Carrara Challenge #60 - Go - (get it? 60? Go? sorry...) - WIP Thread

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

ed3D said:

~  was supposeing to Re-Make an old Bryce one   _   they_re_off_by_darkkiell_deviantart 1

the title is "'they're off in a cloud of smoke & a gallon of oil'"
    _...

_ and a couple of other ideas ,  also  _  Thanx

Looking forward to how these progress !!!

Stezza said:

a pair of GO sunnies modelled using the text tool

Love the googly sunnies !!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Thanks for the comment, Bunyip

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited October 2021

Lean, mean LoRez Lorenzo

GOing trick or treating

used Halloween House & props and ron's spider webs

modelled the glasses, bow tie, hat, banana and trick bag and ghost with eyes

lorezHalloweenWiP.jpg
    1531 x 778 - 239K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza said:

Lean, mean LoRez Lorenzo

GOing trick or treating

Nice render !!!

Stezza said:

Lean, mean LoRez Lorenzo

GOing trick or treating

Clean sheets make go-od clean fun, Stezza.  Cool idea and excellent delivery.  LoRez man Go-es to the best trick or treat spots.  

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Stezza said:

Lean, mean LoRez Lorenzo

GOing trick or treating

now that's one mean bannana - great lateral thinking on the goog sunglasses :)

Diomede said:

Thanks for the comment, UB.  I like that the GMIC filter process gave Speed a grittier look as if for a modern reboot.

Here is my final Go Speed Go Fanart.  Primary differences include some adjustments to a couple lines around the right eye, distinguished the skin from the gloves, and recropped the image.

Hope the result is an improvement as I intend it to be final image.  Sorry, Speed, I am done with you!

terrific image this one Diomede, I can see it on the cover of a pulp novel circa 1974 

Bunyip02 said:

Go into Orbit

WIP

Render

I can see the Earth shuddering, Terrific feeling of bursting out of the atmosphere! Those jets are white Carrara fire?

Diomede said:

Sponsorship Update

Daz3D is generously continuing to sponsor the monthly challenges.  No one person can win more than one category.

$50 Daz3D Original Store Credit (DOSC) - Single Image - Most Votes  (and honor of first right of refusal to host the next challenge)

$50 (DOSC) - Single Image - 2nd Most Votes

$50 (DOSC) - Participant - Most Votes of All Entries Combined

$45 (DOSC) - Participant - 2nd Most Votes of All Entries Combined

In determining the results, I will count the results for most for a single image first.  Then eliminate that person from further calculations of other categories.  Then down the line.

Thank you, Daz3D

The first post has been updated.

great news Ted,  thank you.

Thanks everyone for the comments on my renders. And the GO GAME

@UnifiedBrain, yes there's more light and colour in the first, good point!

ELEMENTS 2022 appears to just have a bell or whistle added.

Can't really see any benefit over Elements 2018.

That said havn't tried the mirrored Sunglass thing.

The colouring of the black and white image is basically you select an area with the magic wand thingy and choose a colour.

I thought it would be more automatic..The selection process is dull and boring and must be done by hand....

On first thoughts it was a waste of money.

edited October 2021

The Go Game I couldn't figure out what to do with so I put these shrunken K4's in the middle.

The scene is mainly lit by caustics. The whole scene is withinn a giant sphere with a 100 percent reflection shader.

"Go Go Players"

unpreposted 

Below is the first version which I abandonned

the background is reflection from the giant mirrored sphere

GameOfGoDancers.jpg
    2000 x 2155 - 2M
    GameOfGo.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 4M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited October 2021

Go Go Dancers - same again lots of caustics, lots of mirrored planes. Yes they are wearing pants

Prepost and post post

GoGoDance2r.jpg
    2000 x 2001 - 3M
    Untitled-3.jpg
    2000 x 1745 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:

Go into Orbit

WIP

Render

I can see the Earth shuddering, Terrific feeling of bursting out of the atmosphere! Those jets are white Carrara fire?

Thanks !!!

Yes Carrara Fire with colour adjusted. Also used Primivol : Rising Smoke for the smoke trails

Headwax said:

The Go Game I couldn't figure out what to do with so I put these shrunken K4's in the middle.

The scene is mainly lit by caustics. The whole scene is withinn a giant sphere with a 100 percent reflection shader.

"Go Go Players"

Excellent !!!

Headwax said:

Go Go Dancers - same again lots of caustics, lots of mirrored planes. Yes they are wearing pants

Prepost and post post

They didn't have dancers like that outside bookshops when I was younger !!! Nice render !

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

~  was supposeing to Re-Make an old Bryce one   _   they_re_off_by_darkkiell_deviantart 1

the title is "'they're off in a cloud of smoke & a gallon of oil'"
    _...

_ and a couple of other ideas ,  also  _  Thanx

Looking forward to how these progress !!!

~  alrite then ,, thanx 

Diomede said:

Welcome to the party, ed3D.  Pretty cool idea to update the rocket.  Looking forward to where you take it.

