Off Topic Thread #2

This discussion was created from comments split from: off topic thread.

Comments

• I hope Misty is OK, last we heard from her she was going to hospital because of her EKG  heart

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

From the Old Off Topic thread (now closed) Stezza: "the morning session of day 5 started well with 8 wickets in hand and runs flowed till lunch, after lunch the wickets started to fall and reaching the score was to be too hard a task so we dug in till tea, after tea the wicket started to act up and wickets started to tumble we needed to make it to stumps for a draw but was bundled out by drinks... was a good game though wink"

Yeah, we got some "explanations" like that in London.  Might as well have been in Klingon. Baseball is probably as confusing to the newcomers:

Here's an interesting development: "Afghan Cricket Board calls on Australia not to cancel historic match" (CNN, 11Sept2021)

Taliban: "Yeah, we have some controversial policies, but shouldn't get in the way of cricket."

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Cricket explained.  These two actors made a career out of playing these cricket fans.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I hope Misty is OK, last we heard from her she was going to hospital because of her EKG  heart

I check the complaint thread in the commons every once in a while.  No report there yet.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2021

Wendy, maybe Mistry's comms were affected by the storm as well?  I hope we hear soon! indecision

Stezza, SteveK when I came from the US to UK the 2nd time in 2000, I had to re-learn cricket. Welsh hubby says it's nothing like baseball. Yes it is, I say, it's a game with a ball and a stick runs and innings...and the umpire is a god who is beseeched regularly.  Cricket just has the most complicated scoring system of any game ever!  England v Australia in mid December test.  Watch this space!

cheeky  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited September 2021

OMG... just watching Last Night of the Proms (It's a Brit thang).  The star male soloist for LNOTP was  Aussie Tenor Stuart Skelton who came out in full Aussie cricket gear to sing the many stanzas of Rule Britannia!  I hope it's on YT soon, or at least on the BBC recap. Talk about irony!  Will post if I can find it.  Last Night is always a fun night, but this really made us laugh!

yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

SileneUK said:

... Cricket just has the most complicated scoring system of any game ever! ...

cheeky  Silene

Yes, I remember another discussion like this, one commenter said he listened to a long summary of a big match, then asked "Who won?!?"

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Steve K said:

Here's an interesting development: "Afghan Cricket Board calls on Australia not to cancel historic match" (CNN, 11Sept2021)

Taliban: "Yeah, we have some controversial policies, but shouldn't get in the way of cricket."

better let that one go through to the keeper! devil

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I hope Misty is OK, last we heard from her she was going to hospital because of her EKG  heart

Clicking on Misty's user name shows she was last active September 8

hope she's doing ok smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited September 2021

some people just have to make life hard.

The latest thing is my neighbours not letting me walk past their house.

yesterday she stood stock still on the footpath staring me down so I had to cross the road and none of pur driveways match up with those opposite our end of the street so that means walking a house length along the road with my granny cart.

The granny cart also meant I couldn't just walk past her stepping onto the verge.

Today her daughter's baby daddy parked his car across the footpath leaving the driveway that easily (and frequently fits) 2 cars empty.

This is no doubt related to me swearing when they abandon the shopping carts they wheel home in front of my house and me moving them back to in front of theirs.

It is them as I see them wheel them home and unload them.

The mall is a good kilometre away and they have 3 cars.

also home deliveries exist.

or brainwave, just use a granny cart like I do instead of stealing and abandoning trolleys.

they are filthy piggy litterbugs too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

WendyLuvsCatz said:

some people just have to make life hard.

The latest thing is my neighbours not letting me walk past their house.

yesterday she stood stock still on the footpath staring me down so I had to cross the road and none of pur driveways match up with those opposite our end of the street so that means walking a house length along the road with my granny cart.

The granny cart also meant I couldn't just walk past her stepping onto the verge.

Today her daughter's baby daddy parked his car across the footpath leaving the driveway that easily (and frequently fits) 2 cars empty.

