Frozen at Stabilizing Simulation

I've used dForce before, although for the most part I try to avoid it.

Just recently, when I run a simulation, all I get is "Stabilizing Simulation" 0% and I end up having to close the DAZ Studio app because it is stuck at this point. 

Does anyone have an idea of why this could be happening.

I selected the garment, and turned off start simulation from memorized pose, which is what I typically do, before starting the Simulation.

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

• Sevrin said:

?? 

• RandWulfRandWulf Posts: 133

I avoid dforce at all costs -- your problem occurs for me frequently, and the effort it takes to try and get it to work just is too great a time sink...

von Hobo said:

I've used dForce before, although for the most part I try to avoid it.

Just recently, when I run a simulation, all I get is "Stabilizing Simulation" 0% and I end up having to close the DAZ Studio app because it is stuck at this point. 

Does anyone have an idea of why this could be happening.

I selected the garment, and turned off start simulation from memorized pose, which is what I typically do, before starting the Simulation.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,576

What Sevrin meant is you haven't really provided any details of what you was trying to do, e.g. if the item you tried dForce on actually was built for dForce.

• Yes it was. Why would I attempt to use dForce on an item that did not use this feature. 

I'm just not going to use it anymore. It's awful.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,576

But what item was it?

If it is too high poly it can tax your system quite a bit.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,299

von Hobo said:

Yes it was. Why would I attempt to use dForce on an item that did not use this feature.

It's not a stupid or facetious question.

A lot of older items can be easily updated by end users to use dForce. However, not all can, and it's not always easily apparent to less experienced users whether a given asset will or won't work easily (or at all) with dForce.

So it is something that's important to ask - whether it's something that the asset creator originally made to be dForce, or whether it's been added retroactively.

I'm just not going to use it anymore. It's awful.

dForce is an incredibly powerful tool, but a... temperamental one.

It's invaluable once you learn the things that cause it to have issues (most usually, crushing fabric between two surfaces, stretching it out too far, or getting it stuck in a surface).

• It is this product:

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/dforce-comfy-hoodie-for-genesis-8-females/125808

However, I am having the exact same issue with dForce products on DAZ Studio, so there is something else going on.

In any case, dForce is a nice idea, too bad it's impossible to work with. Even when it did work for me it took like 20 minutes to finish, totally ridiculous.

I wish they had spent more time improving dForce, instead of coming out with all this NFT stuff.

• What are your system specifications? What is your GPU driver, if the GPU is selected as the OpenCL device in the Advanced tab of Simulation Settings?

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,299

von Hobo said:

Even when it did work for me it took like 20 minutes to finish, totally ridiculous.

It is standard advice to disable any smoothing modifiers that are in play before simulating - they normally add significantly to the simulation time, but are only used in very specific circumstances within the simulation. (The object's smoothed shape is used for calcuating whether other items collide with it, but not its own simulation).

(Although arguably it'd be useful if dForce turned them off automatically, sometimes you *do* want them on during the simulation, so it's a case of convenience versus capability.)

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I hide anything that the cloth isn't going to touch during a simulation. I also hide hair that isn't being simulated. This tends to speed things up quite a bit. It can also be useful to try turning off self-collision. 

• Richard Haseltine said:

What are your system specifications? What is your GPU driver, if the GPU is selected as the OpenCL device in the Advanced tab of Simulation Settings?

Memory: 32 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz[Cores 6] [Logical processors 12]

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

GPU is selected as the OpenCL device.

I tried it with smoothing turned off as suggested ...

still stuck at Stabilizing Simulation 0%.

Not even the Cancel button can exit.

Have to stop DAZ Studio from the Task Manager.

Does the Cancel button do anything???

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300
    edited April 2021

von Hobo said:

It is this product:

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/dforce-comfy-hoodie-for-genesis-8-females/125808

However, I am having the exact same issue with dForce products on DAZ Studio, so there is something else going on.

In any case, dForce is a nice idea, too bad it's impossible to work with. Even when it did work for me it took like 20 minutes to finish, totally ridiculous.

I wish they had spent more time improving dForce, instead of coming out with all this NFT stuff.

I own that item.  This simulation took 38 seconds.  Because of the hands in the pouch, Memorized bones was off.