~  alrite then ,,, thanx   ~

Headwax said:

Prepost and post post

reminds me of Duke Nukem! yes 

Bunyip02 said:

Go into Orbit

WIP

Render

is that you up there Bill?..

awesome smiley 

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:

Go into Orbit

WIP

Render

Thanks !!!

Yes Carrara Fire with colour adjusted. Also used Primivol : Rising Smoke for the smoke trails

thanks IU always forget about Primivol - looks terrific

@Bunyip02 ah you must have hung around the wrong Bookshops! :) Thanks for the comments on the works.

Thanks @Stezza, a first person shooter? Wow you must be old :) I played Duke Nukem once sometime last century but vertigo took a hold and I had to visit the bathroom....!

ed3D said:

Diomede said:

Welcome to the party, ed3D.  Pretty cool idea to update the rocket.  Looking forward to where you take it.

@ed3D ah I second that, welcome to the party, looking forwrad to seeing another great work from you

Stezza said:

Bunyip02 said:

Go into Orbit

Render

is that you up there Bill?..

awesome smiley 

Thanks !!!

Headwax said:

ed3D said:

Diomede said:

@ed3D ah I second that, welcome to the party, looking forwrad to seeing another great work from you

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Headwax said:

ELEMENTS 2022 appears to just have a bell or whistle added.

Can't really see any benefit over Elements 2018.

That said havn't tried the mirrored Sunglass thing.

The colouring of the black and white image is basically you select an area with the magic wand thingy and choose a colour.

I thought it would be more automatic..The selection process is dull and boring and must be done by hand....

On first thoughts it was a waste of money.

Thanks HW.  I think that I will stick with 2018. :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2021

Headwax said:

Prepost and post post

I have to admit, you kind of boggled me with this one.  Not your normal subject matter. :)  The greenish lighting fits perfectly.  It would make a great cover to a pulp detective novel. yes

Thanks for mentioning caustics - again.  Nice effect.  I keep forgetting to play with it.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited October 2021

Go Back in Time

Actually I started this as an independent project but decided it might make a good Challenge entry also.  The archaeologists have been busy in the middle of North America.  One of the sites they found is within a daytrip of me.  It is a large town or small city that popped up almost overnight in the Mississippi Valley, lasted centuries, then was almost as suddenly abandoned.  However archeaologists identify these things, it appears that this was a planned community built as one enterprise by people moving earth with baskets to completely flatten a large are, build concentric half circular ridges around a large plaza, all overlooked by a large earthen mound to the rear.  There were straight roads from the plaza through the half-circles.  They built their huts on the concentric circles.  This was before maize was a major crop in the area so their diet was primarily fish, river plants, and small game.  I don't even think they had the bow and arrow yet.  Pretty amazing.

Poverty Point, Louisiana is the name of the world heritge site.  Here is a reference pic and my attempt to use the Carrara terrain editor to approximate the basic layout of the town.  You can't see from the reference because it is a view from above but they leveled the entire area of the town.  More details to be added.

heritage site website = Welcome to Poverty Point World Heritage Site | Louisiana Travel

aa01 poverty point reference.jpg
    600 x 572 - 76K
    aa02 poverty point landscape terrain try.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 150K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Headwax said:

Diomede said:

terrific image this one Diomede, I can see it on the cover of a pulp novel circa 1974 

Thanks for the kind words.

Headwax said:

"Go Go Players"

unpreposted 

Below is the first version which I abandonned

the background is reflection from the giant mirrored sphere

This is great.  I need to spend more time learning light and caustics and refractions and reflections and all that good stuff.

Headwax said:

Prepost and post post

Repeat what I said about light and caustics.  Interesting change of subject matter.  The darkness and contrast of the boots helps sell the image for me.  I can almost hear the beat.

Ub saideth: I have to admit, you kind of boggled me with this one.  Not your normal subject matter. :)  The greenish lighting fits perfectly.  It would make a great cover to a pulp detective novel. yes

Thanks for mentioning caustics - again.  Nice effect.  I keep forgetting to play with it.

@UnifiedBrain Thank you. Yes I admit to having had to look far and wide to find some skimpwear for V4. I must have led a sheltered life :)  Pleasure for the elements review, too,

@Diomede said: 

This is great.  I need to spend more time learning light and caustics and refractions and reflections and all that good stuff.

and Repeat what I said about light and caustics.  Interesting change of subject matter.  The darkness and contrast of the boots helps sell the image for me.  I can almost hear the beat.

thank you Caustics is kind of miss and hit, but it gives you surprises - whcih is always good in digital work.

One trick I learnt is to add lots of reflections to the floor, turn on caustics, then render without reflection - so the whole floor becomes a kind of liught source

Here's a simple scene. The sphere is in a hollow bod whose surface is 100 percent reflection, casutics turned on but reflections turned off.

The render without caustics is the bottom left one - the one without shadows I turned soft shadows on. The light source is one bulb.

You can see how  in some images the light reflected from the floor is forming a nice ring of light at t he bottom of the sphere.

caustics1.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1010K