tips can be used even if you haven't)

DAZ Studio Lights Tutorial - Presets - 3D Software

3Delight IBL or HDR type lighting environments
    IBL Master  (store link) IBL Master Discussion (forum discussion)
    UberEnvironment2 - Made Easy
    UberEnvironment2 Basics
    Learning UberEnvironment 2 Return to Topic
    Uber Area Lighting: The Basics

Iray
    IBL Master  (store link) IBL Master Discussion (forum discussion)
    Ghost Lights (store link to one of several sets) Ghost Light Discussion (forum discussion)
    Emission Profile Master (store link) Emission Profile Master Discussion (forum discussion)
    Creating and Lighting a Scene with Iray in DAZ Studio by SickleYield  
    Lighting and Tone Mapping in Iray by SickleYield
    Ghost Lights: Interior lighting Tutorial

Poser
    Poser Pro 11 Tutorial: Lighting, Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCkDHWX6VM
    Poser Pro 11 Tutorial: Lighting, Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_paY90kz40
    POSER Tutorial Lesson 3: Lights  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3m4Xy5lPrE

Carrara
    Chapter 14: Setting Lights

Bryce
    Artist’s guide page 125
    Thoughts on Lighting in Bryce 7.1 by Rashad
    Bryce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C772CuZ6RgI
    Bryce: http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/lighting-and-skies.html#
    Bryce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_mzhnLRx0s
    Bryce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Pe-IVp_dY

Theory:
    Mastering Lighting in Blender the first 25 minutes of the video.

Lighting Basics:
    http://www.amaanakram.com/lightingT/part1.htm
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/the-basics-of-the-art-of-lighting-part-1-simple-principles-of-and-techniques-for-creating-artful-lighting
    http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
    http://bensimonds.com/2010/06/03/lighting-tips-from-the-masters/

Examples of Lighting:
    Some Examples

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this threadChallenge Rules

Closing Date: February 28, 2021

Post edited by Linwelly on
    edited February 2021

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

This is a general render challenge with the focus on using varous Light Effects, such as Gels and Gobos. We are providing you with some links on the topics from a variety of sources.

Gobos can be used to make interesting shadows and patterns, such as leaves, window blinds, geometric shapes, etc.  Your imagination is the only limitation.

Gobos and Gels can be used in both 3Delight and Iray.  There are many products in the DAZ Store or, if you are really adventurous, you can try to make your own.

Gobo and Color Gel Lights Definition, Explanations and Examples

Gobo / Gel Light Definition

Color Gel

Gobo Light Portrait Examples

Gel Light Portrait images Examples

Gobo vs Light Gel

Gel Light Tutorials:

DAZ Studio Tutorial – Light Gels and “no poke through”

Daz Studio Lighting Tutorial - Gel Lights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-BUXBjeQ9w

Daz Studio Iray Tutorial:  How to Make Your Own Gel Light - text tutorial

Below is an example of what we mean by "Light Effects".

Closing Date: February 28, 2021

Gel-light-test.png
    1000 x 800 - 828K
    edited February 2021

Below is a list of products available in the DAZ Store.  Please feel free to use any of these products you may have purchased.  Purchasing any of these products is not required to participate in the Intermediate Challenge.

Poser

Take to the Floor Poser Gobo Lighting

Shadow Play Poser Lights

3Delight

Shadow Play DAZ Studio Lights

Advanced Serene Scene Interior Lighting

Take to the Floor DS Gobo Lighting

Real Light HDR Gels – Bulbs

UberPoint Light Shader for DAZ Studio

UberSpot Light Shader for DAZ Studio

Iray

IDG Iray Gel Lights

Gobo Lights for DAZ Studio Iray

• Here's my start. Going for the effect of something(s) coming out of the dust and shadows at us. We can see them but can't make out details of what is they are.

feb2021a.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • vamokvamok Posts: 238

A Bad End to Date Night

Lighting - Beginner Challenge

There are 5 different lights in this setup. 2 of them are horizontal lights facing into the scene from an "emergency vehicle's" headlights. I went with point lights for these because I wanted harsh shadows. The other 3 are your typical rectangular lights for softer shadows all set to moonlight kelvin. One of them has blue color added to it to mimic the blue lights from an emergency vehicle's lightbar. Once again, I used Emergency Lights Galorebecause I love this product!

