Missing .pmd files

ArhainArtArhainArt Posts: 53
edited May 2021 in Poser Discussion

When I load either the female or male anatomy it does a search for the .pmd file which cannot be found. A figure is added, but it is white and cannot apply textures. What gives?

I am using Poser 11 Pro Smith Micro version, not Rendo's. Did not like the idea of losing the wardrob wizard, comes in handy.

EDIT: I do not have Daz 4 installed. Not compatible with my new comp. Single core processor instead of dual core. Alas my last comp had a breakdown and fried the motherboard. Had quadcore processor.

Post edited by ArhainArt on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

Which figure, or is this all of them?

• ArhainArtArhainArt Posts: 53

Richard Haseltine said:

Which figure, or is this all of them?

The genetalia are interchangeable between figures. It happens with both Genesis and Genesis 2 figures.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

Is this using the DSON Importer?

Richard Haseltine said:

Is this using the DSON Importer?

Yes I am using DSON Importer.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

Do you possibly have multiple instances of the .cr2 in your Poser Library?

WandW said:

No, only one. Redownloaded the files to check and no pmd file. Seems it was left out.

• English BobEnglish Bob Posts: 113

ArhainArt said:

I am using Poser 11 Pro Smith Micro version, not Rendo's. Did not like the idea of losing the wardrob wizard, comes in handy.

Off-topic, I'm intrigued to know how you're managing to continue using Smith Micro Poser now that it no longer has access to a licensing server. I'd like to take my graphics machine off-line and had thought this was impossible.

Further off-topic, Wardrobe Wizard is made of Python scripts. To the best of my knowledge that whole ecosystem could be copied to Bondware's Poser 11, although almost certainly not Poser 12 due to the new Python version. I've not tried this myself because I have the stand-alone version of WW which I bought years ago.

ArhainArt said:

WandW said:

No, only one. Redownloaded the files to check and no pmd file. Seems it was left out.

The .pmd file should be generated by the DSON Importer, and IIRC, should end up in the writable runtime folder specified in the Importer settings...

• English Bob said:

ArhainArt said:

Off-topic, I'm intrigued to know how you're managing to continue using Smith Micro Poser now that it no longer has access to a licensing server. I'd like to take my graphics machine off-line and had thought this was impossible.

Further off-topic, Wardrobe Wizard is made of Python scripts. To the best of my knowledge that whole ecosystem could be copied to Bondware's Poser 11, although almost certainly not Poser 12 due to the new Python version. I've not tried this myself because I have the stand-alone version of WW which I bought years ago.

When SmithMicro switched to the 90 day license check there were complaints, so they also offered the option to download a node locked license for the machine. I took advantage of that, as I keep my desktop offline and often go months between uses of poser.

The upside is that I don't have to put my machine online just to get the license server's approval to continue to use software I bought and paid for. The downside is that I will lose access to the software when I get a new machine.

Unfortunately, the opportunity to get the offline license ended when Smith Micro switched their servers off. Rendo's approach of even more frequent checks means I'll have to think very carefully about future poser usage. I have older versions, so may just keep using them when required.

edited May 2021

When SmithMicro switched to the 90 day license check there were complaints, so they also offered the option to download a node locked license for the machine.

Thanks for the information! This is literally the first I've heard of this - way to keep your finger on the pulse, Bob... :o 

Presumably the licence is node locked to some part of your computer's hardware (it's generally the network interface in the examples I've seen)? This would mean that you can no longer transfer your setup to another machine, or even replace the hardware if/when it fails?

Edited to add background: I mostly use and prefer Poser 11 (reluctantly, the Bondware version), but my Poser machine is running Windows 7, and I'd like to take it permanently offline. I do have Poser Pro 2014 to fall back on if I need to.

Post edited by English Bob on
  • I too am running windows 7, offline only. I've been mulling updating it to Windows 10 recently (still used offline) as drivers and software are starting to drop Windows 7 (the latest Clip Studio versions and the newest Mavellous Designer to name but two).

I'm assuming they use the NIC, but they never stated their method, so I am concerned that Poser and some other node locked software on that machine could stop working if I update. There should be a few years left in my machine, but yeah, at some point I'll simply lose the ability to use legally purchased software. Kindof annoying when you think about it crying

Regarding license checks, I understand companies want to protect their work, but it does get frustrating to have someone turn up at your door every few weeks demanding to see the receipt for the pair of jeans you bought several years ago frown

Poser Pro 2014 will be my fallback as well, although I thought the pro version needed online activation (but the non-pro version didn't). I could well be wrong about that, as it has been a few years.

zemjw_6137f0984b said:

I'll simply lose the ability to use legally purchased software. Kindof annoying when you think about it crying

That's an understatement if ever I saw one. smiley I'll probably get in trouble for posting this link, so don't look at it. wink

Poser Pro 2014 will be my fallback as well, although I thought the pro version needed online activation (but the non-pro version didn't). I could well be wrong about that, as it has been a few years.

It's only the Game Dev version of PP2014 which phones home. I successfully reinstalled the non-Game Dev version after the Bondware takeover, so I can reassure you on that score.

• Your post at that link was very reasonable and quite restrained angel

I'd forgotten the "Game Dev" term. I checked my license file and it looks like I have Pro 2014, so it's good to know I should be fine when/if it's needed.

• Where are pmd files kept? Are they in the DAZ Runtime or Poser? I have just reinstalled everything on a new compute. In Poser Pro 11 I have attached the Poser Pro 2014 runtime (not game) and when I try to add any Genesis or Genesis 2 Figures ,hair or addons it keeps aking for PMD files.Sorry if this has already brrn covered but I haven't used the combination of DAZ Studio and Poser for a long time! Any assistance greatfully accepted.Cheers

At least in my system, PMD files are in Poser's runtime, in folders under Runtime:DSON:auto_adapted:data.

(Warning: this paragraph involves guesswork.) Because they aren't in a 'standard' runtime folder I imagine that Poser doesn't know how to search for them, so if your original use of DSON was in PP2014 you may have to copy the DSON folder and its sub-folders to the Poser 11 one. I would say copy rather than move - or better, synchronise - in case you want to go back to PP2014 at some point.

edited March 2022

English Bob said:

At least in my system, PMD files are in Poser's runtime, in folders under Runtime:DSON:auto_adapted:data.

(Warning: this paragraph involves guesswork.) Because they aren't in a 'standard' runtime folder I imagine that Poser doesn't know how to search for them, so if your original use of DSON was in PP2014 you may have to copy the DSON folder and its sub-folders to the Poser 11 one. I would say copy rather than move - or better, synchronise - in case you want to go back to PP2014 at some point.

I had issues because of multiple auto_adapted folders.  Search your runtimes for them, move the contents therein into one, and point the DSON importer to that runtime  in the Importer Writable Runtime preferences..

Post edited by WandW on