How-to Lengthen faces mid-object? **SOLVED**

31415926543141592654 Posts: 948
edited October 2021 in Hexagon Discussion

I am perplexed on what seems like it should be simple. If you make something like a barbershop pole - a long pole with caps on both ends and it is basically finished except it came out a little short - so you want to lengthen the pole between the caps. How do you do it? Most functions just effect the middle selected and do not move the top and bottom further away. I can probably delete a row of faces, move the top up, and bridge the gap ... but it feels like there should be a more elegant way to do this? In essence, I want to make the object taller without stretching the end caps. Thanks.

Post edited by 3141592654 on

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited October 2021

Did a few screen grabs, hopefully this is what you are trying to do. 

I managed to do it Catherinelaugh Thank you.

Barber's Pole.jpg
    1920 x 1036 - 671K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Wee Dangerous John said:

YAY! There it is. I knew there had to be a better way. Thank you very much.  [Although techinically I had to manually select everything at both ends since my object is more complex and no longer symmetrical enough for automation]. Really good graphic and instructions by the way.

• Thank you, glad you got it sorted.

I'd like to see it when you have it finished, would you consider posting a render (or any other image) in the Hex Gallery ?

I managed to do it Catherinelaugh Thank you.

Yes you did! Congrats :-) 

I'd like to see it when you have it finished, would you consider posting a render (or any other image) in the Hex Gallery ?

Yes I will do that. I have a couple items to finish the meshwork on and texturing, but I will post some renders when it is done. I might post a couple screenshots of the hexagon work before that. So keep following this thread. I will be texturing in 3DCoat and Rendering with Daz.

• 3141592654 - Just sent you a PM

• Ooops. I forgot about this thread. Sorry. It is, in part, because I am still making y object and variations thereof. Here is a sample of the basic work of a scroll - but I am making a cover and accessories as well. The question above was actually specifcally geared toward lengthening the spindle as it was too short after I made the rollers on the ends.

satoscrollA.jpg
    1617 x 638 - 100K