Question: Is there a way to change the scale on a shader. I applied a leather shader to the seats (apparently it also went onto the dash) and it is way too big.

a bad end to date night.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Version B here with two more hostiles, a bloom filter added, and footing adjusted on the central hostile who's feet were in the floor it turned out.

feb2021b.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

Godrays in a foggy forest in the morning hours

I've tried to create this special light situation with terragen.

mysterious forest.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
  • aki3d said:

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

Beautiful start. 

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version B here with two more hostiles, a bloom filter added, and footing adjusted on the central hostile who's feet were in the floor it turned out.

That's coming along well, Shinji. I love how you develop your work over the month. Have you thought about maybe using the geometry editor to pick a few small areas of the hostiles' clothing and maybe add some emissives to them to show off a few more outlines without revealing. It's always hard to get a balance when trying to keep things shadowed but still getting renders.

edited February 2021

Edited for repetition - it is telling me that, "Something has gone wrong" but is still posting...

Post edited by Alias52 on
    edited February 2021

Edited for repetition.. Sigh

edited February 2021

aki3d said:

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

That is truly beautiful.

Apologies for my multiple replies. It told me something had gone wrong and when I could finally get in, I saw 3 copies and didn't seem to be able to delete my own post... Sigh.

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 412
    edited February 2021

Title: Night Fairy

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Showing the presence of another in the room without actually showing directly in the scene itself. Feedback is appreciated!

Green2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by katywhite on

katywhite said:

Showing the presence of another in the room without actually showing directly in the scene itself. Feedback is appreciated!

A nice idea.

A few tips, if you like. Increase the contrast between bright and dark, to get more drama.

Let her open the eyes and give the eyes some reflections.

when you lower the brightness of the shadows and add some sweaty reflections to the skin you can seperate the foreground (woman)

better from the background (bed)

To see the shadow of her hand on her face would also support the story.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited February 2021

Beginner's Challenge

Title: Campfire Stories

Not sure I'm happy with the lighting outside of the fire glow, but this is my first shot.

Campfire Stories.png
    1440 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

aprilshowers2065 said:

Beginner's Challenge

Not sure I'm happy with the lighting outside of the fire glow, but this is my first shot.

Nice render. The ground texture is very low res. try to give her some glossiness and a lot of bump. It will make the fire reflect on the ground.

I would try to lit the scene just with an emmissive shader without any dome or whatever you use in your sene.

The ambient seems to bright for this little fire. If you want to see the things around give them some glossiness to increase the reflections of the fire.

The color temperature of the flashlight is a little bit to high for me. A little warmer light would fit better the scene.

The reactions in the faces are very nice.

aprilshowers2065 said:

Beginner's Challenge

I like this start! the topics mentioned by aki are good pointers you might work on, but I would say the high light temperature for the flashlight is fine to make it contrasting to the warm firelight.

I take it you are using Iray and bloom with that? If that is the case I would suggest to set the bloom threashold higher (standart I belive is 2000, I usually set it to 9000) that makes the bloom only catch on the original light source and not on the reflections on the surroundings (resultung an a flat lighting) you can then plan with the radius and the intensity of the bloom (eG when you what an atmospheric effect from a sun intense scene you give it a wide radius and a low intensity, for a candle the radius would be vers small.

katywhite said:

This is a very interresting idea and I'm looking forward to see how with evolves. In the moment it's not getting clear what that shadow is, so maybe pulling out the camera a bit more might help (without showing the figure) and propably it will be easier to see what the shadow is when it lands on an even surface instead of the sushions which distort it further (thinking of those movies where you see the shadow of an attacker that mostly moves along a wall / flat surface) I think the green light is a bit extreme for as long as the observer doesn't know why the setting is lit in green.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited February 2021

Alias52 said:

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version B here with two more hostiles, a bloom filter added, and footing adjusted on the central hostile who's feet were in the floor it turned out.

That's coming along well, Shinji. I love how you develop your work over the month. Have you thought about maybe using the geometry editor to pick a few small areas of the hostiles' clothing and maybe add some emissives to them to show off a few more outlines without revealing. It's always hard to get a balance when trying to keep things shadowed but still getting renders.

