New project : PyCarrara V2

I've been a great fan of PyCarrara from the beginning, back when Frédéric Rible was developing it.

There were some severe limitations (heavily developer oriented, no GUI in Python, limited set of command...), but it was working.

Also, with the time, Python has evolved and the version used by Frederic has became absolutely obsolete (and very unsecured).

So, I decided to tackle the matter to bring it up to modern standards. Another motivation was that I ws getting tired of using C++ when no more than 10% of the code necessitated it. I find it cumbersome and not very efficient.

So, what is my vision for PyCarrara:

1. Bring it to a modern version of Python. I've chosen version 3.7.9 as it's mature and the vast majority of the packages have been ported to that version
  2. Add a layer to be able to package plugin that integrate easily with Carrara
  3. Add a server capability so that Carrara can be called from an external program. First need was to be able to use PyCharm to develop, test and debug plugins, but it could be also other programs (like scripts in Daz studio for instance)
  4. add new interfaces to PyCarrara, like for instance post renderers
  5. add a GUI capability to PyCarrara, so that plugin can interact with the end user.

What have I done so far ?

1. PyCarrara has been ported to Python 3.7.9
  2. I've added some new functions I needed to flex my muscles :-)
  3. The server is working and integrated in PyCharm
  4. GUI is working
  5. A mechanism for plugin to register with PyCarrara is done and a menu of available scripts can be called from Carrara

What  do I want to do before release alpha version and source:

1. Build the same mechanism for modifiers
  2. Create a set of useful scripts and modifiers related to animation in order to really test the solution

Between alpha and beta, I would like to :

1. port the ongoing plugin from C++ to Python. They are mostly done and it shouldn't be too hard. Those are related to mocap
  2. Setup the registry mechanism to post renderers and deliver a new version of the GMic plugin, up to date and easier to maintain.

Of course, every advice or opinion is welcome. Help will also be welcome when the alpha version is released.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

sounds excitingyes

I still play with PyCarrara occasionally but never know what I am doing cheeky

just curious what happened with OpenPose? All the facial captures around use iPhones I cannot afford wink

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

sounds excitingyes

just curious what happened with OpenPose? All the facial captures around use iPhones I cannot afford wink

OpenFace is one of the plugin that will be ported to PyCarrara for the beta version.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

Philemo_Carrara said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

sounds excitingyes

OpenFace is one of the plugin that will be ported to PyCarrara for the beta version.

heart 

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 179

I'm willing to help you. I'm already familiar with the sourcecode of PyCarrara V1 and with Python. I could take care of the build and test on macOS.

Few months ago a found a bug in the clear_keyframes() of PyCarrara that causes Carrara to crash. It happens when this function is performed on an object with a gradient in its shader. In my opinion it is actually a Carrara bug. As far as I understand a gradient is not animatable. Nevertheless it appears in the sidebar of the sequencer but without a black triangle at the starttime (t=0s). I've a fix available.

Looking forward to your alpha release.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Hi Philemo,

Any update on this?  I fear that PyCarrara will be too hard for me to understand, so I'm more asking about the GMIC update.

Thanks!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Just found this, sounds wonderfully amazing

• caiguisecaiguise Posts: 3

I really hope your work continues.  I am working with a kinect v2 sensor (old but inexpensive and great HD face depth data, uses FACS) and trying to figure out how to either stream or import files to control facial animation (I could use Blender, but am more familiar with Daz and Carrara).  That Carrara has useful SDKs is wonderful.  PyCarrara is something I would love to try.  Maybe Openface would help me figure out kinectv2-Windows to Carrara functions.  In any case, I hope you are doing well, and continuing with your projects.