**Updated- Help with switching from Daz Central to IM and not messing things up.

FrauBlucherFrauBlucher Posts: 31

In the past I have been using daz central to install assets using its default location my C drive. Most of my assets now have been uninstalled because of space issues on my c drive and would like to use daz central install my assets on my external drive. Not the program, just the assets. I'm nervous making changes because of a prior instance (unrelated to this) where I thought I knew what I was doing and ended up messing something up so I am asking first.

I see the cog wheel where I can change base path location and daz studio install location. Is Base Path the correct one to change? I have read that I need to go into Daz Studio after and point it in the direction of the new drive and that seems simple enough. 

I plan on copying MyLibrary to the external hardrive too. Will my character presets, saved scenes and such still work? What is the safest way to not break those connections?

Post edited by FrauBlucher on

Comments

• Yes, that is the correct setting and yes, your existing saved cotnent will still work - the system is designed to not care where the content directory is, otherwise no one would be able to make add on content for sale. You will have to update the paths in DS - you can do this after making the chnage in Daz Central by downloading this script (link is above the code) and dragging the file into the Daz Studio viewport http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config_import/start

• Richard Haseltine said:

Yes, that is the correct setting and yes, your existing saved cotnent will still work - the system is designed to not care where the content directory is, otherwise no one would be able to make add on content for sale. You will have to update the paths in DS - you can do this after making the chnage in Daz Central by downloading this script (link is above the code) and dragging the file into the Daz Studio viewport http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config_import/start

Thank you Richard. I appreciate your quick response. Once my downloads into my external hard drive finish I will use that script. 

Thank you again for your help!!

Yes, that is the correct setting and yes, your existing saved cotnent will still work - the system is designed to not care where the content directory is, otherwise no one would be able to make add on content for sale. You will have to update the paths in DS - you can do this after making the chnage in Daz Central by downloading this script (link is above the code) and dragging the file into the Daz Studio viewport http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config_import/start

Thank you for your help with this Richard!

It worked really well and at this point I have thouroghly tested it and have been able to access all my saved scenes without a problem. I do have a followup question. What directory do I need to switch it back to so the program will update on my C: drive? Now that I have made this change Daz Central wants to load the program onto my external drive and doesn't give me the option to just update. Daz Studio 4.16 is on my C: drive and I would like to update it to 4.20. I did not customize anything with the original istallation through Daz Central, but I don't know what the default setting was. 

Again thank you so much for your help before. Your clear explanation made the process seem easy. 

• That is one of the drawbacks tio Daz Central, it allows the setting of only a single path (it's also, of coruse, one of its strengths as it avoids the confusion that can be caused by setting different paths for different things). I would have thought it would track where the files were initially installed and update those, or at least remove them before installing the new ones, but if you want to be able to keep applications on a different drive from the content you really need to use Install Manager https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager/ .

That is one of the drawbacks tio Daz Central, it allows the setting of only a single path (it's also, of coruse, one of its strengths as it avoids the confusion that can be caused by setting different paths for different things). I would have thought it would track where the files were initially installed and update those, or at least remove them before installing the new ones, but if you want to be able to keep applications on a different drive from the content you really need to use Install Manager https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager/ .

That is too bad. I like Daz Central, but I don't think I want to run the application on my external drive as it would probably make things run really slowly. 

Thank you for the link. I do have the install manager, I just have never used it on this computer before today....and I probably have already made a mistake. I copied the Daz Studio Install Location information from Daz Central and pasted into the Install Manager 64bit Software base location (which showed in IM it had been set to my external drive) . I then allowed the update and it appears that I installed it too deep in the directory. Thankfully Daz Studio 4.16 itself still works. 

What would my next step be? I attached images how my IM is set up and also how the files installed. 

Also, am I going to need to uninstall all my content using Daz Central and reinstall with IM? 

Thank you for your patience and help!

IMG_9562.jpg
    1811 x 1559 - 2M
    IMG_6181.jpg
    640 x 480 - 112K
  • On Windows use the Sniping Tool/Snip and Sketch to take screenshots - they will be more readable

You are setting the base path, not the location for Daz Studio itself, so that would be the 64-Bit folder (and the the /Daz 3d/Studio 4/ will be added by the installer).

On Windows use the Sniping Tool/Snip and Sketch to take screenshots - they will be more readable

You are setting the base path, not the location for Daz Studio itself, so that would be the 64-Bit folder (and the the /Daz 3d/Studio 4/ will be added by the installer).

So it sounds like I need to get rid of everything after 64bit and see if the update will go through again. 

Thank you for your help!

My apologies for the poor quality of the images.