Content Question Time

Ok so in Carrara how would I fix this poke through of V4 I can't just make it invisble because I lose part of the neck and I only want to do it in post as a last result. Also are there any sliders in carrara for character and clothing morphs? I've used Studio a little in the past but have never used content in Carrara till now.

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I'd take it into the modelling room and soft select a few polys and give a slight tug till it was ok wink

• Zach WilsonZach Wilson Posts: 92
    edited April 2021

Got it fixed. One more question is there a way to edit the ranger vest on victoria in that pose. If i select the model for the ranger top in the instance manager then click the icon to edit in assembly room the vest jumps off the character. If i select the ranger top and everything included with that model, hip, abdomen, etc. i can only edit it in the modeling room. The problem is I end up deforming the mesh a little more than I need and jumping back and forth between the two rooms which makes a bigger mess. So I make the edit jump back if it doesn't work I undo the edit and start again. If I had to fix several instances of poke through this way the vest would probably look a little off (odd bends and folds) I would think.

Post edited by Zach Wilson on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

you can fiddle around with the deformers in the modifiers tab for adjustments..

I mainly use offset and scale ..

with the mesh don't forget to use soft select so the surrounding polys can adjust as well.. takes a bit of fiddling sometimes.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

has been a long time. 

i think the v4 ranger had support morphs.  look for like waist width, think it had the pregnancy morph in it too.  try manually dialing some of those built in morphs.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2021

As Misty said, my first choice to resolve poke-thru would be to explore the morphs that come with the Ranger clothing.

To see the morphs, select the V4 Ranger Top (for example) in the instances tree on the right.  In the box above the instances, there are 5 tabs - Parameters, Controllers, NLA, General, and Motion.  If you don't see the morphs already, you are probably in the General tab.  Select Parameters. The morphs should now be visible.

Sometimes the morphs may not work if "V4 ranger Top" is selected.  If you have a breast issue, for example, select "chest."  The morphs there will work.

My second choice would be to use soft select in the modeling room.  In the instances tree, select "model" under V4 Ranger Top, and then select the wrench icon on the top menu.

Once you are in the modeling room, you immediately notice that the clothing is in default position, and therefore it is sometimes difficult to find the exact polys to soft select.  To see how the clothing actually looks on the character, while still in the modeling room, look at edit mode in the top right corner.  The left button is selected by default (modeling mode).  Select the middle button instead (animation mode).  The clothing should now look "deformed," as it does on the character.  While you can't soft select or move polys in this mode, you can more precisely select the parts of the clothing that are problematic.  Select a single poly, or shift click and select multiple polys.  Then, return to the left tab and soft select/move the polys from there.  It is relatively quick and effective once you get the hang of it.

You asked about modeling while in the Assemble room.  Yes, there is a menu icon to do this.  However, I have never used it.  People have reported mixed success using it in the past.  If you figure it out, let us know. smiley

V4 Ramger parameters.JPG
    612 x 1000 - 112K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Zach WilsonZach Wilson Posts: 92
    edited April 2021

Thank's everyone. Next time I'll check for the parameters first. I went with soft selection and adjusted it since it was just a little area. Thanks, for the tip about using the animation button in the model room that helps a little more for making a better selection.

I went back to this scene an applied the 3D Universe V4 Ranger-MAT and Vickie went all demon possessed on me, her eyes went white.

Post edited by Zach Wilson on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

brother grim said:

Got it fixed. One more question is there a way to edit the ranger vest on victoria in that pose. If i select the model for the ranger top in the instance manager then click the icon to edit in assembly room the vest jumps off the character. If i select the ranger top and everything included with that model, hip, abdomen, etc. i can only edit it in the modeling room. The problem is I end up deforming the mesh a little more than I need and jumping back and forth between the two rooms which makes a bigger mess. So I make the edit jump back if it doesn't work I undo the edit and start again. If I had to fix several instances of poke through this way the vest would probably look a little off (odd bends and folds) I would think.

