Can Poser use G8 yet?

Can G8 be used in Poser? Or not yet?

Comments

• Not fully, no.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

The procedure and tools are the same as used to export Genesis 3 to work in Poser.  There is a how-to currently on the first page at the Poser Forum at Renderosity...

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

I forgot about this topic.

WandW said:

The procedure and tools are the same as used to export Genesis 3 to work in Poser.  There is a how-to currently on the first page at the Poser Forum at Renderosity...

Okay I will look that up.

Not fully, no.

Thought so.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

does any duf ds content work natively in poser 11.3?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    Mystiarra said:

does any duf ds content work natively in poser 11.3?

Natively no, you still need the DSON importer plugin.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

TYsmiley

i guess now  the only upgrade decision is do i  wanr to render la femme

i can stick with pp12 for everything else

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Mystiarra said:

TYsmiley

And to take into account that you have to have an internet connection permanently, as PoserPro 11 phones home every 9 days and without an internet connection it just stops working ...

• RHatchRHatch Posts: 49

For some reason, DAZ Studio doesn't save character morphs in scene presets, so all you get in Poser is the default Genesis 8 Figure. Boring...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    RHatch said:

For some reason, DAZ Studio doesn't save character morphs in scene presets, so all you get in Poser is the default Genesis 8 Figure. Boring...

What do you mean here? A Scene Subset should contain the current state of  whichever objects were selected - though it's certainly been true in the past that projecting from embedded custom morphs into fitted items has been problematic.

It's very odd. If I load the scene subset back into DAZ Studio, everything works as expected. Somehow the DSON Importer is not processing most of the morphs when bringing the figure into Poser. I get the same results whether I save as a scene subset or a character preset. I'm not doing anything with fitted items, just G8F.

Are all the morphs installed to the same content directory? As far as I know the DSON Importer won't handle content installed via Connect at all.

I haven't touched Connect except for one character a while back (the one that couldn't be downloaded in the first days of release due to site errors), but I've since replaced the Connect version with the standard download version. All of my G8F files are in my Daz library. I may try copying the Daz library to the Poser directory to see if it helps, but it's still odd that G8F's standard morphs come through.

Eureka! I added my Daz library to Poser as a runtime, and now the morphs come in fine. Now I just need to convert the face rig to morphs in DAZ Studio, and I'll have G8F in Poser ... Pro 2014 >:-) Seriously, G8F works remarkably well in Poser Pro 2014 (Poser 11 crashes way too much to be usable for me). I really wish you guys still updated the DSON importer, as I believe there are quite a few like myself who prefer Poser for day to day workflow, but appreciate the higher quality and realism of Genesis figures.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    Kerya said:
    Mystiarra said:

TYsmiley

And to take into account that you have to have an internet connection permanently, as PoserPro 11 phones home every 9 days and without an internet connection it just stops working ...

Whelp, looks like I won't be getting it then! Locking you out of the program that you purchased is a horrible trend... particularly since the Internet is not a very sustainable expense during 15% unemployment due to a pandemic!

Kerya said:
    Mystiarra said:

TYsmiley

Whelp, looks like I won't be getting it then! Locking you out of the program that you purchased is a horrible trend... particularly since the Internet is not a very sustainable expense during 15% unemployment due to a pandemic!

Right - I can accept software that has to go online for activation. Once. Everything else? No thanks ...

I am staying with my PP2014 ...

edited June 2020

Latest and greatest update!

I now only need to add ERC to the face morphs that control the jaw and I'm set, but I've made the most awesome discovery in the history of using Genesis figures in Poser: geografting WORKS IN POSER if done correctly!!!

(1) Add the geograft figure to the main figure in DAZ Studio.

(2) Convert rigging to triax if you haven't already for both.

(3) Save as a scene.

(4) Create Poser companion file.

(5) Enjoy almost 100% full Genesis (1-8) functionality in Poser (10 or newer). Just don't forget that most of the face dials will need to be converted to morphs and have ERC added if using Poser 10 or Poser Pro 2014, but it's well worth the effort.

(6) Genesis 8 conforming figures will not automatically follow the main figure's morphs unless you tick the box under the conformer's BODY properties.

Post edited by RHatch on
    edited June 2020

It looks like Poser 12 is going to break the DSON Importer, as well as other scripts... sad

...Since it was first implemented, Python has gone through different iterations. Currently, Poser supports Python 2.7, but the program's end-of-life date was initially set at 2015 then postponed to 2020 out of concern that a large body of existing code could not easily be forward-ported to Python 3.

"When we move to the newer version of Python it will almost certainly break the DSON plug-in and other scripts. We simply can't hold back the needed updates any longer. Poser needs to move forward, and we can't wait for DAZ to update a 10-year-old plug-in," [Charles Taylor] said.

