Iray not rendering

When I hit render, the render window pops up for about 2-3 seconds, then closes. No image is being displayed.

When i change the viewport to NVIDAI Iray preview, nothing is rendering.

I have CPU disabled on devices and CPU fallback turned off.

DAZ Studio 4.15 (64bit)

GPU: RTX2060

NVIDIA Driver 471.96

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188

How much system RAM do you have? Depending on your scene you can be running out of the 6GB of VRAM the RTX 2060 has. Try enabling CPU as well as GPU and try again and let us know.

• I have 16GB RAM. Scene is not complex. 1 figure, 1 object and 2 lights. 

Enabling CPU works but maxes out the CPU (i5-6400) and GPU is not being used at all.

Im sure the GPU rendered in the past.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited November 2021

You can adjust the number of cores that DS will use in your render settings. Sounds like the GPU is running out of its VRAM. How big are the texture maps being used in the products? If more than 4096x4096 try resaving them to this size first and try again. If they are highly detailed you probably won't want to go any smaller than that but if plane simple textures are on them you can go down to 800x800 Is there a lot of transparency maps being used as well? Which packs are you using to see if we possible have them to do some testing on?

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Texture maps are 4032x2268 (max.) Its basically a Gen 8 figure with a single texture image wrapping the entire model. And a backdrop model. And 2 lights. 

How do I adjust the number of cores used?

Objects used:

Gensis 8 Female

Render Studio - Infinity Cove

Hi-Drama Lights x2

I can provide Surface settings if required.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

What does your log say (Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File)?, do not copy the log to the message area, but attach the file to your post with "Attach a File" above "Post Comment" button.

Just a naked female with no clothing and hair?

• PerttiA said:

Just a naked female with no clothing and hair?

Yep.

Ive attached the log file. This time it rendered, but only took about 10 seconds and didnt fully finish.

txt
    txt
    DS_log.txt
    1M
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,574

It doesn't list your GPU at all.

If you go to Render Settings > Advanced under Devices, what is listed there?

• Original post shows Current Hardware Features.

Under dvices I have:

CPU

CUDA 0 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (WDDDM - Display)

You could try some older Nvidia driver (from Nvidia), the 2060 fails and since you have disabled CPU fallback, there is nothing left to render with and DS aborts rendering.
    Minimum Nvidia driver version for DS 4.15.0.2 is 451.48, https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

1.5   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): an illegal memory access was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer in <internal>:966)
    1.5   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): Failed to launch renderer
    1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): Device failed while rendering
    1.2   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060) is no longer available for rendering.
    1.2   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
    1.2   IRAY   rend error: Fallback to CPU not allowed.
    1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): an illegal memory access was encountered (while initializing memory buffer)
    1.2   IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983

Make sure you reboot when installing a Nvidia driver update.  I had similar symptoms when I didn't reboot when prompted by the Nvidia installer.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,171
    edited November 2021

Have you tried the studio driver? I didn't have problems with my old RTX 2060 with the game-ready drivers rendering? @Dartanbeck have you had problems with that 2060 I gave you? You have to have the CPU fall box checked in advance render settings for it to fall back on it.

Other than that I can't help.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • So I rolled back the NVIDIA drivers to 451.48, with CPU fallback turned OFF it renders and does it pretty quickly :D

The GPU is still only running at 1% and heating up pretty quickly. (Also have DAZ Studio set to Maximum Merformace in NVIDA settings, and MSI afterburner pushing it a bit more)

I'm curious as to why I cannot run the lastest NVIDIA drivers and if DAZ Studio has any fix on the way?

• and now its suddenly not working again :(

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,038

I have a Nvidia RTX 2060 card using Studio Driver 427.47 and, as long as everything fits on the card, it runs fine If it exceeds 5.8GB on the card it falls back to CPU, I have that ticked. I have also noticed if the RAM usage of my 32GB exceeds 20GB, I do other things in the background, it automatically drops to CPU even if the Graphic Ram stays below 5GB. Saving the scene, clearing it from Studio, loading it again and rendering seems to clear that...sometimes, not always :) If that fails I use Texture Map Resize script on non critical maps, those not in closeup, and lower the Resolution.

I notice too that you are using the Graphics Card to run your display which will use up some of the Graphics memory on the card. I would transfer the Display to the Onboard Graphics which will use the installed memory and not the Nvidia Graphics Card memory.

• Fishtales said:

I notice too that you are using the Graphics Card to run your display which will use up some of the Graphics memory on the card. I would transfer the Display to the Onboard Graphics which will use the installed memory and not the Nvidia Graphics Card memory.

How is that done? 

If it is a desktop unplug the monitor from the Graphics card and lug it into the graphics output from the motherboard which should be on the back plate somewhere above where the graphic card output is.

Looking at your log the Nvidia card is failing with an illegal memory access. Looking about I have found a post where using the Post Denoiser can cause this.

• I have unplugged both monitors from the GPU and only using one from the onboard gfx. I haven't been using the Post Desnoiser.