This is no doubt related to me swearing when they abandon the shopping carts they wheel home in front of my house and me moving them back to in front of theirs.

It is them as I see them wheel them home and unload them.

The mall is a good kilometre away and they have 3 cars.

also home deliveries exist.

or brainwave, just use a granny cart like I do instead of stealing and abandoning trolleys.

they are filthy piggy litterbugs too

Feel for you Wendy, I had a couple of unfriendly neighbours who fortuately moved on !!!

edited September 2021

I am considering rendering a video about it to get it off my chestenlightened

but playing with Ready Player Me VR Avatars at the moment

Untitled.jpg
    1924 x 1036 - 329K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am considering rendering a video about it to get it off my chestenlightened

but playing with Ready Player Me VR Avatars at the moment

Oh, that's cool, where did you get it?  Or did you cobble it together yourself?  

I loved the book, but as a result I was very disappointed in the movie.  It was still ok to watch, but I had a much different experience than my friends who I dragged along to see it.  They all loved it.  I think the film threw away the best parts of the book, threw in a bit of SJW nonsense, and substituted plot for putting in pop culture references.  The book also heavily relied on pop-cultural references I admit, but the plot was much more thrilling, the stakes much higher in the book.  The film was mostly decent, don't get me wrong, it's just that it felt hollowed out.  I realize not everything translates from page to screen, not nearly as many D&D fans to catch the reference to 'Tomb of Horrors', so we'll throw that out and instead put in a drag race that the 'Fast and Furious' fans will like, oh and the super-secret way of beating the race is to drive backwards, which apparently billions of races before no-one ever thought of that because everybody in this universe is a drooling moron.  The book was clever and intelligent, the movie not so much so, sadly.

Side note: I'm missing Misty and her quirky and interesting posts too, hoping she's ok.   

edited September 2021

no not Ready Player One

Me

it's a free VR avatar generator but because DAZ is owned by Tafi I won't link it blush

it exports as gltf I convert to FBX with Blender

the gltf also imports to Animaze Editor  then bundled load in Animaze both free on Steam

a facial tracked chat app

I imported the FBX to iClone 3DXchange to add motions but you can do that in Blender too, I got the textures from Animaze editor because I couldn't figure out how to export them from Blender, they are obviously embeded but the FBX export wasn't keeping them.

They need to all be flipped vertically for the FBX export imported into Carrara etc

Unreal Engine Cinematic I rendered

I am going to try and get that free for this month Alchemist House Asset into Carrara too but will have to rename every surface and shader to save it due to the Carrara Character limit truncation.

It might be easier to import it into DAZ studio First and combine and rename stuff with the Geometry editor

Wendy, these are so fun.  I love the 'zoom meeting' at the end of the most recent.

I have one more trip to fetch my last batch of stuff.  This time to Texas.  After that, I will have officially moved to Little Rock.

Feeling a sense of personal accomplishment.  I faced my fear of heights and walked Junction Bridge.

https://pulaskicounty.net/junction-bridge/

bridge.jpg
    363 x 198 - 21K
    edited September 2021

I prefer staying ground level, I have challenged my fears a few times on cable cars etc but stuff that! cheeky

not having much luck with that unreal  scene in Octane, the emitters won't work unless lots of samples

it renders beautifully in DAZ studio iray BTW so am puzzled

painfully renamed every shader too, all 50 so it can save (and grouped the 1494 meshes by type)

will try Carrara native on my other PC with the better CPU later

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 247K
    Capture.JPG
    854 x 677 - 84K
    Octane 4 Carrara.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 467K

More breaking news on the cricket front:

"The paw-fect pitch invasion? Dog brings halt to Irish cricket match"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13/sport/dog-invades-pitch-at-irish-cricket-match-spt-intl/index.html

Steve K said:

More breaking news on the cricket front:

