May 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Using Props and Push Modifiers/Deformers

13»

Comments

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

@DAZ_ann0314 this month has been a weard one, so I just saw your comment last night, and tried by changing the setting on one of the lightsources to see if I could get something like what you suggested.

Version C here is the result.

I really love this version. You did a very nice job on that. It pops his suite and him just enough to make him more visible but not in a way that takes away from him "hiding" so to speak. Really nice! heart 

edited May 2021

aprilshowers2065 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Alewis478. Version 2, I've added a flower garden so the view outside the window is a little more interesting. Also fixed the texture on the cat so it's not so weirdly shiny. 

Very nice! Looks like she has LOTS of helpers! Can I contract them hehe laughwink I really like this and I like the change to the outside (That was a good suggestion @Alewis478) The lighting is also very nice. I don't think I can think of anything off hand. Very nice work! heart 

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

ioonrxoon said:

First entry for the intermediate challenge... this was definitely a challenge. I used smoothing modifier and ran into several issues:

- The entire character was altered once I added the modifier. The worst culprits were the hands (they turned into thin shapeless sausages or flattened where there was collision) and face (the eyeslids and eyeashes were no longer in place).

- There's no precision with the modifier; move a finger 0.1 in a direction and you get a heavy indentation or tear, move it in the other direction and it's gone completely. But the weirdest bit was closing the eyes or opening the mouth had an effect on the waist indents.

- While the indentation is clearly visible in texture shaded, it needs very specific lighting to be visible in rendered mode.

I should have probably used a different modifier, but after fiddling around with it for quite some time I just had to push through and get a result. Any result. :)) There are probably better solutions, but what I did was:

- Bump subd all the way to get the indent as close to the fingers as possible.

- Loaded 2 characters in the scene, then hid the upper chest up for the smoothed one and the lower chest down for the non smoothed one. That solved the hands and face issues. One thing I didn't notice before was that I couldn't hide the nails, is that not possible or did I miss them?

I think the indent/pressure came out very well so however you got there - it worked. In the end its generally about the destination more than how you got there. Way to persevere, it paid off nicely smiley.  

katywhite said:

Title: Indoor Challenge

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

Second Entry. Feedback is welcome!

HEHE OH NO! We have 2 cats. They are always up to something hehe. This captures that very well smiley I really like some of the knocked over/broken glass pieces. Very cute and well done heart 

perlk said:

I think it is improving.

And here's the progression, three being the most recent:

Very nice! I think the changes bring her a bit out of the shadows while leaving the drama of the shadow. That isn't an easy balance (trying to keep an image darker/shadowed while still showing things you want to be seen) You did a very nice job! heart 

Alewis478 said:

Beginner contest entry

Re-imagined version of my original above

Very cute and love the changes! Somehow I accidently missed this one going through the thread. So sorry about that! That said, the changes were perfect and its looking very nice! heart Very fun scene! 

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 412

DAZ_ann0314 said:

katywhite said:

Title: Game of Cat and Mouse

Feedback is welcome!

That is a very fun image. I like the POV on it. smiley I think you did a really nice job with the props. You could play with some lighting if you felt like doing so (rim lighting etc) but either way it is very cute!

Thank you! If I have time I'll trying toying around with the lighting like you suggested.

DAZ_ann0314 said:

katywhite said:

Title: Indoor Challenge

Second Entry. Feedback is welcome!

HEHE OH NO! We have 2 cats. They are always up to something hehe. This captures that very well smiley I really like some of the knocked over/broken glass pieces. Very cute and well done heart 

Ha, ha I can only imagine. XD And thank you :)

• ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 885
    edited May 2021

Second entry for the intermediate challenge; I used a d-former for this one, finally figured out how it works thanks to the tutorial video. Much easier to work with than smoothing.

I also attempted to use a d-former on a prop and it didn't seem to work, is it only possible to use it on figures with weight?

Fight.jpg
    3840 x 2373 - 4M
    Post edited by ioonrxoon on
    edited May 2021

Tiny update to my first entry, just realized I didn't center the characters properly in that one.

