Need your advice on purchasing a PC for Daz 3D Rendering

RoseSaxtonRoseSaxton Posts: 38
Update: I got a nice rig at Microcenter with a 3080 graphics card and a 4k monitor for $3,700. See my comment for specs.

Update: Newegg wouldn't process my order. I'm still shopping.

Update: I decided on a PC purchased from newegg with these specs:

ABS Legend Gaming PC - Intel i9-11900K - GeForce RTX 3090 - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - 1TB M.2 Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 7000 SSD - AIO Air Cooling - 13 USB ports  2 HDMI ports

$4,300 including tax. https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali543/p/N82E16883360163?Item=N82E16883360163

Still working on the monitor.

Thanks to AgitatedRiot and bvgiroux_fbbb1654d3 and everyone else for helping me so much. I'm amazed at the level of knowledge in this forum and how nice everyone is. 

I have a $4K max budget to purchase a desktop PC and monitor.  (I have decided not to get a laptop based on advice in this forum.)

What do you think of this tower for $3,000?
https://xoticpc.com/collections/g6-h510/products/g6-h510-z490?conf=523473 ;

Chassis: XOTIC G6 H510 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GEFORCE RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X** ** Requires a 750W PSU min (Upgrading to 3080 12GB adds $480, uprading to 3090 24GB adds $1100)

Processor: INTEL CORE I9-10900K (20MB CACHE, 3.7 - 5.3GHZ, 10 CORE | 20 THREAD ) 125W + 240MM AIO

Desktop RAM: 64GB DDR4 3200MHZ CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX (2X32GB) DIMM MEMORY

OSD: 1TB XOTIC PC CERTIFIED GEN 3

Mobo: MSI MAG B560M BAZOOKA (4X DIMMS, 1X PCIE 3.0 X16, 2X M.2 SOCKET)

Power Supply: FRACTAL DESIGN 760W ION PLATINUM POWER SUPPLY UNIT

No cooling system upgrades

---

What about this 24.5" MONITOR for $400?

MSI OPTIX MAG251RX https://xoticpc.com/products/msi-optix-24-5-fhd-1920-x-1080-240hz-1ms-16-9-g-sync-ips-gaming-monitor-optix-mag251rx

Question: This doesn't say the resolution but I assume it's 1440? Should I get the monitor someplace else? XOTIC doesn't have many monitors for sale. Should I look for a 4K monitor? 

Rapid IPS – 1ms GTG fast response time
240Hz Refresh Rate 
VESA Certified  DisplayHDR 400 
Night Vision 
USB Type C 
NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible technology 
Frameless design 

Thank you ahead of time for your help. This is my first purchase of an expensive rig. I'd like to be able to view my renders in Iray while editing and I want reduced render time from my existing MX110 that fails in Iray viewing. I would like to try animation eventually with very short videos less than 1 minute. I don't plan to play games on this PC although family members will do so.  

My current desktop: Dell Inspiron 27 AIO, 27 inch, FHD Touchscreen, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA MX110 2GB, 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD Storage, 16GB RAM, i7790-7388SLV-PUS, 15-1 $1,600

Post edited by RoseSaxton on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,293

PSU = Power Supply Unit, and the listed 650W one isn't going to be enough

• PerttiA said:

PSU = Power Supply Unit, and the listed 650W one isn't going to be enough

Thank you. I upgraded it to 750W for $75. Should I go higher? This is the plug that goes into the wall? 

• Here's what I would change:

EK-Vardar EVO Black fan - more cooling=more gooder.  Especially when you're doing heavy loads like rendering, you want to beef up the cooling as much as possible
    Intel® Core™ i9-11900K (16MB Cache, 3.5 - 5.3GHz, 8 core | 16 thread ) 125W + 240MM AIO - looks weaker on paper, but it's a better CPU; Daz doesn't care as much about CPU cores as it cares about GPU
    MSI MPG Z590 GAMING PLUS (4X DIMMS, 3X PCI-E 3.0 X16, 3X M.2 Socket) - The Z series motherboards allow for overclocking, which the K series CPUs are designed for
    EVGA 850W Gold Power Supply Unit - More power is also better; GPU needs 750W min, give it some overhead for upgrades
    500GB SAMSUNG 980 SSD GEN 3 - OS Drive
    1TB SAMSUNG 980 SSD GEN 3 - Your Daz drive
    Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste- GPU & CPU - again, splurge on better cooling, you won't regret it

That bumps you up to around $3485 for that build, but has a major focus on cooling and overclock-ability.

• I'd also consider a 4K monitor for rendering purposes.  Don't be married to that Xotic PC for everything. 

Here's a honkin' 32" LG monitor for $299 at newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/black-lg-32ud59-b-32/p/N82E16824025172

• Thank you so much. This helps immensely. Do you think the case I've chosen is big enough? I'd like to upgrade to 3090 eventually and maybe add more fans. I picked the cheapest case but now I think I need to look at the size?
  • RoseSaxton said:

Thank you so much. This helps immensely. Do you think the case I've chosen is big enough? I'd like to upgrade to 3090 eventually and maybe add more fans. I picked the cheapest case but now I think I need to look at the size?