If there's an issue right from the start, that may mean that there are body parts intersecting with the garment stuck in the way.

Screenshot 2021-04-08 155520.jpg
    918 x 1198 - 277K
    Post edited by Sevrin on
  • von Hobo said:

Richard Haseltine said:

What are your system specifications? What is your GPU driver, if the GPU is selected as the OpenCL device in the Advanced tab of Simulation Settings?

Memory: 32 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz[Cores 6] [Logical processors 12]

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

GPU is selected as the OpenCL device.

I tried it with smoothing turned off as suggested ...

still stuck at Stabilizing Simulation 0%.

Not even the Cancel button can exit.

Have to stop DAZ Studio from the Task Manager.

Does the Cancel button do anything???

The Cancel button requires DS to be paying attention to thee vent queue - if it'ss tuck in what should be a quick pre-processing step then the button won't be seen until it gets past that, which by the sound of it is not happening. You can turn Stabilisation off in Simulation Settings, though if you do that you may be better off using a Timeline simulation anyway so that you can have a few static frames at the end to do the same job.

You didn't say which driver you had for the GPU.

• certaintree38 said:

I hide anything that the cloth isn't going to touch during a simulation. I also hide hair that isn't being simulated. This tends to speed things up quite a bit. It can also be useful to try turning off self-collision. 

You can just turn off Visible In Simulation, then you don't have to remember to show it again for rendering.

• Sevrin said:

von Hobo said:

It is this product:

I own that item.  This simulation took 38 seconds.  Because of the hands in the pouch, Memorized bones was off.

If there's an issue right from the start, that may mean that there are body parts intersecting with the garment stuck in the way.

Wow! I wish mine worked like that. crying 

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558

Yes dForcing can be tricky, especially if your GPU is subpar. My rules of thunb-

1. Always save before running simulation. If it freezes you don't want to lose where you're up to.

2. In heavy scenes it's sometimes better to simulate character and cloth in a seperate scene and import as a subset. Particularly if you're using Memorized Pose.

3. With shirts/dresses (not pants/skirts) sometimes it works better if you remove the dForce setting that came with it and apply the default dynamic surface.

4. Stay by the Cancel button and stop it when it looks OK. No need to let it finish and it will often look better if you don't.

4. Expect that dForcing items not designed for dForce to work about 50/50.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515

...if it is any help, I use the dForce Companion which let's you select an individual item (like a piece of clothing).without having to turn off a bunch of stuff.

I am running on a Titan-X (driver 451.48) and though not as ultra blazingly fast as Sevrin's system, I haven't had it freeze.

• kyoto kid said:

...if it is any help, I use the dForce Companion which let's you select an individual item (like a piece of clothing).without having to turn off a bunch of stuff.

I am running on a Titan-X (driver 451.48) and though not as ultra blazingly fast as Sevrin's system, I haven't had it freeze.

Thanks! I'll check it out. 

• A bit late but... I've had this problem a couple times. This is The answer I found (somewhere)_ Go to simulation settings, click on advanced. For open CL device select the name of your graphics card or whatever the other option is. Hopefully this saves someone much time searching for an answer.

• have tried everything in this thread and still freezing upon starting dForce sim

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

I have a whole thread devoted to using dForce on non-dForce objects, so something is going on with your scene or system. Try this first to troubleshoot:

Create a new scene, add a primitive cube with 20 divisions, add a dynamic dForce modifier, run a simulation (if you don't know how to do these steps, I can give more directions). You should see the cube drop down and start to deform. Let me know what happens then we can try step 2.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

Matt_Castle said:

von Hobo said:

Even when it did work for me it took like 20 minutes to finish, totally ridiculous.

It is standard advice to disable any smoothing modifiers that are in play before simulating - they normally add significantly to the simulation time, but are only used in very specific circumstances within the simulation. (The object's smoothed shape is used for calcuating whether other items collide with it, but not its own simulation).

(Although arguably it'd be useful if dForce turned them off automatically, sometimes you *do* want them on during the simulation, so it's a case of convenience versus capability.)

I'd add that if you do need a smoothing modifier applied, eg. for pokethrough control, then hide everything but the garment, set it's mesh resolution to base and export the smoothed mesh and reimport it as a morph. Then disable smoothing.