Carrara Challenge #60 - Go - (get it? 60? Go? sorry...) - WIP Thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Ub saideth: I have to admit, you kind of boggled me with this one.  Not your normal subject matter. :)  The greenish lighting fits perfectly.  It would make a great cover to a pulp detective novel. yes

Thanks for mentioning caustics - again.  Nice effect.  I keep forgetting to play with it.

@UnifiedBrain Thank you. Yes I admit to having had to look far and wide to find some skimpwear for V4. I must have led a sheltered life :)  Pleasure for the elements review, too,

@Diomede said: 

This is great.  I need to spend more time learning light and caustics and refractions and reflections and all that good stuff.

and Repeat what I said about light and caustics.  Interesting change of subject matter.  The darkness and contrast of the boots helps sell the image for me.  I can almost hear the beat.

thank you Caustics is kind of miss and hit, but it gives you surprises - whcih is always good in digital work.

One trick I learnt is to add lots of reflections to the floor, turn on caustics, then render without reflection - so the whole floor becomes a kind of liught source

Here's a simple scene. The sphere is in a hollow cube whose surface is 100 percent reflection, - casutics turned on but reflections turned off.

The render without caustics is the bottom left one - the one without shadows I turned soft shadows on. The light source is one bulb.

You can see how  in some images the light reflected from the floor is forming a nice ring of light at t he bottom of the sphere.

The different renders have various caustics parameters twiddled with.

Diomede said:

Go Back in Time

Actually I started this as an independent project but decided it might make a good Challenge entry also.  The archaeologists have been busy in the middle of North America.  One of the sites they found is within a daytrip of me.  It is a large town or small city that popped up almost overnight in the Mississippi Valley, lasted centuries, then was almost as suddenly abandoned.  However archeaologists identify these things, it appears that this was a planned community built as one enterprise by people moving earth with baskets to completely flatten a large are, build concentric half circular ridges around a large plaza, all overlooked by a large earthen mound to the rear.  There were straight roads from the plaza through the half-circles.  They built their huts on the concentric circles.  This was before maize was a major crop in the area so their diet was primarily fish, river plants, and small game.  I don't even think they had the bow and arrow yet.  Pretty amazing.

Poverty Point, Louisiana is the name of the world heritge site.  Here is a reference pic and my attempt to use the Carrara terrain editor to approximate the basic layout of the town.  You can't see from the reference because it is a view from above but they leveled the entire area of the town.  More details to be added.

heritage site website = Welcome to Poverty Point World Heritage Site | Louisiana Travel

that's pretty wow Ted, I'm impressed how well your landcspae mirrors the top pdf

edited October 2021

Heres a random figure dropped in the same spot as the sphere - two bulbs at 50 percent one red and one green

the left hand pic has no caustics, the two red right hand ones have diferrent photo counts

Untitled-2.jpg
    2430 x 1100 - 573K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Thanks for the explanation and demonstration, HeadWax.  And for the comment on the landscape.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Headwax said:

Diomede said:

Go Back in Time

that's pretty wow Ted, I'm impressed how well your landcspae mirrors the top pdf

+1 Impressive !!! yes

Diomede said:

Thanks for the explanation and demonstration, HeadWax.

+1 again !!! yes

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited October 2021

On this challenge, I wanted to see if I could use Vyusur's Genesis clone for Genesis 8 and Vice Versa to fit Genesis 2 and 3 clothes to Genesis.

I decided to use StarSlayer Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s) as a test. It's a close fitted body suit with gloves and boots and errors could be easily spotted

So, I did it in two stages:

1. First I fitted the cloth to Genesis 8 female and saved it as a wearable preset.
    2. Then I fitted this saved preset to stephanie 5 and selected VyusurGenesis8FemaleClone as original figure

Autofit

It worked perfectly.

Fitted

I saved the figure and the clothes as a scene subset and could import it in Carrara without  problems.

So now, it seems that I can fit clothes from any generation to Genesis. Fine !

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited October 2021

My idea for this challenge was "Go for it !"