If you're just going to be using this for rendering and no gaming, I don't see the point in getting an ultra-high refresh rate monitor as it won't contribute any performance boosts. If anything, I would invest in a more color-acurrate monitor of sufficient size. You should also do some more research if you haven't done so already, and determine what you actually need now in regards to rendering(scene size, render size, etc.) and how much you plan on growing vs. the system you intend to buy & its upgradeability. This way you'll be certain you're getting what you need with appropriate room to upgrade in the future.

• magog_a4eb71ab said:

RoseSaxton said:

Thank you so much. This helps immensely. Do you think the case I've chosen is big enough? I'd like to upgrade to 3090 eventually and maybe add more fans. I picked the cheapest case but now I think I need to look at the size?

If you're just going to be using this for rendering and no gaming, I don't see the point in getting an ultra-high refresh rate monitor as it won't contribute any performance boosts. If anything, I would invest in a more color-acurrate monitor of sufficient size. You should also do some more research if you haven't done so already, and determine what you actually need now in regards to rendering(scene size, render size, etc.) and how much you plan on growing vs. the system you intend to buy & its upgradeability. This way you'll be certain you're getting what you need with appropriate room to upgrade in the future.

This is an excellent point when it comes to the monitor.  If you're not planning on gaming, don't worry about refresh rate.  Look for something that has better colour quality.  In regards to the case, yes, if you have room for a larger case then it's better.  The case I have supports 360mm fans along the top and front of the case, which leaves lots of room for cooling.  If you're planning on getting a 3090 (which for this I really wouldn't recommend...you'd be leaving a lot of performance on the floor with Daz), you'll also want a wide case since it's a pretty tall card.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188

Getting a "Full" tower is the best for airflow and gives you a lot of room for upgrades. If the money allows then I would possibly think about getting liquid cooling for the CPU. I do some fairly heavy scene while developing packs and my computer never really goes about 39-40C. It idles at 32C and stays there unless my scenes get super heavy and there is a heavy load on the CPU. It was well worth the extra to me. I have a mid-tower so not much room with everything else in it, so I decided on the enclosed loop liquid cooling because I didn't think I'd get proper airflow for what I was going to be putting it through.

• frank0314 said:

Getting a "Full" tower is the best for airflow and gives you a lot of room for upgrades. If the money allows then I would possibly think about getting liquid cooling for the CPU. I do some fairly heavy scene while developing packs and my computer never really goes about 39-40C. It idles at 32C and stays there unless my scenes get super heavy and there is a heavy load on the CPU. It was well worth the extra to me. I have a mid-tower so not much room with everything else in it, so I decided on the enclosed loop liquid cooling because I didn't think I'd get proper airflow for what I was going to be putting it through.

I want to add the liquid cooling. My concerns are that the case isn't big enough and they may leak. My son says they don't leak and they look "cool" so I'm open to trying if I can get it with the monitor and stay under 4K. Working on the suggestions now and I'll post my final setup when I'm done. Also good to know I probably won't need to upgrade to 3090. I think 64GB should be good for me for a while. I don't know if those are upgradable and I was reading about DDR5. I don't know if those will fit in the same slots if we ever upgrade.
  • Got liquid cooling on my system their self contain nowadays leaking only because of abuse when installing it. You really have to abuse them too.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited November 2021

Yeah the enclosed liquid cooling systems have a extremely small chance of leaking. It's the custom systems that pose a bigger risk but even that is fairly small.

Edit to add, take a look at this place as well for comparison. I buy from this place and they are reasonably priced and use good parts and their systems last.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • There is always cooling by immersion in oil.

• RoseSaxton said:

frank0314 said:

I want to add the liquid cooling. My concerns are that the case isn't big enough and they may leak. My son says they don't leak and they look "cool" so I'm open to trying if I can get it with the monitor and stay under 4K. Working on the suggestions now and I'll post my final setup when I'm done. Also good to know I probably won't need to upgrade to 3090. I think 64GB should be good for me for a while. I don't know if those are upgradable and I was reading about DDR5. I don't know if those will fit in the same slots if we ever upgrade.

Tbh, I wouldn't even worry about DDR5 at this point since its too early in the game, unless you don't mind being a beta-tester. When it comes to liquid cooling, your best bet is to avoid any kind of hardline/rigid tubing since this is more prone to leaks; especially if the unit is going to be shipped fully assembled or moved around frequently. It can also be a pain in the ass to deal with when you need to upgrade or replace other parts in the case.

• RoseSaxtonRoseSaxton Posts: 38
    edited November 2021

For cooling, the suggested STAGE 1: H20 CPU EK BLOCKS VARDAR FANS add $650 where the XOTIC PC CLosed loop ice cooling system for CPU 240MM Radiator only adds $100 so I'm thinking of doing that.