"The paw-fect pitch invasion? Dog brings halt to Irish cricket match"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13/sport/dog-invades-pitch-at-irish-cricket-match-spt-intl/index.html

Seen that the other day... funny stuff.

once when we were fielding ( my younger days ) we were chased off by a herd of cows! surprise 

Stezza said:

Seen that the other day... funny stuff.

once when we were fielding ( my younger days ) we were chased off by a herd of cows! surprise 

True story: I played baseball in junior high (~12 years old in Oklahoma City, USA). At one practice a bunch of big, young guys showed up with baseball bats and similar, looking to ... I dunno, make a point?  We had a couple of slightly older players who had been held back in school and had probably instigated this, but most of us were just mystified and scared.  The adult coaches managed to talk them down.  So when I hear of soccer "hooligans", its not that remote, even though my situation had nothing to do with the sport. frown

Think you're having a bad day?

210914165518-02-golden-ray-georgia-ntsb-report-exlarge-169.jpg
    780 x 438 - 53K
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited September 2021

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Hope she is OK.

Does anybody know Misti's real name ? If so you could PM McGyver and maybe he could call the hospital to check on her.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • Charlie Judge said:

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Hope she is OK.

Does anybody know Misti's real name ? If so you could PM McGyver and maybe he could call the hospital to check on her.

I do but would feel wrong about giving it out 

Wendy, did you try to SKYPE with her?  Or email?  I am getting quite worried.  Does she have family?  I hope she's OK, I really miss her, too, but more importantly hope she is OK.  Some folks like to take breaks from forums, but this sems out of character for her as she did mention her health issues.

frownheart Silene

• I uninstalled Skype 2 years ago

I figure if she hasn't contacted anyone here we cannot contact her either, honestly the forum and it's private messages are easier to sign into than other things like Skype.

doesn't mean I am unconcerned just know there is nothing we can do.

Be well, Misty.  

Miss you.

But yeah, I see Wendy's point.  Online privacy is a big deal.  So, I have sent her a PM as I'm sure others have.  If she sees the forum or gets notified of a message, I hope it makes her feel better.  And if anyone has more direct contact, please let us know how she is doing, if she permits it. The good folks in the Commons complaint thread are concerned as well.  But I wouldn't want anyone giving out my private information unless I offered it (Ted Murphy, now of Little Rock, Arkansas, USA)

I hope she is just taking a break from 3D stuff and the forums.

heart 

• you named yourself on the Forum though cheeky and I dare say there are a few with that name.

I have no more ways than anybody else to contact Misty and am actually uncertain of the spelling of her last name anyway (if it is real even, I presumed it was) her first name she has actually used here with Misty as in Mistylara so not as mysterious wink

Yeah, I am sort of protected by the number of Murphys in the United States.  Supposedly, Murphy is the most common name in Ireland with about 50,000 people.  Meanwhile, there are over 300,00 Murphys in the US.  Googling me won't get people very far.

Not as common as Smith or Jones, etc, but common enough that the casual stalker will have trouble.  But anyone with determination can find just about anyone else.  

In completely unrelated off topic news, I saw that researchers found ancient cloth-making tools in Morocco that push back that the origin of that skill to over 100,000 years ago.  Wow.  I think the Sahara has been green and desert again a couple times since then.   https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/evidence-of-fur-and-leather-clothing-among-worlds-oldest-found-in-moroccan-cave-180978689/

I found a 70 year old from Little Rock.... hope your mail don't get mixed up laugh

I'm guessing you're not 70 years old yet! devil

In completely unrelated off topic news, I saw that researchers found ancient cloth-making tools in Morocco that push back that the origin of that skill to over 100,000 years ago.  Wow.  I think the Sahara has been green and desert again a couple times since then.   https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/evidence-of-fur-and-leather-clothing-among-worlds-oldest-found-in-moroccan-cave-180978689/

@Diomede That's cool, just my topic... thanks for posting it!  yesheart  SIlene