DSON: two series of materials

pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
edited December 1969 in Daz SDK Developer Discussion

Hi.

I'm trying to solve some issues with Reality for Poser, when working with Genesis2 figures. When the figure is added to the Poser scene Reality collects the data about the materials. This is done via the usual scanning of the actors in Poser.

What is unusual is that the list of materials reported is doubled. There is a set that uses the old Gen4/Genesis convetion, like 1_SkinFace and then another set like "Face," "Torso" and so on.
Unfortunately we cannot attach images here otherwise I would give you an example.
Anyway, these two sets of materials are found attached the the same figure. Can you tell me what's happening and what would be the remedy for this?

Also, it seems that the figure created by DSON is actually including a SubD actor. Can you tell us what that is?

Thanks.

Comments

• dtammdtamm Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:
    Hi.

I'm trying to solve some issues with Reality for Poser, when working with Genesis2 figures. When the figure is added to the Poser scene Reality collects the data about the materials. This is done via the usual scanning of the actors in Poser.

What is unusual is that the list of materials reported is doubled. There is a set that uses the old Gen4/Genesis convetion, like 1_SkinFace and then another set like "Face," "Torso" and so on.
    Unfortunately we cannot attach images here otherwise I would give you an example.
    Anyway, these two sets of materials are found attached the the same figure. Can you tell me what's happening and what would be the remedy for this?

Also, it seems that the figure created by DSON is actually including a SubD actor. Can you tell us what that is?

Thanks.

Regarding the extra materials, we suspect that this is a side effect of selection sets. We will review this.

Regarding the SubD actor. Yes the figure created by DSON includes a SubD actor. This was how it was implemented before Poser had subdivision surface. We currently need it for edge weighting and HD morphs among other things..

And posting of images should work. Here is a test of that.

ss.png
    561 x 1041 - 178K
  • pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I didn't see n option in the message editor for the images.
    What I found is that exporting the __SUBD object to Lux while exporting the bones results in artifacts, probably the effect of intersecting geometries. If I don't export __SUBD then the resulting image looks correct. Is there any downside to not exporting __SUBD?

edited December 1969

It would lack HD Morphs or edge weighting.

edited October 2014

So, how would you suggest to solve the problem of intersecting geometry. Should I export only __SUBD and nothing else?

Post edited by pciccone on
    edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:
    So, how would you suggest to solve the problem of intersecting geometry. Should I export only __SUBD and nothing else?

Yes.

edited December 1969

Thanks. One more question. Is there a quick and safe way of recognizing a DSON figure as such using Poser Python?

edited December 1969

You can check for the Mesh Resolution -> Subdivision Level Parameter, but on second thought, this will be more complicated.

In general
    1) you will want the SubD geometry,
    2) but not if SubD is turned off(Mesh Resolution -> Subdivision Level Parameter = -1),
    3) but yes if it is a graft.

I will have to experiment to see all the different combinations.

edited December 1969

It would be very helpful if there was a way of detecting the false materials from the real ones. I refer to the "1_SkinFace" and so on in Genesis 2. Is there a property that can act as a flag?