Oh wait. I found the other fan option. It is $92 for that Vardar EVO Black Fan. If I do the radiator cooling, do I need the Vardar Fan too?

One more question: I haven't added any NVME SSD under Storage Drive.  Is this something I add later? Is that different from the OSD 1TB SAMSUNG 980 SSD GEN 3?

I found that too. I hadn't realized there were drop downs under the + menus. I added the suggested there too and now I'm at $3,700 for the tower. I might as well just spend the full $4K since I'm doing this.

edited November 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

11 hours and counting ABS Legend Gaming PC - Intel i9-11900K - GeForce RTX 3090 - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - 1TB M.2 Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 7000 SSD - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Newegg.com

That actually looks really beautiful and I like that I don't have to design the box. I don't know that I need 3090 but wouldn't mind would be stoked having it for that price.

It puts me over $4K when I buy the monitor, but I'm open to it.

It has liquid cooling and 4 fans and I like the foot pedestals on the bottom and I like the design. It has a ton more ports than the XOTIC ones. This one has 7-8 13 USB and 2-HDMI, video, etc. The exotic cases have 3 USB and a microphone. That's it. No HDMI. The ports and the 3090 put this over the top for me.

Am I doing this? Any cons?

The reviews are hit and miss but some happy customers and it sounds like some issues with the power cable and RBG that I can deal with. 

Thoughts?

If I get a nice 4K monitor, I'm set for several years and my 11-year old son will flip his lid. 

It's probably much more machine than I need to model some single characters and do short animations, but I could grow into it or Daz can grow into it. I always like to buy ahead of what I need because I regret not getting better graphics cards on my last two PCs.

I also forgot to mention that I may need to run AutoCAD on this machine if my husband works from home again which is actually possible in the next few years depending on his work.

Screenshot 2021-11-27 1.58.55 PM.png
    658 x 720 - 532K
    Screenshot 2021-11-27 2.04.25 PM.png
    1089 x 836 - 79K
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,169
    edited November 2021

Does your TV have an HDMI port or display port? Pick up a cheap mouse and keyboard use the TV as a monitor save for the monitor you really really want.

Edit I have the GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Master. The Z590 is better. Room to build on top of that. So many hookups for SSD drives. 

Z590 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
    edited November 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

Does your TV have an HDMI port or display port? Pick up a cheap mouse and keyboard use the TV as a monitor save for the monitor you really really want.

I have an HDMI IN port on my Dell AIO and I might even have an HDMI cable somewhere from some other video stuff I used to do. Or I can purchase a cable if I can't find mine. Then I can use my existing computer as a monitor and my existing mouse and keyboard since this computer doesn't come with them.
    Actually a good idea and then I buy the monitor for Mother's Day. 

Screenshot 2021-11-27 2.18.20 PM.png
    1350 x 666 - 371K
  • This review is good from someone doing 3D renders. The other reviews are for the 3080. Is it too good to be true that this has a 3090 for this price?

It's risky because I could get a dud and be stuck dealing with their customer service, but I usually do take chances like that and get lucky. 

It sounds like I could look inside and fix any cable/spacing issues with a little research and I could upgrade the power supply if needed.

I don't care about RGB at all but I like the ports on this.

Screenshot 2021-11-27 2.35.48 PM.png
    1247 x 774 - 718K
  • Yeah, I gave you the wrong link for that board. I have been a gigabyte fan for a very long time. Even when the warranty runs out on the machine Gigabyte has a warrant on the motherboard for a few more years. I can't speak for their SSD.   

Z590 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

• 8 hrs left. before it's out of reach. 4699.99 regular price.

edited November 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

8 hrs left. before it's out of reach. 4699.99 regular price.

I'm probably going to do it because I'm exhausted from shopping. I'm going to research monitors another time, but I feel like I did my research and this is where I'm at. I'm just a little leary it's too good to be true. 

EDIT: I did it! $4300! LOL.

It's crazy but I really want my own characters for marketing my books. I might even be able to make characters for other authors someday. Gah! Thanks for your help. I'll tackle the monitor another time.

• Did they charge you tax? Protection Plan? 

edited November 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

Did they charge you tax? Protection Plan? 

$300 tax, but I decided to just go for it. I didn't buy a protection plan.  

ETA: I can also deduct the expense from my taxes because business expense.

• AgitatedRiot said:

8 hrs left. before it's out of reach. 4699.99 regular price.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm pretty sure this beast will be more than I need for a long time. I'm gonna be cranking out renders like crazy.  

• They don't collect taxes from my state.

• My payment didn't go through. I guess it exceeded my daily purchase limit. I have to call the bank on Monday so I might not get the deal on the 3090.
  • It's still at the same price today.

edited November 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

It's still at the same price today.

It was and I got the payment to go through using a third party payment plan. So I think it's a go now! 

It still says cancelled. Darn it.

I don't like Newegg. They locked my account and voided the transaction. 

• Weird been using them for years.