48th Bryce Render Challenge ( New Journey )

ApocApoc Posts: 407
edited July 2021 in Bryce Discussion

Intro :  

Hello everyone. Some of you may know me as the guy who helps set up the polls for chohole. I am sure by now, you have all heard the unfortunate news. So to pick up the mantle in our stead, I will be taking over the challenges in the place of our beloved moderator. I am not as witty or as clever as she is, but I will try to make these challenges, fun, creative, and a true test of your abilities. For this challenge, I thought it would be best to look ahead. Seeing as we are still in the middle of a pandemic and the world is under duress, I thought something a bit open ended would be a nice change of pace

Bryce Contest #48 
                                              Theme:  NEW JOURNEY 

Description: 

What if we imagined a place, a distant shore far beyond the horizon. To go on a journey into the great beyond, and see wonders the eyes can only fathom. Who knows what lies beyond those stars, the darkest crevices of the ocean, and the great plains ahead!. 

I want you to imagine it, an adventure unseen, unheard of. You tell your tale as you embark into those misty foggy lands, And for your return, they tell tales of your heroic Journey!  

This is a contest about THRILLS, EXCITEMENT, AND A STORY YOU GET TO SHARE! 

It can be about that time,
- you ventured on a new continent,

- found a new planet,

- starting new job,

- or even about how you made good use of your vacation to create your own time machine, go back and capture your own pet dinosaur, who you named Carl.Jr, and  triggering a timeline apocalypse due to your machine malfunctioning. Accidentally bringing all 3million of them back into the modern day. Which you now have to fight off with your giant rockerlauncher ripped vest, warpaint, and bandana that carl found off some no name movie star ​ .  . .

Wether your a pirate, a rock star, or even an accountant The choice is yours with this one! So think of anything that gives you a renewal and fresh look on life.   As chohole always says.

Your imagination is the only limit   

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules

•  
    All renders must be new renders.
  •  
    You can enter up to 3 renders.
  •  
    You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS
  •  
    Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.
  •  
    Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.
  • 

You may include dinosaurs

• Please submit your works before the deadline

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

Challenge ends September 30th 2021:- Midnight DAZ 3D time

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist place $30     2nd place $20     3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honorable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by a poll which will be set up at closure of the challenge.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose

Post edited by Apoc on

Comments

• ApocApoc Posts: 407

Ok, I spent way longer on this than I would like to admit. Still, if anyone has any issues, or advice they wish to share with me, please let me know. I hope this theme is to everyones liking. My next theme idea might be something along the lines of ( Element X ) or something like that

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited July 2021

Thanks for continuing the Challenge. Nice theme

Pam has a list of themes maybe these will help you and normally she will put up the new challenge on the 1st of the month. Maybe that time is not suitable for you. When I was working, in the good old days, that was the busiest time of the month.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/256336/list-of-possible-themes-for-the-bryce-challenge#latest

Thanks ones again for keeping the challenges alive and Pam's Memories.

Post edited by mermaid010 on

mermaid010 said:

Thanks for continuing the Challenge. Nice theme

Pam has a list of themes maybe these will help you and normally she will put up the new challenge on the 1st of the month. Maybe that time is not suitable for you. When I was working, in the good old days, that was the busiest time of the month.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/256336/list-of-possible-themes-for-the-bryce-challenge#latest

Thanks ones again for keeping the challenges alive and Pam's Memories.

Thank you, I was looking for that.  I think we should go and finish that list first, 

And if the first of the month works best for everyone else, I do not mind. 

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

I haven't witnessed all challenges as i joined Bryce just 2-3 years ago. But it seemed to be that time of new theme being announced is pretty flexible and not tied to certain date.  But usually time given for participants to make entries was 45 days (1,5 months?) + optional 1-3 days if someone can't finish in time  and it's decided to wait + then voting stuff as you know.