Version C here, making use of what you sugested about the geometry editor to light part of the ammo on the leg armor of the right hostile, but also using a somewhat rough luminance map in the same area to light some spots on the same armor piece. I also located a light source that I hadn't know about in the surfaces of the set which I used the same settings as the main lighting before increasing the intencity to compensate for the fan so we get some effect from the new source.

feb2021c.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on

Version C here, making use of what you sugested about the geometry editor to light part of the ammo on the leg armor of the right hostile, but also using a somewhat rough luminance map in the same area to light some spots on the same armor piece. I also located a light source that I hadn't know about in the surfaces of the set which I used the same settings as the main lighting before increasing the intencity to compensate for the fan so we get some effect from the new source.

I really like the emissive on the legs - to me they show the lines of the character more. The ammo works well to continue the colour theme of the adversaries.

edited February 2021

Thanks for the advice, aki3d and Linwelly. Second version; upped the bump and the glossiness of the ground (although it may be too glossy now) and increased the bloom threshold and reduced the radius to lower the glow around the fire. Also changed the background lighting.

Campfire Stories3.png
    1440 x 1200 - 2M
  • sueyasueya Posts: 825
    edited February 2021

This is the first version of my image. I used a HDRI image for the street lights and gel gobos for the floor lights. I am wondering whether to change the white light to a colour. I am also thinking of adding a prop (speakers?) or cropping the image to remove the negative space on the left. Your constructive feedback is welcome.

DancingcoupleLights.jpg
    826 x 771 - 140K
    Post edited by sueya on

vamok said:

A Bad End to Date Night

Lighting - Beginner Challenge

There are 5 different lights in this setup. 2 of them are horizontal lights facing into the scene from an "emergency vehicle's" headlights. I went with point lights for these because I wanted harsh shadows. The other 3 are your typical rectangular lights for softer shadows all set to moonlight kelvin. One of them has blue color added to it to mimic the blue lights from an emergency vehicle's lightbar. Once again, I used Emergency Lights Galorebecause I love this product!

Question: Is there a way to change the scale on a shader. I applied a leather shader to the seats (apparently it also went onto the dash) and it is way too big.

continueing where I left of yesterday with posting trouble,

I got the emergency lighst as well didn't have a chance to use them yet, That's a very complex setting and you've done a great job with all the people placing and being active. I don't remember if you are Iray or 3dlight user, supposing you're working as well with iray I would suggest to you as well to try bloom settings in this scene, and increase the light intensity on your emergency lighst as well as the light that goe in the center of the scene (I guess you mean that to be the headlights of a car.

Ofte light presets are rather on the low side and can use a good cranking up.

The next thing maybe playing with tone mapping settings esp increasing the contrast by upping the highlights and the shadows

aki3d said:

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

that's is already a very nice render, nothing to add to that

• vamokvamok Posts: 238

Thank you Linwelly. I will have a go at those things when I am next able.

sueya said:

This is the first version of my image. I used a HDRI image for the street lights and gel gobos for the floor lights. I am wondering whether to change the white light to a colour. I am also thinking of adding a prop (speakers?) or cropping the image to remove the negative space on the left. Your constructive feedback is welcome.

Ha, this is a bit of Footloose! Good start with the gobo lights and the ouside dark HDRI, that works. There seems to be an additional light source to the gobos inside the room, maybe reduce that a bit and increase the intensity of the gobos? adding a colour to them surely might add an nice extra

edited February 2021

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects" Daz Studio

Underwater Caustics

caustics.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Aki3d on

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

cabin in the woods

I was missing something in the picture, so I added a building, some animals and a little lake for the reflections.

And a little less colour for a more realistic look.

cabin in the woods.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited February 2021

Second entry for Beginner's Contest

Title: Alarm Bells Ringing

Using a few different lights with this one - three red spotlights at different angles and a yellow point light, then the emissives on their uniforms, guns and visors. Would love to have feedback on how to improve.

Alarm Bells Ringing.png
    1200 x 1440 - 3M
  • aprilshowers2065 said:

Second entry for Beginner's Contest

Title: Alarm Bells Ringing

Using a few different lights with this one - three red spotlights at different angles and a yellow point light, then the emissives on their uniforms, guns and visors. Would love to have feedback on how to improve.

Nice start on this one, though you might want to check the feet of your characters. It looks to me like there might be some poke-though going on though I can't be sure.for certan.