If you need to work on the mesh while in a posed position, it truly is a lot easier to work in the Model room instead of using the Edit option in the Assemble room.

In the model room, use the zoom tools in the tiny preview window to get the problem area as visible as possible.

Now go to the Animation tab in the model room (middle tab on the right panel) to see the item as it is on the conformed figure. We cannot actually make adjustments here, but we can select the exact polygons we need, then switch back to the model mode.

Once back in modeling mode, and the polygons selected from above, set the softness to your liking and make your tweaks while looking at the results in the preview.

We can make the preview window bigger, but then it changes the whole interface. We can move it back, but I just got used to leaving it little and just being patient with my adjustments.

I say all of this because there's no way in hell that I can stick only to morph parameters that have been included with products, and I'm always tweaking.

Another useful tidbit to follow this post

edited April 2021

Also know that, in Carrara we can change material zones (also called shading domains) on the fly.

A great way to fix simple character poke-through on skin-tight (or whatever) clothing is to simply hide what's poking through.

Like you said ealier: "If I hide this, then it hides to much" - so here's a solutions that's immensely simple!

1. Select the problem area of the figure - either in the model room or in edit mode in the assemble room
    2. on the lower right panel, scroll down to Material Zones (or is it Shading Domains?) It will currently list which zone the selected polygons belong to - or say "Multiple Domains"
    3. Select the Add New Domain button and call it something like "Hide" (or whatever you want)
    4. See additional notes below***

Now we need an "Invisible" shader

1. Create a New Master Shader
    2. Set all channels to "None"
    3. Set Alpha Channel to Value = 1-100, and leave at at the default of 0
    4. Name it "Invisible" and store it in your Shader browser
    5. Assign this shader to the new Hide domain

Additional Notes:

Now that we've made a new "Hide" domain, we can assign more polygons to it whenever we want. Just select polygons that you'd like to hide, and in that same area of the right panel, instead of adding a new domain, simply select this new one that we've just made!

*Note - thise new domain will ONLY be saved on THIS version of the character, not the actual figure in your library. So if you want to keep newly made domains or morphs that you've made in Carrara, save it as a Carrara file and open that to get your changes.

Just an FYI - I have a whole bunch of helpful tips on my website at Dartanbeck.com

Come on in and make yourself at home! Download some magazines, environments, learn some tips and tricks! ;)

Or not... just sayin' ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Thanks Dartanbeck.... I found your website a few days ago while watching one of your youtube videos very helpful site.

brother grim said:

Thanks Dartanbeck.... I found your website a few days ago while watching one of your youtube videos very helpful site.

My pleasure.

I've been a huge V4/M4 fan/user for many years now. After recently grabbing GenX2 for Genesis, my character creation, animation, posing, clothing, etc., etc., life has become So Much easier and, in my opinion... Better. Much Better!

We don't really even need GenX2 unless we have morphs from other generations that we really need to add to Genesis' already awesome arsenal. GenX2 comes with the ability to add V4 and M4 and any other generation 4 morphs to Genesis 1. Addons add the ability to add shapes from the older generation 3, Genesis 2 and 3.

Here's where a huge benefit came for me having GenX2: I have PokeAway for both Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 Female, but I like the control I get from the PokeAway for Genesis 2 Female a lot more than that from the PokeAway for Genesis, so I added those to Geneis via GenX2. 

PokeAway makes it easy to correct specific pokethrough issues using morph dials, so we can choose to use them only as needed - even during animations and poses. The PokeAway for Genesis 2 is more refined that the earlier work done for Genesis 1.

Of course, I also use GenX2 to get more shapes to Genesis. It's just so much fun to get those nicer Genesis 2 shapes into Genesis. But it seems that we need to decide to use Genesis 2 shapes or Genesis 3 shapes in Genesis, as mixing them can be a bit more cumbersome - but that was only the results of a few quick tests. Maybe it works better than I've discovered. But I've just been sticking with using morphs from Genesis 2 (M & F) and the whole generation 4 family with my main Rosie character. Works like a charm for me!