I didn't know what to go for, so I decided to create an image reflecting that: a character going for it, decidedly, but without clues given to what it's going for wink

So, is she fleeing from something or running toward something, and, if so, is it something bad or nice ? It's up to you to decide.

To set the scene, i used the excellent Sci-fi Corridor A from Petipet, one of my favorite PA

This is the scene setup:

Carrara Scene

Render is done with Octane. I just love the way Octane light those closed spaces with multiple lights.

Octane render

Studio1.png
    553 x 563 - 102K
    studio2.png
    461 x 586 - 132K
    Carrara.png
    1920 x 1036 - 2M
    doc9.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Philemo_Carrara said:

I didn't know what to go for, so I decided to create an image reflecting that: a character going for it, decidedly, but without clues given to what it's going for wink

So, is she fleeing from something or running toward something, and, if so, is it something bad or nice ? It's up to you to decide.

To set the scene, i used the excellent Sci-fi Corridor A from Petipet, one of my favorite PA

This is the scene setup:

Carrara Scene

Render is done with Octane. I just love the way Octane light those closed spaces with multiple lights.

Octane render

A very high quality realism render, Philmo.  Lighting and scene setup is terrific.  Always happy to see you posting in the Challenge. yes

I was unclear about the clone instructions.  But very nice that it works!

Philemo_Carrara said:

Octane render

Gorgeous render, love the sense of action !!!

Philemo_Carrara said:

On this challenge, I wanted to see if I could use Vyusur's Genesis clone for Genesis 8 and Vice Versa to fit Genesis 2 and 3 clothes to Genesis.

I decided to use StarSlayer Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s) as a test. It's a close fitted body suit with gloves and boots and errors could be easily spotted

So, I did it in two stages:

1. First I fitted the cloth to Genesis 8 female and saved it as a wearable preset.
    2. Then I fitted this saved preset to stephanie 5 and selected VyusurGenesis8FemaleClone as original figure

It worked perfectly.

I saved the figure and the clothes as a scene subset and could import it in Carrara without  problems.

So now, it seems that I can fit clothes from any generation to Genesis. Fine !

wonder ful render, loving the viewpoint and the scene itself - and thanks for the headsup on Veronika's Genesis thingo. I have it but havn't used it yet.

edited October 2021

Obviously great minds think alike. This is what I was finishing op when I saw Philemeno's amazing render.

Preprepost work

The second from left Ichap if you look at his face I had a go at sweat with a surface replicator - ended up doing most of it on post

Untitled-2.jpg
    959 x 993 - 412K
    4runningmeprepostn.jpg
    2664 x 2000 - 2M

Headwax said:

Obviously great minds think alike. This is what I was finishing op when I saw Philemeno's amazing render.

Nice, getting a Chariots of Fire feel to it !!!

Thank you @Bunyip02 :)

here's ahopefully a more succinct crop

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited November 2021

just playing with something

maybe this angle at the beginning of the video doesn't reveal much

not an entry BTW cheeky

Final Resting Place Cake

go600000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 594K
    Capture.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 310K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Video

is it a cake

or a landscape

there is no escape

as you approach the date

and meet your fate 

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

Video

is it a cake

or a landscape

there is no escape

as you approach the date

and meet your fate 

Very, very clever.  Not obvious at first.

Thank you for the kind comments on the start of my ancient town, Bunyip, etc.

Philemo. Great choice of the camera angle, and great sense of movement.  The final image is Go-ing to be super.

Headwax - yet another great interpretation delivered so quickly.  Maybe I should shorten the timing?  No, I won't do that.  But wow, the combination of quality and speed has been most impressive.  I was afraid no one would have any ideas.

Wendy - You go, girl!  Now that is an elegant solution to the challenge.  Bravo.

Happy Halloween and all that.  

diomede said Headwax - yet another great interpretation delivered so quickly.  Maybe I should shorten the timing?  No, I won't do that.  But wow, the combination of quality and speed has been most impressive.  I was afraid no one would have any ideas.

thank you, ah it's a good theme, open to lots of interpretations - just a matter of time free..

lovely work Wendy - it's like the olive bread I was making in lookdown = except it wasnt gogogo bread

edited November 2021

Go Go Go - Over The Top

Lots of fog in this. Used some low res figures from a sale a longtime ago.