I have tried with CPU fallback turned OFF and its still crashing out.

I have tried with CPU fallback turned ON and its pushing the CPU to 100% and task manager is showing 0% GPU usage but 2.4/6.0 Dedicated GPU memory (see attached image of current render progress) but rendering. (taking 2+ hrs for a simple render)

I also dont have any options in NIVIDA Control Panel anymore.

I will attach the lastest logs once current render finishes.

By default, the Task Manager doesn't show Cuda activity.

GPU-Z https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ is a handy utility to see what's going on

• Really need to work out why its not rendering with GPU. 3+ hrs using CPU is not optimal or efficient.

Any compatibility issues with DAZ Studio 4.15 Pro?

Is there a better NVIDIA driver to try?

Are there maybe some other settings to check?

I'm also assuming now with the single monitor plugged into the onboard GFX, I wont have any GPU settings available for gaming? I used to have Daz Studio set to Maximum Performance in NVIDIA Control Panel, but I have NO options for anything anymore.

• Decided to go back to NVIDIA 472.47 Studio Drivers, turned off CUP fallback, same issue. (see log file)

txt
    txt
    ds_iray_log.txt

You removed too much from the log

Your video driver is showing as 27.21.14.5148, mine is 30.0.14.7247 so yours is older.

To see the Cuda Core usage click on where it says Copy and scroll down and choose Cuda.

• phoenixtmphoenixtm Posts: 41
    edited November 2021

Fishtales said:

Your video driver is showing as 27.21.14.5148, mine is 30.0.14.7247 so yours is older.

Previous screenshot was before update I now have version 30.0.14.7247

I've attached the full log files after trying to render again without CPU fallback and then with CPU fallback.

txt
    txt
    ds_iray_log_2.txt
    1M
    txt
    txt
    ds_iray_log_3.txt
    1M
    Post edited by phoenixtm on

So, the character is G2F and you are rendering in Iray... Does the character have 3DL or Iray materials?
    There was a reference to Metadata update, do you log in/sign in to DS?
    Do you use Iray or Texture shaded viewport?
    What are your rendering settings?

I have no idea what these are, but they don't sound good:
    Failed to create modifier: Iray Handle!
    Failed to create modifier: Enable Iray Matte!

• phoenixtmphoenixtm Posts: 41
    edited November 2021

PerttiA said:

So, the character is G2F and you are rendering in Iray... Does the character have 3DL or Iray materials?
    There was a reference to Metadata update, do you log in/sign in to DS?
    Do you use Iray or Texture shaded viewport?
    What are your rendering settings?

I have no idea what these are, but they don't sound good:
    Failed to create modifier: Iray Handle!
    Failed to create modifier: Enable Iray Matte!

Pretty sure the character has Iray materials. I logged into Daz Central, now looks like I have DS 4.16 :/ I use texture shaded viewport when rendering. I've included my render settings.

Post edited by phoenixtm on

The default materials for Genesis 2 were 3DL, some later ones did also have Iray option, but that's not a likely source for the problem, just some additional work that the system has to handle (conversion to Iray) when preparing to render.

At work at the moment and looks like it will take until 7-8PM before I get back home (11:28AM now), but I try checking your settings against mine when I do.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Check if one of the surfaces uses a map in .tif format, some .tif files can cause problems to recent versions of Iray.

• So I started a fresh scene. Just a sphere and the backdrop. I made sure each object had IRAY shaders. Same thing, GPU fails (see first log)

I decided to uninstall DS, but then found on old downloaded version of DS 4.12 on an external drive. So I fired it up, added a sphere, gave it an IRAY material, and set the viewport to IRAY. It began rendering and I could even see the CUDA power working in task manager.... but then it stopped after a while. Rendering failed. (see second log)

It looks like the GPUs are failing from this line of text;

2021-11-30 20:30:40.443 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend error: Error launching work to RTX
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.494 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend error: optixLaunch( m_pipeline,nullptr, get_address(m_device_data),m_device_data.bytes(), &sbt_params, launch_size,1,1) failed: Launch failure
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.498 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): unspecified launch failure (while launching CUDA renderer in <internal>:831)
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.498 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): Failed to launch renderer
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.498 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): Device failed while rendering
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.499 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.499 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: Fallback to CPU not allowed.
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.499 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend warn : Re-rendering iteration because of device failure
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.499 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render
    2021-11-30 20:30:40.500 Iray Render error: Internal rendering error.

I will attempt a fresh reinstall of DS 4.16 and see what happens, but im starting to think its the 2060. ]=

Any other suggestions? (and i kindly appriciate all the help guy <3)

• I tried again (yes, it is bordering insanity) but the scene began rendering again (sphere with iray material) then dropped out.

GPU only seemed to get to 2.3/6.0 memory usage. 

Have you tried removing the card, cleaning it and putting it back in making sure it is seated correctly and everything plugged in properly? Also make sure all the cooling fans are clean, working and the air flow isn't being blocked, the card might be overheating.