If user want to use Genesis figures in Poser, DAZ Studio has a PZ2 (Poser format) exporter that allows the export of figures that can load from Poser's library system.

"This does require a bit more prep-work but once the figures are converted to Poser format you don't have to do it again and you don't need a plug-in for it to work," Taylor said...

https://www.posersoftware.com/article/469/how-poser-python-and-dson-work-together

Post edited by WandW on
  • SempieSempie Posts: 651
    edited June 2020

Hmmmm...

Not sure what to think of that.

I use Python scripts on a regular base.

Python scripts, written by others, as I have not got any talent for that myself..

Python scripts, mostly written by Python Gurus, that left the Poser scene.

This new Python version will be worth zip for me, without people developing useful scripts for it.

And I will probably lose most older scripts.

If they release a new Python version, they'd better deliver the scripts as well....

Post edited by Sempie on
    edited June 2020
    WandW said:

It looks like Poser 12 is going to break the DSON Importer, as well as other scripts... sad

...Since it was first implemented, Python has gone through different iterations. Currently, Poser supports Python 2.7, but the program's end-of-life date was initially set at 2015 then postponed to 2020 out of concern that a large body of existing code could not easily be forward-ported to Python 3.

"When we move to the newer version of Python it will almost certainly break the DSON plug-in and other scripts. We simply can't hold back the needed updates any longer. Poser needs to move forward, and we can't wait for DAZ to update a 10-year-old plug-in," [Charles Taylor] said.

If user want to use Genesis figures in Poser, DAZ Studio has a PZ2 (Poser format) exporter that allows the export of figures that can load from Poser's library system.

I assume that was a slip of the fingers - PZ2 is a pose file, not a figure fie. DS does have a CR2 Exporter too, which I assume was the intent. However, an exported CR2 would be a snapshot of the state of the figure and would not have the ability to add newly installed morphs etc.

WandW said:

"This does require a bit more prep-work but once the figures are converted to Poser format you don't have to do it again and you don't need a plug-in for it to work," Taylor said...

https://www.posersoftware.com/article/469/how-poser-python-and-dson-work-together

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

yeah I have a fair few of D3D scripts too and since he has passed those are never going to be updated

plus the DynToMorph script which is vital for Carrara imports of PZ3 scenes with dynamic cloth sims, if that breaks I probably will not be using Poser much at all

Well ... looks like Snarlygribbly is going to update their scripts, and make an effort with Rero and D3D's estate to update those too:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2948312

(Still not interested in a software that needs to phone home constantly to work ...)

• Can Poser Pro 2014 access and use all the elements in the Daz My Library folder, and by all I'm more interested in the Genesis 8 figures? I have created a number of G8F characters, and I want to be able to access them in PP 2014.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited July 2021

G8 won't work natively in Poser Pro 2014. There are apparently ways to get it sorta working using the DSON importer plugin.

Post edited by Leana on
  • MartirillaMartirilla Posts: 172
    edited July 2021

Grafk, it rather depends what sort of renders you are making in Poser 2014. Your main quick options would be:

1) Render in DAZ in similar lighting to your Poser scene, rendering to PNGs with alpha. Bring these flat 2D figures into Poser as camera-facing billboards (there is a free Poser script to set those up). This is especially do-able for a big crowd or battle scene, where you need lots of extras and you need some Daz costumes + character morphs (orcs and so on) that are not available in Poser 11. Obviously this is only good for still 2D scenes, not animations.

2) Use the Automatic OBJ Exporter (free on ShareCG) and bring in your posed and dressed G8 into Poser as a static OBJ. Again, only good for still scenes. But this is do-able if all you then want to do is run Poser's real-time comic-book filter on it and get lineart. But since you are using Poser Pro 2014, I assume you're not making comics. If you were you'd get Poser 11.

3) Get hold of a way to still run the old free DSON importer, which requires the old Smith Micro Poser 11, and then make do with importing G2 rather than G8 from Daz Studio. There are various ways to enable G1 and G2s to wear G3 and G8 outfits.

But generally, Poser and Daz are different software, and if you have finished G8 custom figures then that's where they belong and are best rendered.

Post edited by Martirilla on

I think you are out of luck with PP 2014, as Genesis 3 (and I presume Genesis 8) require Poser 11 for the expressions to work.  However, the DSON importer no longer works in Poser 12 due to the obsolesence of Python 2.x.  Keep in mind there is no smoothing modifier in Poser.

I havent tried it on Genesis 8 (I use Studio for G3 and G8), but this is the procedure for Genesis 3...
    https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2942433