The image is big if you want to click it.

Unadulterated render. Moon by Carrara

GoGo4prepost.jpg
    2000 x 1514 - 918K
  • Headwax said:

Go Go Go - Over The Top

Well done.  Terrific camera angle, poses textures, and lighting.  Also, I ithink those low-rez figures dumbed it down in a positive way, and made it look more like an actual painting.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949
    edited November 2021

Headwax said:

Go Go Go - Over The Top

.= Unadulterated render. Moon by Carrara =

~  pretty good _

_ and did You see this Bryce Moon by Dave Savage ?? called:  Bad Moon Rising (FREE Bryce Moon Prop)

well, worth looking at,,,  Thanx

Post edited by ed3D on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2021

Kid Caruso Goes the Distance

In boxing, "going the distance" means making it to the very end of all scheduled rounds.  It can apply to other activities as well. wink

M4 is the boxer.  Hair is Royal Prince.  The environment is a kitbash of freebies plus old products plus MatCreator textures.  G8F is in the background.

Boxing gloves are Z Boxing Gloves made for G8.  I loaded these glove props directly into Carrara with no conversion.  There was a brief hiccup - Carrara flashed weirdly for a moment - but then they surprisingly worked.  I guess that sometimes Carrara also goes the distance. smiley

Multiple GMIC filters.  Even a bit of caustics, thanks HW. :)

No postwork.

Kid Caruso Goes the Distance 1.png
    1300 x 1482 - 3M
    Kid Caruso Carrara setup.JPG
    1561 x 1023 - 279K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

@UnifiedBrain thank you - yes they were odd, I had to drop the constraints to pose them and then things went from go to woe! 

@ed3D thank you, thanks for the moon heads up too - will checki it out

UnifiedBrain said:

In boxing, "going the distance" means making it to the very end of all scheduled rounds.  It can apply to other activities as well. wink

M4 is the boxer.  Hair is Royal Prince.  The environment is a kitbash of freebies plus old products plus MatCreator textures.  G8F is in the background.

Boxing gloves are Z Boxing Gloves made for G8.  I loaded these glove props directly into Carrara with no conversion.  There was a brief hiccup - Carrara flashed weirdly for a moment - but then they surprisingly worked.  I guess that sometimes Carrara also goes the distance. smiley

Multiple GMIC filters.  Even a bit of caustics, thanks HW. :)

No postwork.

amazing render! amazing bump mapping! and the lights in the eyes - terrific.

kind of canny uncanny valley effect

And the back story is the icing on the cake!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

brings back memories of 1975 

'She may not be able to wrestle but you should see her box!'

smiley

Headwax said:

Go Go Go - Over The Top

Awesome, definately a painterly look !!!

UnifiedBrain said:

Very nice portrait !!!

Keep going, everyone.  The WIPs are stunning.

- HeadWax - Timely tribute to Armistice Day.  Very moving image.  Got me doing some net surfing.  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/listen-moment-guns-fell-silent-ending-world-war-i-180970772/

- Headwax - Director, time for my closeup!  Multiple entendres.  Works on every level.

My holiday plans are beginning to firm up.  Don't think I will have any conflicts with my thread management duties, but if anyone needs extra time, or has some other issue, don't hesitate.  I will be away from my main computer and relying on my laptop.  Will let everyone know if that causes any issues.

• HW and Bunyip, thanks for the comments!

HW, yes, kind of realistic, but with no attempt to force the issue on every element.  I keep drawing inspiration from the old Dutch and Italian masters.  Not a brush stroke or canvas texture in sight, and amazingly realistic, or maybe more interesting than real.

Bunyip, portraits yes, I especially like working with human textures.  Hoping to show that the Carrara render engine can give IRAY a run foir its money.

Stezza, you have a way with words. :)  .I have a Fokker render coming shortly....or maybe a Messerschmitt?