Regardless... Apoc, thank you for "taking up the torch". Keeping alive Chohole's tradition and memories.

edited July 2021

Apoc - Akmerlow is correct the challenge runs for 45 days + a few days if someone needs time. In the beginning Pam will put up a new challenge on the 16th and let it run till the end of the next month, recently she started putting them up on the 1st. You chose the date and time which is most suitable for you, these are just suggestions.

We appreciate you taking over the challenges, first helping Pam with the voting and now hosting them, without your help, personally I think that the challenges would have ended long ago.

Thanks once again we really appreciate it.

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

What a beautiful theme with many possibilities to bring it into the picture.
    Thank you Apoc for keeping this contest alive.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Apoc - thank you so much to keep up these challenges and you came up with a fascinating theme.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

Apoc, thank you for keep up this challenge. And thanks for the nice theme.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Apoc, thanks so much for continuing te challenge. I like your theme.

edited July 2021

Thank you everyone for the support. heart

@akmerlow + @mermaid010 understood. 
    Seeing as how I messed up on the hosting date, 45 days from now should be sept 15. But considering how confusing it would be for people to remember a new date every time. I am thinking, that just having it conclude at the end of the second next month would be a simpler idea

Edit: so I have changed it to end on the 30th, more time is always best right. And if I am on top of things, I can set up the poll on the 1st of next month, let it run for 2weeks, then start the contest by the 15th and continue the cycle over again

Post edited by Apoc on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited July 2021

@Apoc: I can feel, you put a lot of effort into your post and it came out very well. I can only fully agree with all Bryce enthusiats here. Thank you so much for keeping the challenges alive and Pam's Memories. And I like your theme, too.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited July 2021

Your efforts are appreciated by all Brycers participating in the Challenges. These Challenges have kept Bryce Alive all these years. Thanks you from the bottom of our hearts.

• spuddyspuddy Posts: 449
    edited July 2021

first draft and  thoughts this was a lot more complicated than it looks it includes three backgrounds with the sun turned off  and many planets 

a new journey8.png
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by spuddy on

Wow Spuddy very nicely done, looks great.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

spuddy : this is well done, soft dreamy colours, a space dream.

spuddy - cool idea and very nicely done.

edited July 2021

mermaid010...adbc...Horo Thank you 

another version with  more planets made from spheres and backgrounds using my own old space pictures .you will have to search for the planets they are not obvious..wanted to give it a bit more depth

set up

a new journey14.png
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    ScreenHunter_2039 Jul. 27 10.33.jpg
    1846 x 938 - 554K
    ScreenHunter_2041 Jul. 27 10.34.jpg
    1007 x 643 - 204K
    ScreenHunter_2042 Jul. 27 10.41.jpg
    1632 x 869 - 446K
    Post edited by spuddy on

Spuddy, both versions are great. I think I prefer the first at the moment. But if you could have more contrast in the second one, I might prefer that one.

edited August 2021

thanks Hansmar do you mean more like this so first entry..."looking for goldilocks"

a new journey17.png
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by spuddy on

spuddy - the second one looks even better.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

spuddy : they are all very nice. I prefer the last one.

Spuddy - both versions are nice, but like the others I prefer the last version

Horo  adbc  mermaid010 Thanks for your kind comments and input

edited August 2021

second entry " seeking a quiet life "

a new journey35a.png
    1754 x 875 - 3M
    Post edited by spuddy on
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

Spuddy - both entries are really beautiful. And the Tree in the foreground is amazing.

edited July 2021

Wow awesome work with the second entry Spuddy. Very intriguing how you incorporate images and/or hdri backgrounds into your renders, fantastic work.

Looks like a photograph, spuddy. Beautiful result.

Yellow Pen thank you very much

mermaid010..thanks a bunch

Horo.. thank you I went through 8 different backgrounds and 13 versions to get to this.......... glad you like it

Spuddy, You are very active! I like your last version of the star trip best. And I like your simple life even more; amazing render!

Hansmar very kind of you thanks