49th Bryce Render Challenge (Ancient Times)

ApocApoc Posts: 407
edited October 2021 in Bryce Discussion

Intro :  

Thanks to mermaid for pointing this out, we have alot of old ideas from chohole to get through. Hopefully this theme is too redundant. I will make sure the themes from the list is random as possible. Also thank you to horo and mermaid pointing out that the last contest was indeed a bit too long. Going forward, I will try to stick to the setup being a month and a half, with future contests starting on the middle of the month. If anyone has any new theme ideas. feel free to let me know. I am not always able to respond in a timely manner, but I do read the comments. Thank you all for your patience with me 

Bryce Contest #49 
                                              Theme:  Ancient Times

Description: 

Ancient times. Whether if your walking the old streets of Rome, Indiana Jones' in a lost temple, an ancient tree made out of long forgotten magic, or exploring civilization destroyed long ago. There will always be an aura of mystery in the air. Never too old to be forgotten, but far away from young, where history distort itself, transforming into a story of your own imagination.  Feel free to embellish your own identity into what makes something ancient.

Your imagination is the only limit   

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules

• 

All renders must be new renders.
  • 

You can enter up to 3 renders.
  • 

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS
  • 

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.
  • 

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

• Please submit your works before the deadline

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

Challenge ends December 1st 2021:  (Extra time will be given if needed)

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist place $30     2nd place $20     3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honorable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by a poll which will be set up at closure of the challenge.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose

Post edited by Apoc on

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Nice theme, Apoc. Don't worry if your way of organising is a bit different from what Chohole did. You will find your own rythm.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955

Interesting Theme, thanks Apoc for keeping the challenges and Chohole's memories alive. I agree with Hansmar, you will find your own rythm and what works best for you.

• a new theme - thanks for it, Apoc. You are doing a good Job here for us....

• Yeah, a new theme and a cool one too.
    Thank you apoc and no hassle. We all do this because we enjoy it and we thank you for making this possible for us.

Here is my first entry:

Ruins of the forgotten cult. 

Forgotten Cult.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091

apoc - thanks for all your orgranisational efforts for this community. I love watching the entries for these contests (and sometimes even manage to make something myself)

drachenlords - wow, great first entry! So much detail in there, I love it.

Wow that was quick Drachenlords, an awesome entry, I love it too.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

drachenlords - indeed an awesome entry, the idea and how it is done with all the details.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949

Horo said:

drachenlords - indeed an awesome entry, the idea and how it is done with all the details.

+ 1  ~

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Nice scene, Drachenlords.

Do you have a lossless picture as well? I notice that lately you use very compressed jpg pictures for your works, like you save them with 60% quality or something :(

Some of us enjoy crispy look that Bryce can have.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

drachenlords : wow, impressive entry.

drachenlords: fantastic render. I feel a bit hesitant to enter, after seeing something like that surprise

• BlackSnowSkyBlackSnowSky Posts: 10
    edited October 2021

Flagrant Rip-Off #1

A statue of Tiggerius the Fierce still stands guard at the ancient ruins of the port of Tiggeropolis. Chartered tours available starting at 49.95 tiggerbucks with proceeds benefiting the Tiggerworld Antiquities Preservation Fund.

The title is a reference to this being inspired by a few pieces by my favorite artist. Until now, I never had more than a vague idea as to what it would look like, but I've been wanting to make this for a long time now. Thanks to everyone here at the Bryce fora for helping me finally get this thing done.

Gasclouds_A1_3840; Horo's Fog applied to six spheres and adjusted a bit here and there; 21 terrains, 15 for the rocks and six for the ripples on the water; five radial and eight parallel lights; Jungle Ruins; Lycanthropos with a tiger's head from one of the morph packs; six picture planes in front of the mountains with fog and clouds made with some of Ron's Brushes; the loincloth from Battle Gear; I can't remember what Daz products the urn stand and spear are from.

fron1-1020.jpg
    773 x 1020 - 793K
    Post edited by BlackSnowSky on

BlackSnowSky : wow, great idea, very elaborate render, good work.

• huberthubert Posts: 410

drachenlords: An epic scene! Great composition and wonderful details. Perfect for a game.

BlackSnowSky: A cool idea. Great POV, mats and atmosphere. I like also that color contrast which sets the focus to the statue.

BlackSnowSky - wow very impressive work, well done.

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821
    edited October 2021

@ MelanieL: Thank you.

@ mermaid: Thank you.

@ Horo: Thank you.

@ ed3D: Thank you.

@ akmerlow: I don't really know what you mean. The image is rendered with 64 rays and saved with maximum quality.
    I only made it a little softer in postwork.
    May be a matter of taste, I like it better that way.

@ adbc: Thank you.

@ Hansmar: Thank you. Why are you considering joining? Your work is definitely good enough to want to see it. Come on.

@ BlackSnowSky: Very good perspective. Wonderful light and an impressive sky. Very good work.

@ Hubert: Thank you. 

Post edited by drachenlords on

@ drachenlords

Ok, maybe it gets like that during post-work. Also personally i learned to not use much "save image as" and choose "export image" instead, in Bryce.

• Drachenlords, what a great entry. Perfect done.

Black Snow Sky: wonderful Entry too.

Hansmar: I like your Entries... and I hope you will show us more.

BlackSnowSky - that looks excellent and is also a great idea.

BlackSnowSky - I like the lighting and atmosphere there, colours too. Very striking image.

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821
    edited October 2021

My second entry:
    A Day in Pompeii ...

The volcano and cloud were made in Bryce, the lava bombs are 2D faces, the fire on the mountain, where the lava runs into the forest, was added in postwork. The sky is an background picture.

A Day in Pompeii.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by drachenlords on

Wow Drachenlords, another magnificent entry, awesome work

drachenlords - outstanding work again.

• Thank you, Mermaid and Horo.

drachenlords - another impressive entry, wonderful ash clouds!

• Thank you, MalanieL.

drachenlords : excellent work, as always.

• Drachenlords, another great Entry.

Blacksnowsky: A wonderful moody render. Great use of clouds/fog.

Drachenlords: Horrible situation, but very well made render. 'Last day in Pompei' I suppose.

drachenlords said:

My second entry:
    A Day in Pompeii ...

Wow, nice scene. Ancient history, never forget.