Vamp Crop.jpg
    1776 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by ioonrxoon on
  • davidjones8418davidjones8418 Posts: 166
    edited May 2021

Title: Routine Android Maintenance

Software: Daz 4.15 (iRay)

Challenge: May Intermediate

Android

Ummed and ah'ed for ages this month over what to deform.

In the end it was a lot harder than I thought. Using an opacity map on the skin set the arms to thin walled, which made them look paper lanterns. In the end I canvased two images (with and without the map) and used a mask to combine them. Pleased with how the inner geoshell and flesh looks on the wound site.

I then got ridiculously stuck on the blood soaked cotton wool. Messed around fruitlessly with LIE for ages before realizing geoshells are the answer for this sort of thing.

So I learned a lot (as usual from these challenges), which was nice :)

Reposted this to clear up a tiny imperfection on the cotton wool (will ask for original above to be deleted).

Android.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by davidjones8418 on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 840

DAZ_ann0314 said:

perlk said:

I think it is improving.

And here's the progression, three being the most recent:

Very nice! I think the changes bring her a bit out of the shadows while leaving the drama of the shadow. That isn't an easy balance (trying to keep an image darker/shadowed while still showing things you want to be seen) You did a very nice job! heart 

Thank you so much!!!

davidjones8418 said:

Title: Routine Android Maintenance

Software: Daz 4.15 (iRay)

Challenge: May Intermediate

Android

Ummed and ah'ed for ages this month over what to deform.

In the end it was a lot harder than I thought. Using an opacity map on the skin set the arms to thin walled, which made them look paper lanterns. In the end I canvased two images (with and without the map) and used a mask to combine them. Pleased with how the inner geoshell and flesh looks on the wound site.

I then got ridiculously stuck on the blood soaked cotton wool. Messed around fruitlessly with LIE for ages before realizing geoshells are the answer for this sort of thing.

So I learned a lot (as usual from these challenges), which was nice :)

Reposted this to clear up a tiny imperfection on the cotton wool (will ask for original above to be deleted).

Whoa, this is so clever, I really dig it.

• DAZ_ann0314 said:

aprilshowers2065 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Alewis478. Version 2, I've added a flower garden so the view outside the window is a little more interesting. Also fixed the texture on the cat so it's not so weirdly shiny. 

Very nice! Looks like she has LOTS of helpers! Can I contract them hehe laughwink I really like this and I like the change to the outside (That was a good suggestion @Alewis478) The lighting is also very nice. I don't think I can think of anything off hand. Very nice work! heart 

Thanks! Well, you can try contracting them, just be forewarned that some of them are easily distracted! wink

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 398
    edited June 2021

My entry for this month's intermediate contest:

Title: "My Relationship with Time"

Item deformed: Beyond the Clock

Even though it's too late for me to revise the image for the contest, I'd love to hear your thoughts/critiques!

my relationship with time.png
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by LaPartita on
    edited June 2021

This challenge is now closed (technically it was last night but I wasn't on to close it) 

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

May 2021

Showcased Participants for the May Props Challenge

Alewis478

aprilshowers2065

katywhite

Showcased Participants for the May Deformers Challenge

ioonrxoon

davidjones8418 

vamok 

New User Welcome

perlk

Congratulations to all those spotlighted in the Challenge and also to everyone who participated! All the entries were wonderful and you should all be very proud of the lovely artwork you submitted! heartheart

• Thank you so much! Congrats to the other winners and great work everyone!

Thank you <3 And congrats to all the winners! Beautiful work everyone.

Wow, this is awesome! So many great entries, and thank you for the opportunity to participate!

• vamokvamok Posts: 238

Thanks and congratulations to the winners!

@ioonrxoon Beautiful lighting in your winning render (beautiful all around, actually!). 

All the renders were really great. It was really tough to choose this month heart Thanks to all of you who helped each other and encouraged each other. heart

Thanks a lot and cogratulations to the other participants. This was a great challenege and I'm glad I finally figured out how to use those d-formers.