Hexagon good on laptops with Win7, sluggish on newer Windows 10 machine

Subject says all. At the moment (late 2020) Hexagon works reasonably well on two laptops that I have with Windows 7. I tried migrating to a slightly newer machine with Windows 10 - no go! There's a time lag of 3 to 4 seconds with many of the smallest functions like "File, Edit, View... Help" etc. - enough to make things unworkable.

Other than initial trouble with the PostgreSQL files, DAZ Studio works fine. I have 10k (ten thousand) images on the drive and Explorer powers through those with no issue.

For me personally Windows 10 seems a bit weird (kind of like going from XP to Vista, I suppose) but if basic programs aren't going to work....???.sad

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Turn the Game Bar off as well as the Control Flow Guard. See if that helps.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,195

Oh-oh... it escapes me what the "Game Bar" is, but turning of the Control Flow Guard didn't seem to help resolve the issue, at least not on my first try.

But I fished a pristine, current (2019) Windows 10 machine out of the pile and bingo, Hexagon installed fine (and works fine) so that's a mystery!

The plot thickens though because on the first computer, D|S seems to work well.

On the second computer where Hex was good, D|S would not run at all. sad

It doesn't crash; it just stops running!

Again I used a brand-new machine for this test, lots of programs on it, lots of RAM, everything seems to work except D|S. Perhaps I will un-install and go back in time to an earlier version of D|S to see what happens.

The Game Bar is Windows10's way of wasting your resources.

I'll take a look. I also have the "Wild Tangent Games" thing on one computer that I use to render - maybe a gigabyte of useless files?

I'm thinking maybe my bad luck that the video subsystem on the computer is AMD Radeon or something. But usually D|S runs on AMD, and the trouble starts with the rendering, right?

Frankly, I'm running  Radeon machine and I don't have any of your problems.

No trouble rendering in D|S, on your Radeon-equipped machine?

Also I wanted to ask you if the "Game Bar" has to do with Xbox. I found the Xbox game bar, whatever it is, but it doesn't seem to show any controls for turning it off. Did you mean I should uninstall it?

FWIW my machine with the sluggish Hexagon installation seems to be rendering reasonably well, in Daz Studio.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited February 2021

you can also remove all that Windows 10 bloatware in Powershell run as administrator too

list of commands to copy and paste under video

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Roman_K2 said:

No trouble rendering in D|S, on your Radeon-equipped machine?

Nope. Do remember that iRay can render on the CPU, it just takes longer.

Also I wanted to ask you if the "Game Bar" has to do with Xbox. I found the Xbox game bar, whatever it is, but it doesn't seem to show any controls for turning it off. Did you mean I should uninstall it?

Microsoft keps making it harder with each version of Windows 10.

https://gist.github.com/joshschmelzle/04c57d957c5bb92e85ae9180021b26dc

Thanks. I seem to have gotten it "turned off" now, but I'm actually not sure how that happened, it seemed like such a struggle the last time I was in there.

That Github article looks REALLY complicated. sad

Roman_K2 said:

That Github article looks REALLY complicated. sad

It's not. It just covers several separate ways and is full of long names. Just go step-by-step.

Still not batting .500 at this end, and another install of Hexagon under Windows 10 bit the dust - sluggishness continues so as to be unusable.

Looks like some people are getting into the game on this problem? https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster

This one is in Berlin, Germany. Have downloaded it but haven't run it yet. Crossing my fingers as the last time I sent e-mail overseas about something, I got spam for a few years! sad

• TenTen71TenTen71 Posts: 67

This is why I haven't left Windows 7. I don't want to have to fix Windows 10 issues. Of course at some point I probably won't be able to upgrade Daz but I'm still using 4.10 right now anyway.

edited May 2021

I agree although of recent I have noticed that Windows 10 may be a bit better, in some cases, at running older programs compared to Windows 7.

Anyway I tried the App Buster and it brought up 5 "Xbox" things... again I don't have an Xbox, and Hexagon won't run on some of my computers, reportedly because of the "Xbox Game Bar". Sadly "Game Bar" was the one thing that the App Buster wouldn't remove. Back to that long, complicated (for me anyway) github article. sad

Post edited by Roman_K2 on

Of course at some point I probably won't be able to upgrade Daz but I'm still using 4.10 right now anyway.

Parts and drivers can become scarce too, unless you happen to be good at scrounging.

I just tried an install in Windows 10 and Daz Studio absolutely refused to work. I got a couple of renders of simple shapes out of it, and one model of a rock but the size fields complete froze, in the Render Settings pane so the renders were small, 460 x 640 sort of thing. And loading Genesis 3 figures made Studio vanish, and I'd find myself back in the Windows 10 desktop. At this rate so I didn't get anywhere near Hexagon; instead I moved on to another Windows 10 installation attempt that was also troublesome so I ditched the hard drive that had Windows 10 on it, and I went backwards in time with a fresh install of Windows 7. I know there are stumbling blocks going this route (fresh install, in 2021) but I thought I'd give it a try.

So far I've found one nifty thing that Windows 10 has: it reads Corel Draw files (".CDR") well enough to give a visual preview (eg. a small thumbnail) when you are in the disk Explorer. It would be nice if it did the same thing for Photoshop files (.PSD) but I don't think it does. Ditto (xnay) for .HXN files.